Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame 3.100 has been released (Read 125983 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lame 3.100 has been released

Reply #25
Here too, much faster: http://tmkk.undo.jp/lame/index_e.html

with this patch applied, i get an error when i try compile x86

./configure  --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --enable-shared --enable-static
and then "make -j2" leads to a
gain_analysis.c: In Funktion »filterYule«:
gain_analysis.c:216:5: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
     __asm__ __volatile__ (
     ^

Reply #26
From the RareWares 64bit build:

Reply #27
OK, thanks, I'll sort it out.

Reply #28
john33, perfect thanks, let me know when and I'll test right away.

Reply #29
Do we have listening tests yet?

Reply #30
Corrected compiles uploaded. 32 bit and 64 bit versions tested on system without the Intel libraries present and load and work fine. 'More haste, less speed' called for, methinks! ;)

Reply #31
Very good and almost as fast as tmkk (~55x vs ~60x), will test more tomorrow.

I don’t know how he compiled, is there any reason we shouldn’t use tmkk?

Reply #32
tmkk's binaries aren't just a different compile. They use replacement functions that are faster but also produce different results.

Reply #33
Sorry for the absence of compiles on Rarewares, but I have been away from home for the last 2 weeks and I don't return until the end of this week. I will post compiles as soon as I'm able. :)

Thanks John! Can you update the libmp3lame (x86 and x64) compiles too? I might be the only one using them, but I do use them!
Could you kindly check these compiles to see if they are OK before I post the links at Rarewares? TIA. :)

libmp3lame-3.100x86.zip

libmp3lame-3.100x64.zip

Reply #34
@john33: thank you for the updated flac and lame versions at rarewares. will there also be a latest ogg lancer build as well?

Reply #35
I see "LAME3.100".

I get additional special characters depending on the encoding mode. With CBR the encoder is said to be "LAME3.100Í" and when using VBR it says "LAME3.100Ý". With Lame 3.99.5 I don't have this "problem". I tested all encoders from this thread. Can someone confirm this?

Reply #36
@john33: thank you for the updated flac and lame versions at rarewares. will there also be a latest ogg lancer build as well?
You're welcome. :) I may get round to the Lancer builds, but I don't believe the code's been updated in a long while, so I'm not sure there will be any benefit.

Reply #37
d4k0: That's an innerent problem of old programs assuming that the tag was going to be 8 characters always. The problem is that LAME3.100 is now 9 characters, and in C, the strings are terminated will a null character (code 0). Due to this discrepancy, now the string is not being terminated at the correct position with programs that didn't get around this possibility.

Reply #39
You're welcome. :) I may get round to the Lancer builds, but I don't believe the code's been updated in a long while, so I'm not sure there will be any benefit.
hm, i think there have been some minor changes (not qualitywise though) to ogg lancer indeed. anyway, after flac & lame it would be great to see a lancer update, too :)

Reply #40
All builds sometimes create different files, even the x86 and x64 version from the same bundle. From the null test results I am unable to tell which particular build has more differences than the others, plus I can't ABX them. Therefore I am going to use tmkk's version for the speed.

I learnt about the term "non-deterministic" in x264 but I think the situation is a bit different, since individual lame.exe always create identical mp3 files.

I wonder will the same lame.exe create different mp3 files when using different processors, like Intel vs AMD? Who wants to try?

Among the attached files, Rarewares-x86.mp3 is the only file which is different from others. However, if the original audio files are longer, all files are more likely to be different.

Reply #41
Confirm Rarewares-x86.mp3 is the only different one with bit-compare.

Reply #42
All builds sometimes create different files, even the x86 and x64 version from the same bundle. From the null test results I am unable to tell which particular build has more differences than the others, plus I can't ABX them. Therefore I am going to use tmkk's version for the speed.

I learnt about the term "non-deterministic" in x264 but I think the situation is a bit different, since individual lame.exe always create identical mp3 files.

I wonder will the same lame.exe create different mp3 files when using different processors, like Intel vs AMD? Who wants to try?

It's been discussed in detail before, but basically floating point numbers have rounding error, so each of the many ways you can compile a mathematical operation may give slightly different results due to how the numbers round. If you need deterministic output, you're probably looking for a lossless codec.

Reply #43
Here too, much faster: http://tmkk.undo.jp/lame/index_e.html

with this patch applied, i get an error when i try compile x86

./configure  --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --enable-shared --enable-static
and then "make -j2" leads to a
gain_analysis.c: In Funktion »filterYule«:
gain_analysis.c:216:5: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
     __asm__ __volatile__ (
     ^
sorry i was wrong, it does work, i simply made a silly mistake. :(

Reply #44
tmkk's binaries aren't just a different compile. They use replacement functions that are faster but also produce different results.

"Different results" as in different from all other builds, or ... ? What exactly are the replacement functions in question? Maybe I am just dense, but this thread has taken a turn toward the confusing. Or rather, I am confused! So which is the better choice? The tmkk Windows build or the flac-1.3.2-git-20171020-x64 build available at Rarewares? I am just trying to follow all of this and am obviously failing.

Reply #45
You're even more confused than you think. LAME != FLAC. One's an MP3 encoder, lossy by definition, the other one's a lossless codec.

Reply #46
You're even more confused than you think. LAME != FLAC. One's an MP3 encoder, lossy by definition, the other one's a lossless codec.

Aren't i an idiot?! Shows you what two hours of sleep will do! I meant to say the rarewares lame3.100-64 or the tmkk build.

Sorry about that!

Reply #47
Unless you need to encode a lot of music very quickly I would use the standard lame builds.  The difference in speed is not that compelling on modern hardware.

Reply #48
Aren't i an idiot?! Shows you what two hours of sleep will do!
It is not difficult to sleep 2 hours a day. It's difficult not to sleep the other 22 hours :))

Reply #49
Nice one! Thanks a lot for all your hard work on rarewares, @john33

Edit: added work (oh, my!)
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução