Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NY Times article: In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back (Read 20122 times) previous topic - next topic

NY Times article: In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back

Reply #50
For the general case of reproducing a soundfield from a true (or virtual) acoustic event, I would claim that we are not even close.
*Stereo recording techniques and playback systems has enormous uncertainties.
*Surround is basically a refinement of stereo, but still many of the same drawbacks
*Binaural recordings are probably the closest, but still limited by lack of individual HRTFs, non-standardized headphones, lack of head-movement.

Wavefield synthesis seems like a promising thing, but it is my impression that it is immature, prohibitly expensive, and we need to see major theoretical advances (as well as production advances) before it is ready for primetime.

The problem you are talking about is not a problem with the transparency  of audio components but rather inherent problems with  doing an adequate job of capturing and reproducing sound fields.  We don't yet need a new recording format because we don't know what to put on it. The unique audible character of live music is lost by the time the audio signal gets to the output terminals of the microphone.

I agree with what you are saying, but I was responding to a claim that sound-reproduction was "transparent". My gripe was that it is probably transparent in the sense of terminal of the microphone to terminal of the loudspeaker. In terms of reproducing a musical performance to a listener, it is usually not. In other words, there is still room for audio reproduction to make large subjective improvements, just like the video industry. How to achieve those improvements (and if the customers really want them enough to pay for it) is an open question.

The movie industry still had places to go (the jump from PAL/NTSC to 1080p is amazing) so it's easy to convince people to buy new technology. The audio industry has already reached high end in the 70s with the AudioCD format: once you reach transparency, what more can you do?

Reply #51
Another open question is if a more accurate (physical) reproduction of the acoustical event will increase our subjective impression of realism. There seems to be some evidence that this isn't necessarily the case.
I'm always impressed by the effectiveness of foley artists who can simulate noises for feature films that IMO are far from reality, but are nevertheless very convincing. Fashion might play a role as well.

Reply #52
Another open question is if a more accurate (physical) reproduction of the acoustical event will increase our subjective impression of realism.

I agree. But recreating the physical soundfield (or having a system that allows recreating an actual or virtual soundfield with high accuracy) seems to be a sensible goal. Of course, perceptual knowledge should guide us in prioritizing (>20kHz may be part of the physical soundfield, but be of little importance).

If a listener can be seated in a concert hall, blindfolded, and be served A)A real orchestra playing, B)Playback of a recording of the same, and not reliably be able to distinguish them, it would seem that we are on to a perceptually transparent sound reproduction system (recreate all perceptually relevant information in an acoustic event, remove all perceptually relevant coloration in a playback location).

Similar setups have been used to "prove" perceptual transparency for 100 years, but I believe that those tests was chosen from a PR-perspective, not showing general transparency for any source.
There seems to be some evidence that this isn't necessarily the case.

What are those?
I'm always impressed by the effectiveness of foley artists who can simulate noises for feature films that IMO are far from reality, but are nevertheless very convincing. Fashion might play a role as well.

Never underestimate the power of the mind in making "sense" from a "noisy" set of stimuli. Even though foley sounds convincing given imagery to match the illusion, that is not a proof that having more realistic sound could not give a somewhat different experience.

-k

Reply #53

The problem you are talking about is not a problem with the transparency  of audio components but rather inherent problems with  doing an adequate job of capturing and reproducing sound fields.  We don't yet need a new recording format because we don't know what to put on it. The unique audible character of live music is lost by the time the audio signal gets to the output terminals of the microphone.

I agree with what you are saying, but I was responding to a claim that sound-reproduction was "transparent". My gripe was that it is probably transparent in the sense of terminal of the microphone to terminal of the loudspeaker. In terms of reproducing a musical performance to a listener, it is usually not. In other words, there is still room for audio reproduction to make large subjective improvements, just like the video industry. How to achieve those improvements (and if the customers really want them enough to pay for it) is an open question.

Then we agree about the basics. I'm more than tired with claims that some new ADC or DAC or amplifier or worse yet interconnect or tweak is on the critical path to better sound reproduction.

I'm also frustrated by people who put a woofer and a tweeter in a box, and make similar claims.

If we could put an end to the easy profits from wheel-spinning, maybe some basic progress could be made.

