Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod (Read 1308369 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod

Reply #1925
Hi Neil,

I don't think that "Podcast" is fully functional yet. Here is the note from the Readme file.

"Podcast is a special designation which displays show notes and causes the song to appear in special Podcast menu (these features are not fully implemented in foo_pod yet...)."
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #1926
How's the new database support comming along? I started using Rockbox firmware from time to time and would like to have all the songs alavable through both firmwares. Good work so far!

Reply #1927
How's the new database support comming along? I started using Rockbox firmware from time to time and would like to have all the songs alavable through both firmwares. Good work so far!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the status of Rockbox on the iPod.  According to [a href="http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodFAQ#Can_I_use_my_iTunes_Database]this link[/url], it looks like they don't use the iTunesDB database at all. 

Or do you mean if foo_pod can read iTunes created databases?  foo_pod should be able to read the latest iTunesDB format (at least the basic stuff like songs and playlists), but it doesn't write it yet.

Reply #1928
I know it dont read the database file but I would like to organize music on the ipod in artist/album order for Rockbox, and then write a database file that can  be used in standard OS if needed.

Reply #1929
I know it dont read the database file but I would like to organize music on the ipod in artist/album order for Rockbox, and then write a database file that can  be used in standard OS if needed.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=2532.msg17413#msg17413]This post[/url] explains how to do what you are looking for.  The caveat is that there is a limit on filename length, which has gotten short with recent iPod firmware versions.  So while the technique works in general, if you go over the filename length limit, the song won't play on the iPod (using Apple's firmware).

Reply #1930
This post explains how to do what you are looking for.  The caveat is that there is a limit on filename length, which has gotten short with recent iPod firmware versions.  So while the technique works in general, if you go over the filename length limit, the song won't play on the iPod (using Apple's firmware).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Consider it [a href="http://www.tinkafoo.com/log/foo_pod.html]added to the manual[/url].

This is one of the things that makes foo_pod stand out, but it's not very obvious if you just glance at the interface. It reminds me of stuff I've done with the Alternate Metadata strings:

Sort albums by year on your iPod
  • Select: Components / foo_pod / Preferences / Advanced
  • Replace the contents of the "Album" box with: [[$right(%date%,2)-]%album%]
  • Transfer music with foo_pod
This got me to thinking..  What other nifty tips are floating around?

While I'm looking to beef-up the manual, I might ought to show off the PDF version (includes Table of Contents, Index, and even a cheesy logo!) I don't expect people to use it much, but it was a fun excuse to teach myself InDesign.

Linear version (343K PDF)
The pages are in numerical order. Recommended for online viewing.
[a href="http://www.tinkafoo.com/log/foo_pod/foo_pod.pdf" target="_blank"]

Reply #1931
Ok I've read that topic before but what worried me was the post below:

Thanks for the tip.  I tried that and it didn't work though.  All of the music that I loaded played fine in Rockbox but it didn't play in the Apple firmware.  The database knows where all of the music is - all of the artists and albums appear as they should in the menus, but when I go to play a song it just skips immediately to the next song without any sound ever coming out of the speakers - it does this for each song until it reaches the end of the playlist.

For what it's worth, I got the same thing.  It could be that foo_pod doesn't support a recent enough version of iTunesDB for the Nano or something like that.

The iPod I have is 4g Greyscale but I don't think it uses a different database.

Reply #1932
Is this a bug?  The 'Mount iPod' thingy, in the foo_pod drop-down,  isn't working - everything else works fine (sending 'pod playlists to fb2k, adding/removing files from the 'pod, transcoding, ejecting the 'pod upon closing fb2k, all that stuff), but when I click on 'mount', the window flashes on the screen for about a millisecond, and that's it.  (BTW - I haven't tried un- and re-installing the .dll, 'cause I don't want to have to reconfigure it, until/unless I need to).

My thanks to Aero for thinking up, and updating, this little gem.  I don't miss iTunes at all!

Off-topic@quazi - What is your avatar?
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #1933
Is this a bug?  The 'Mount iPod' thingy, in the foo_pod drop-down,  isn't working - everything else works fine ...

It sounds like you're trying to mount it after it's already mounted. Do you have the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the Windows Tray?

Just for kicks, go to Components / foo_pod / Preferences / Main and see if "Force iPod Drive Letter" is blank. Then go to Preferences / iPod Service, and see if "Don't Use iPod Service" is off, and "Enable Disk Mode" is on. (..These are my settings *shrug*)

Off-topic@quazi - What is your avatar?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He's a headless pewter miniature with (almost) no arms.
([a href="http://www.tinkafoo.com/temp/quazi-avatar.jpg]bigger[/url])

Reply #1934
I forget to mention that the 'eject ipod' button won't activate, either (never post on minimal caffeine...). 

