Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is foobar2000 Silence and Tone decoder? (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

What is foobar2000 Silence and Tone decoder?

I've always wondered what's going on with these two decoders in the preferences. What are silence decoder and tone decoder used for?
I tried to search for it on the forum here and on the internet and I couldn't find any information about it.
Maybe someone here knows it?
Thanks in advance.

Re: What is foobar2000 Silence and Tone decoder?

Reply #1
Try "File > Add location..." and then enter "silence://3" or "tone://900,3". Then play this in the currently active playlist.

Reply #2
Tone generates a sinusoidal tone with a fixed frequency, and silence generates 3 seconds of silence in this case. Interesting feature, but I didn't expect it in a media player, so it's a big surprise for me. Is there a list of commands somewhere that can be done with these decoders? Is it possible to generate, for example, rectangular, triangular and sawtooth waveforms? My guess is the decimal point is the seconds of the signal?

Reply #3
There's also "sweep://100-900,5" where 100 is the start and 900 the end frequency and 5 the duration in seconds. In my tone:// example 900 is the frequency and 3 the number of seconds. I don't know if there's more. Perhaps someone else can tell.