Reply #54
What are those?
I expected that question but didn't have time to look up the sources right away
Here is a quote from Perceptual evaluation of multi-dimensional spatial audio reproduction by Guastavino and Katz, JASA 116(2) 2004:
Most relevant to the general notion of sound quality is the observed gap between ‘‘objective’’ physical accuracy and ‘‘subjective’’ perceived naturalness. Indeed for most auditory scenes, the 2-D configurations were judged by the participants as more natural and realistic than the 3-D configurations although spatially incomplete, thus indicating potentially negative effects linked to providing ‘‘too much’’ information. These findings underline the difference between illusion and accuracy pointed out by Rumsey (2002): the illusion of ‘‘being there’’ is not necessarily related to true spatial fidelity. This counter-intuitive observation, from a physical point of view, indicates the importance of considering subjective psychological attributes in the evaluation of perceived sound quality. Furthermore, the lack of preference for 3-D configurations could be explained by the unfamiliarity with 3-D audio reproduction, although the natural world is always present in 3D. As surround sound systems become more common, 2-D audio reproduction systems may sound more familiar and thus more ‘‘natural’’ than 3-D configurations, which are not widely used. The results reported here suggest a shift from physical descriptions to cognitive ones in exploratory studies, to identify relevant perceptual features and better understand how acoustic phenomena are perceived and cognitively processed before addressing physical parameters in more controlled experiments.

Reply #55
If a listener can be seated in a concert hall, blindfolded, and be served A)A real orchestra playing, B)Playback of a recording of the same, and not reliably be able to distinguish them, it would seem that we are on to a perceptually transparent sound reproduction system (recreate all perceptually relevant information in an acoustic event, remove all perceptually relevant coloration in a playback location).

Recalling that for most recordings that people buy, the "concert reality" you are trying to emulate is the band's stack of speakers on the stage, even for acoustic instruments.

Reply #56

Recalling that for most recordings that people buy, the "concert reality" you are trying to emulate is the band's stack of speakers on the stage, even for acoustic instruments.

I tried to choose my words with great care to avoid that question.

I think that having an end-to-end reproduction chain that has the ability to do what I was suggesting would be a big thing for hifi. I dont expect every producer or listener to actually want that realism, and doing e.g. "larger than life" should be offered as a consciously chosen effect. In practice, producers of popular music creates a virtual world that only exists in their mind. I dont see any reason why they should not applaud at having greater knowledge (and influence) on how the playback will actually sound.

-k

Reply #57

I suspect that it may well be possible to approach this using current technology. The overwhelming influence on the soundfield in this scenario is the hall itself. So if you record the orchestra "dry" and play it back in the hall, the influence of the hall will still be felt.

But that's not really the goal, is it? The actual goal is for the listener to be seated *in his own living room* and experience a sound that is like sitting in that concert hall with a real orchestra playing. And as far as I can tell, we are a long way from that, aren't we?

Reply #58
What are those?
I expected that question but didn't have time to look up the sources right away
Here is a quote from Perceptual evaluation of multi-dimensional spatial audio reproduction by Guastavino and Katz, JASA 116(2) 2004:
Most relevant to the general notion of sound quality is the observed gap between ‘‘objective’’ physical accuracy and ‘‘subjective’’ perceived naturalness. Indeed for most auditory scenes, the 2-D configurations were judged by the participants as more natural and realistic than the 3-D configurations although spatially incomplete, thus indicating potentially negative effects linked to providing ‘‘too much’’ information. These findings underline the difference between illusion and accuracy pointed out by Rumsey (2002): the illusion of ‘‘being there’’ is not necessarily related to true spatial fidelity. This counter-intuitive observation, from a physical point of view, indicates the importance of considering subjective psychological attributes in the evaluation of perceived sound quality.

Here's a real mouthful:

"..the importance of considering subjective psychological attributes in the evaluation of perceived sound quality."

Here is a passage from Perlman (2004):

"I ask Jack if he has a CD player as well as the turntable, and he says no.
There's a debate whether tubes are better than solid-state, he tells me, but
there's no debate whether analog is better than digital: it is. A cheap CD
will beat a cheap turntable, but even a moderate turntable will blow away
any CD. CDs are strident and flat; Jack can't listen to one for more than
15 minutes at a time. On a CD you can hear the pluck of a double bass,
but on an LP [long-playing record] you can hear the body of the
instrument, the wood. "

The audiophile's rich sentimental memories of listening to LPs in former (perhaps better) days conditions form many of the "...psychological attributes in the evaluation of perceived sound quality."

Furthermore, the lack of preference for 3-D configurations could be explained by the unfamiliarity with 3-D audio reproduction, although the natural world is always present in 3D. As surround sound systems become more common, 2-D audio reproduction systems may sound more familiar and thus more ‘‘natural’’ than 3-D configurations, which are not widely used. The results reported here suggest a shift from physical descriptions to cognitive ones in exploratory studies, to identify relevant perceptual features and better understand how acoustic phenomena are perceived and cognitively processed before addressing physical parameters in more controlled experiments.[/size]

One of the problems with comparing 2-D sound to 3-D sound is that it is immediately clear to the listener which he is listening to. This is just like listening to LPs, the audible artifacts are unmistakable. There is no such thing as truely blind comparison between 2-D and 3-D since they identify themselves by means of their sound quality, aside from any issues of realism.

