Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey Audio, even higher compression possible?? (Read 4232 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey Audio, even higher compression possible??

It is technically possible, assuming that CPU is not a matter here, to have even higher lossless compression?? like a 40 Mb song compress to <20Mb ( 18 - 19 Mb?? )

Reply #1
If so, Monkey whould surely make such a compressor. I think there are indeed technical limitations on the compression. There is still some data to be compressed - and well, you cant put everything in nothing... But sometimes the monkey archieves compression ratios more than 50%, but thats still say 600 kb/sec.

I'd go for lossy - like musepack (you won't notice the difference, I'm sure... if you can, you have golden ears, which will be appreciated by the musepack developers - hehe  )

with mpc (you probably already know, but whatever :insane: ) you get 200 kb/sec, which is again 3 times smaller than lossless...

*edit - smiley didnt work out
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Reply #2
The probem is i may want to transcode them to other format later. I have thought of MPC with brandead..... but for trancode isn't Lossless still the best option??

Reply #3
Yes, lossless would be best for transcoding. However, Musepack at braindead transcodes very well.

I did a purely subjective test on two clips from Nickelback and Bonnie Raitt and couldn't tell the difference between the braindead and --alt-preset 128.
This was purely subjective, for my own interest and only for illustration (incidentally I couldn't detect any difference between the wave and mpc braindead).

Note
My ears have been attached to each side of my head for 57 years and obviously there has to be a degradation in my hearing

auldyin

Reply #4
I encode mpc's with --extreme, and transcode them to mp3's with lame. Thats for my portable mp3player, and I use mostly some --alt-preset 96 - so I dont think Musepack is the quallity limiting factor here... I think you can transcode at least up to 128 kb/sec mp3 or even more when you have encoded with musepack --extreme. Insane and braindeath are overkill, exept when you want to transcode to >160 kb/sec mp3, imho. And who whould do that??? for an mp3player, you rarely need it - the background noise in train/bus etc is (for me) destroying everything above 128 kb/sec!!!
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]