Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Metallica Album (Read 10943 times) previous topic - next topic

New Metallica Album

Reply #25
Edit: even I noticed the snare drum had a really bad ring, and usually don't notice things like that

The bad ring I've been noticing in alot of 2002 and newer releases, it sounds to me like a crappy 128kbps mp3.

New Metallica Album

Reply #27
Of course, now they are going to blame poor sales on piracy and P2P and not bad word of mouth.
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

New Metallica Album

Reply #28
Of course, now they are going to blame poor sales on piracy and P2P and not bad word of mouth.

Poor sales? Umm.

Billboard Album Charts

German LP charts

No comment...

New Metallica Album

Reply #29

Poor sales? Umm.

Billboard Album Charts

They had a debut at #1, but they could easily fall down the Billboard rankings. Some albums that open at #1 stay on the Top 10 for several months, others fall off the Top 50 within weeks. I don't think "opening weekend sales" are as big a deal with music as with movies, but maybe that's because I pay absolutely no attention to music news. Let's see what happens to sales in a month, after all the die-hard Metallica fans have bought their copies...

New Metallica Album

Reply #30

it's not only metallica, which i'm sure will eventually bitch about how file-sharing is affecting the sales of their new album, but the entire recording industry

another small label in england closed down this month. it's called neo records (those of you who are into trance probably heard of it). anyway, here's what the owner had to say about the music business today

http://www.neorecords.com/epitaph.html
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

New Metallica Album

Reply #31
All this talk about bad mastering...

Makes you wonder if Bob trusted them to let them do it themselves =D
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

New Metallica Album

Reply #32
the liner notes mention Vlado Meller as who mastered it. Also says it was recorded and mixed by Bob Rock, assisted by Mike Gillies & Eric Helmkamp.  Mike Gillies also gets digital engineering credit. <edit> What's weird is the mastering on the included rehearsals DVD is great, lots of dynamic range compared to the CD.  Actually looks like music when you load it up in Sound Forge, heh.

New Metallica Album

Reply #33
he liner notes mention Vlado Meller as who mastered it.

Guess what... he's also responsible for the Red Hot Chili Peppers albums (at least "Californication" and "By The Way", both of which are ridiculously loud). Good thing this isn't my style of music...

New Metallica Album

Reply #34
the whole loudness issue is not always the fault of mastering engineers. in many cases today mastering facilities receive a project which is already too loud, and they're asked to make it even louder. they have to do it if they want to make money. if they won't do as the client asks, the client will just go to another mastering facility
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

New Metallica Album

Reply #35
outscape, yeah, we've been over that. It makes perfect sense that the engineer likely doesn't actually want to do that to the music, and that it's from a higher-up that the order comes in.

New Metallica Album

Reply #36
I've heard a little of St. Anger, and the snare drum does sound awful. But the mastering job on ...And Justice for All was also terrible. No bass whatsoever. It really had the worst kick drum sound I've ever heard on an album. The incessant click click click click of those terrible kick drums was almost enough to ruin the album for me.

New Metallica Album

Reply #37
Lack of bass is not the fault of mastering.

It's the fault of mixing, that's the process responsible for the actual EQing of the song (at least it should be). Mastering should just be the final touch that takes different mixed pieces, eliminates minor glitches, makes them sound as part of one album, etc.

I would find it hard to believe someone would actually alter EQ as part of mastering (e.g. adding more or less bass) as that would go counter to the vision the mixing engineer had for the overall sound (not that overcompressing it doesn't ruin that vision anyway).

But then that's the way I do it...maybe in the real world for commercial albums the mastering process is just a free-for-all where the mastering engineer can mess with the source input as much as he wants, regardless how the artist wanted it to sound.

New Metallica Album

Reply #38
AJFA sounds better than St. Anger all the way.The clicking bass drums are nothing compared to the awful sound of the snare drum on St. Anger.Plus the album is too loud.
Not to mention the music and lyrics....AJFA is much , much better.Great lyrics , great music.

New Metallica Album

Reply #39
Guitarist with Tinnitus, i wish to hear the pure silent again.

New Metallica Album

Reply #40
Pretty sad...

My Tama's sound better than a touring professional musician.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

New Metallica Album

Reply #41
Pretty sad...

My Tama's sound better than a touring professional musician.

Yeah. I've got a set of Yamaha Stage Customs and, since I live in a small town that's at least an hour away from the nearest drum store, I've had the same heads on for about four months. My snare head is so beaten, it doesn't even reverberate anymore. But it still sounds better than Lars's snare on St. Anger.

New Metallica Album

Reply #42
Hi. I am trying to rip this album so my son can put it on his player.

It rips well up until track 8 where I have timing and click problems similar to the other CDS discs I have purchased.

I will try and rip it on a lite-on drive and see if this works.

edit spelling

New Metallica Album

Reply #43
I wonder how many people are closing their eyes to what Metallica serves them...
I have this album for more than 1 year and I can tell you that besides the really bad production it's a piece of crap!
No memorable riffs, cool melodies, creative song structures, incredible musicmanship, ... It lacks every attribute that a good record holds!
Just comes into my ear and goes out, nothing honorable remains...
I gave that album more than 10 attempts but although I tried very hard (because I simply can't believe that their "back to the roots" trip is so pathetic) I must clearly say that this is the worst album Metallica ever created and I can't imagine it can be even worse...
Just my 2 cents...

Edit: Here in Czech Republic there's no copy protection on St. Anger! Very strange indeed...
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

New Metallica Album

Reply #44
There is a defect in the disk.Like a bubble in the plastic or something.

New Metallica Album

Reply #45
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261675"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why don't you return it?
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

New Metallica Album

Reply #46
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261675"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why don't you return it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261677"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Done