Reply #59
IME there was a lot more bad-mouthing then there was actually bad equipment. Case in point would be the CDP 101. It wasn't precisely sonically perfect, but it had spectacular performance compared to the best day of vinyl and analog tape's now-obsolete lives.

On what do you base your spectacular performance claims? There are, of course, people who believe that analog equipment is what offers spectacular performance.

Reply #60

I suspect that it may well be possible to approach this using current technology. The overwhelming influence on the soundfield in this scenario is the hall itself. So if you record the orchestra "dry" and play it back in the hall, the influence of the hall will still be felt.

But that's not really the goal, is it? The actual goal is for the listener to be seated *in his own living room* and experience a sound that is like sitting in that concert hall with a real orchestra playing. And as far as I can tell, we are a long way from that, aren't we?

Yes, that is a flaw with my arguement. I wanted to emphasize the listener not moving physically, only being blindfolded, and having selectably access to the "original". But yes, to the degree that playing back the sound in the original room is making the problem easier, that factor should have been removed.

Capturing a symphony orchestra with close microphones and re-playing it in the same room, keeping perceptually relevant radiation characteristics may be difficult in itself but was not really part of my point.

"A sensible target seems to be recreating all the perceptually relevant parts of any given soundfield, played back in any relevant (usually radically different) acoustic environment to the degree that the listener cannot distinguish the audio stimuli"

-k

Reply #61
One of the problems with comparing 2-D sound to 3-D sound is that it is immediately clear to the listener which he is listening to. This is just like listening to LPs, the audible artifacts are unmistakable. There is no such thing as truely blind comparison between 2-D and 3-D since they identify themselves by means of their sound quality, aside from any issues of realism.

But this suggests that the difference is clearly audible. That is a luxury compared to many of the phenomenons discussed here ("do I need 320kbps for my mp3s?").

Once a perceptual difference is audible, what else is there than measuring preferences?

-k

Reply #62
IME there was a lot more bad-mouthing then there was actually bad equipment. Case in point would be the CDP 101. It wasn't precisely sonically perfect, but it had spectacular performance compared to the best day of vinyl and analog tape's now-obsolete lives.

On what do you base your spectacular performance claims?

The well known difference in measured performance between even a CDP 101, the very best LP playback, and analog tape playback.

There are, of course, people who believe that analog equipment is what offers spectacular performance.

That's generally based on subjective evaluations.  Ever measure the noise and distoriton of LP playback? Ever measure those on even a 15 ips 2 track analog tape machine?  Ever measure a CDP 101?

I've done it all, and very many times.  If you had a power amp that performed as well as a CDP 101, you'd say it measured very well indeed. If you had a power amp that measured like analog tape or LP playback, you'd say it was either tubed or broken.

Reply #63
In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back

Not out it doesn't. Visit a club that halfway cares or go to a gig  where the promoter has spend a little cash.

Not only is live sound now better than it ever has been it is better than you can achieve in a domestic setting no matter how much you spend. The space, the power, the bass. You just cannot get that in an average size room.

Back in the day it was more exciting going to the gig sure but the sound was crap, loud but still crap. The bands music actually sounded better back home. On the hi-fi. Even a fairly modest one. It was. 

The great era of hi-fi as a status symbol is over at least in part because there really isn't much point. If you really want to listen to music at it's best. Go out.

Reply #64
Arnie, don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to argue that analog is better than digital.

My position is that early digital audio was imperfect. Analog audio is imperfect. How do you decide which sounds better? I thought you were in agreement that the specs and measurements don't always accurately predict how something will sound. Not all distortions are created equal. Most listeners would take a bucket full of 2nd harmonic distortion over a thimble full of aliasing.

I think the situation changes when you reach transparency. With ABX you can demonstrate that a digital reproduction is indistinguishable from the original and, in theory, quickly deflect any bad-mouthing.

I think digital audio turned people off early in its history because it sounded different than analog, because it was a less forgiving recording medium and because analog distortions had become euphonic whereas digital distortions were unfamiliar and, (I may be going out on a limb here) pound-for-pound, more objectionable. Despite great improvements in digital technology, I think that this initial bad taste was somehow contagious and is still lingering in some corners.

Reply #65
My position is that early digital audio was imperfect. Analog audio is imperfect.

