Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which Unix-based audio player do you use most?

iTunes
[ 17 ] (15.3%)
VLC
[ 7 ] (6.3%)
Amarok (and forks, ie. Clementine)
[ 17 ] (15.3%)
Rhythmbox
[ 9 ] (8.1%)
deadbeef
[ 17 ] (15.3%)
Banshee
[ 6 ] (5.4%)
xmms
[ 3 ] (2.7%)
mpd (and clients, please mention which in a comment)
[ 13 ] (11.7%)
mplayer (and forks)
[ 3 ] (2.7%)
Other (Please mention which in a comment)
[ 19 ] (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Topic: 2012 Unix Audio Player Usage Poll (Read 54416 times) previous topic - next topic

2012 Unix Audio Player Usage Poll

Pretty self-explanatory...

I also use sox's play, along with the mpc client for mpd.

Reply #1
I mostly use mpd for playing my library.
For command line control I mainly use ncmpc. For a graphical client I use gmpc. And I use bitmpc on android as a remote control.
If anyone has suggestions for other clients I'm always willing to try new ones.

For random files I usually use VLC.

I load up and use Banshee, Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc, from time to time as well..

Reply #2
I end up using Rhythmbox most of the time simply because it is running 24x7 as my podcast downloader.

If I'm at home (rare) and on my desktop I use FB2K through WINE.
Creature of habit.

Reply #3
I use the built-in player on XLD often on OS X (as well as iTunes.)
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #4
I personally use mpd. The frontends that I use are:

• MPDCon for regular playing. It is a GNUstep based GUI frontend.
  • mpc for scripting and interactively from the commandline.
  • bitmpc for remote control from my Android devices.

Reply #5
Other: Vox for OS X

Crossfeed-options, EQ and lightweight (I use v0.2.7.1)
XLD // ALAC // OGG VORBIS

Reply #6
I use ncmpcpp (and MPDroid from my phone) with mpd for my music collection and mplayer for just playing individual files.  I try to use as few gui apps as possible these days.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #7
Linux: Non-native (wine+foobar2000)
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #8
For playing my music collection I use mpd with:

• ncmpcpp: as general desktop client
  • gmpc: as ncmpcpp but occasionally preferred as it lets me see pretty album art and has neat magnatune plug-in
  • mpc: mpc playback controls are mapped to my multimedia keyboard. also useful for cli database searches
  • MPDroid: use it on my Android tablet

For playing non-permanent audio that isn't in my mpd database such as downloads, streams, stuff hosted on other networks etc. I use scripts which call mplayer command line, sometimes in conjunction with a named pipe and aplay (to get gapless if required) and for mplayer's bs2b filter (meier crossfeed for headphone listening is nice).

I don't know if Android is UNIX-like for the purposes of this poll; if not then moderator please feel free to amend my votes.  On Android I run Rockbox and DeadBeef much like I run mpd and mplayer on Debian: Rockbox for my collection, and DeadBeef for the temporary stuff, streams, online radio playlists etc.

Reply #9
I've voted XMMS both times but in reality I use Audacious.

I wonder where all other music players are (Juk, Qmmp, Amarok, Clementine, etc.)

Reply #10
I wonder where all other music players are (Juk, Qmmp, Amarok, Clementine, etc.)
Amarok and Clementine are both listed...

Reply #12
I frequently use totem when I want to listen to just one song - just simply because it is a quick easy interface to the GStreamer backend.

totem /flac/library/artist/album/track.flac

I like banshee for general listening. Rhythmbox is just too bloated. It started as a decent player but it seems it is trying to be iTunes.

Reply #13
Audacious here
She is waiting in the air

Reply #14
Audacious. And foobar through wine.

Reply #15
Linux: Juk with VLC as back-end.

Was previously a Mac user and Juk’s playlist workflow matches iTunes’.

Reply #16
I also use command line audio players, ogg123 and mpg123.

Reply #17
First of all, congratulations for this poll.

I use QuodLibet now. I initially chose it because it has no client-server architecture and because it support gapless and replaygain.
Since then I also got used to the album list view.

Reply #18
I mainly use Clementine, because it has lots of features, a nice interface and it's reasonably fast. It works great for big music libraries (15000+ musics), yeah, it's index is a little slow but still better than most other music players (foobar2000 is unbeatable on this area).
Sometimes I use Audacious too, it's great and super lightweight too. The music library manager is still not as great as Clementine, but keeps getting better.

Reply #19
I use iTunes in conjunction with Audirvana Plus in iTunes-integrated mode (i.e., it "hijacks" iTunes and plays it through its own player, which has some advantages).

Reply #20
quodlibet

Reply #21
^^^audirvana plus is an audio player, right? you're paying 50 bucks for an audio player?

confirms how i as a linux user see mac users...

Reply #22
Troll.

Reply #23
Troll.

maybe a little bit but come on.

who pays money for a media player? and the player in question is obviously voodooware. "Audirvana is the creator of high?end audiophile players for the Mac platform, aiming at the best possible sound quality."

Reply #24
Then you obviously dont get the concept that its perfectly legitimate for people to make money from licensing software.
Yes, it might be unethical peddling snake oil, but its the dev's perogative. Especially if they know its snake oil they are peddling.