Everything is imperfect, still.

How do you decide which sounds better?

Deciding which sounds better is not nearly as important as finding which actually alters sound quality. Some audio components alter sound quality, and some don't. Any audio component that does not alter sound quality is automatically more valuable than any audio component that does alter sound quality. (other than compnents that are designed to alter sound quality such as equalizers).

There has never been an analog record/playback device that fails to alter sound quality. The very best analog tape machines can and have been ABXed and detected in the signal path. ABXing the LP format is one of the easiest listening tests I can think of!

Starting with the second generation CD players in the mid-80s, there have been a lot of CD players that were totally sonically faultless.

I thought you were in agreement that the specs and measurements don't always accurately predict how something will sound.

Accurate and complete measurements, properly interpreted, will *always* reliably predict whether or not an audio component alters sound quality

Not all distortions are created equal.

Hence my qualifier: "properly interpreted".

Most listeners would take a bucket full of 2nd harmonic distortion over a thimble full of aliasing.

That is an over-simplifciation and a straw man. Harmonic distorion is an abstraction for nonlinear distoriton. Nonlinear distoriton creates both harmonics and intermodulation products. Musical instruments create tons of harmonics, but relatively little IM. Since we generally use ensembles of idendependent musical instruments that hardly intermodulate each other at all, most musical contexts are relatively free of IM, even though they are rife with harmonics. But, the same nonlinearity in an audio component creates both inermodulatin and harmonics.

So, you can't say "Most listeners would take a bucket full of 2nd harmonic distortion over a thimble full of aliasing." because the same equipment property that creates harmonics also creates intermodulation, and listener tolerance for intermodulation can be very small.

Furthermore, there is actually quite a bit of listener tolerance for aliasing with most music.

I think the situation changes when you reach transparency. With ABX you can demonstrate that a digital reproduction is indistinguishable from the original and, in theory, quickly deflect any bad-mouthing.

But transparency is not some rare ideal that exists only in laboratories. Very many even highly inexpensive audio components are sonically transparent.

I think digital audio turned people off early in its history because it sounded different than analog,

True, only because people weren't used to listening to recordings that were reproduced transpraently. Total transparency turned out to not be immediately acceptable to all listeners. Sometimes this was due to the fact that it was abused by badly-made recordings, but there were also subtle but pervasive and persuasive human factors such as sentimentality and resistance to change. There was resistance to change even when that change was, by all objective critera, an improvement.

because it was a less forgiving recording medium

Haviing done a great deal of both, I would say that digital is the far more forgiving medium. While analog can occasionally cover up production and musical errors, it more frequently inflates them.

and because analog distortions had become euphonic

I've debunked that technically. What I can't debunk is the amazing human ability to confuse crap with candy.

whereas digital distortions were unfamiliar

Doesn't matter whether distoritons are unfamiliar or familair if they are inaudible. Digital was nearly audibly perffect in any good implementation when the CD was introduced and within a few years obtaining sonically perffect reproduction digitally was routinely accomplished at a reasonable cost, which was proven with DBTs in the mid-80s article by Masters and Clark that I have been citing.

Again I have simply arbitrarily removed text from this post until the forum software would accept it because of some arbitrary limitations on quoting.

Reply #66
I think were actually in agreement on the use of specifications. They can be used to assess sound quality. By design, there's good correlation between sound quality and perceived quality but there are places where the correlation can go off-rail.

I'm not bringing transparency into this as some sort of laboratory entity. Jumped into this discussion asserting that digital audio did not get transparent until somewhere in the 1990's. I believe we're there now, have been for a decade. I believe lossy coding has recently arrived there too.

It looks like you're sticking to your story that digital audio was transparent from its commercial inception. Since I did not have opportunity to work will all systems back then, I will accept the possibility that the best systems of the day were transparent. I really can't accept the proposition that ALL digital audio back in the 1980's was transparent.

Reply #67
It looks like you're sticking to your story that digital audio was transparent from its commercial inception.

It's not just my story.  That digital audio equipment was't generally transparent in the mid-1980 is just another golden-ear dogma. Even the very early stuff that wasn't totally transparent if you scrutinized it with a fine-tooth comb was still far more transaprent than the comparable analog equipment was then, or is now, or ever was in-between.

Since I did not have opportunity to work will all systems back then, I will accept the possibility that the best systems of the day were transparent.

Not just the best.

I really can't accept the proposition that ALL digital audio back in the 1980's was transparent.

Excluded middle argument?

Nothing is perfect. But even the very first consumer CD players were generally far closer to being sonically perfect than even the best analog players ever have been.