I do have the 'safely remove hardware' icon.  I also get the 'safe to remove' message when exiting fb2k w/the 'pod plugged in. 

'Force iPod Letter' is blank; iPod Services is off;  I can't activate Disc Mode - again, the button is there, but won't highlight (didn't know this until just now).

Off-topic - so that's where the arm went...

Reply #1935
(BTW - I haven't tried un- and re-installing the .dll, 'cause I don't want to have to reconfigure it, until/unless I need to).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370435"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Download another one and either delete yours first or copy over it. I've never had anything like this happen, but it sounds like something broke somewhere.

Reply #1936
Just wanted to say thanks for 0.9.9n!!!

I was not aware that apple had finally fixed the firmware for my 3G (the dreaded non-updating smart playlist bug).  Now that I have updated my firmware and foo_pod version, I am finally able to "bookmark" mp3 podcasts.

Before today I had been re-encoding all my podcasts into M4B just so I could have the bookmark feature.

This release will save me quite a bit of time (and sound quality).

So, thanks Aero!  This was a big release for me.

PS,  Is there any way to add items to a foo_bar playlist automatically?  I would love if Juice could put the podcast files into a foo_bar playlist as it downloads them.

Reply #1937
Hi there,

Well, I'm using foobar since quite a long time now, and my daughter just recently acquired an iPod, so I'm reading this for the first time.

I must say I am very impressed - I mean it  - by the quality of this work. The plug-in & the documentation are very complete, as a total noob on this I was able to make it run quickly and it works very well.

Many thanks to Aero, Otto42 and Quazi.

/man

Reply #1938
I forget to mention that the 'eject ipod' button won't activate, either (never post on minimal caffeine...). 

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370532"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems too.  Any luck figuring this out?

Reply #1939
Besides transcoding to m4b, is there any other way to send files to the iPod that will appear in the Audiobook menu only? Could an mp3 just be tagged a certain way to appear as an audiobook on the iPod?

PS - Sorry for the double post but I felt this was a separate topic.

Reply #1940

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371481"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not yet, but I haven't tried reinstalling the _dll, either.  Part of me is tempted to leave it alone, as everything else seem to be fine.  I'll try the reinstall later today - if it seems to work, I'll let you know...

Reply #1941
There's two types of type 100 MHOD's. There's one after each MHIP, and there's one in each playlist that defines the column display ordering/size used by iTunes for that playlist.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281249"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Old post, I know, but it seems like I've found the source of a problem I'm having.

I installed foo_pod 0.9.9n on my work machine (PC) and was able to do some iPod (60GB Photo) syncing, which is fantastic, because I really like fb2k's interface.  However, when I go home to my Mac and open iTunes, my columns are all messed up to the point that the Name column for all my iPod playlists is gone altogether. 

Since there is no fb2k/foo_pod for the Mac, is there any way I can fix this, short of blowing out the existing database?

Reply #1942
Does this version work with fb2k 0.9?

If not, when can we expect the update?
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #1943
Does this version work with fb2k 0.9?

If not, when can we expect the update?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372563"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) No

2) When Aero decides to write it.

Reply #1944
There's two types of type 100 MHOD's. There's one after each MHIP, and there's one in each playlist that defines the column display ordering/size used by iTunes for that playlist.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281249"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Old post, I know, but it seems like I've found the source of a problem I'm having.

I installed foo_pod 0.9.9n on my work machine (PC) and was able to do some iPod (60GB Photo) syncing, which is fantastic, because I really like fb2k's interface.  However, when I go home to my Mac and open iTunes, my columns are all messed up to the point that the Name column for all my iPod playlists is gone altogether. 

Since there is no fb2k/foo_pod for the Mac, is there any way I can fix this, short of blowing out the existing database?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the same problem, and the only way I could fix it was to nuke the entire database.

Reply #1945
i haven't updated my ipod since early january because i had been using betas. i hope we can see aero's first foo_pod compatible with .9 very soon.

Reply #1946
Agreed.

Reply #1947
Any idea where to find foobar2000 v0.8 ? Only the 0.9 seems to be available on the website.

Thanks!

Reply #1948
i am trying to update my ipod with the date and album present in the album tag

here is my code for the album box in the advanced options tab:

Code: [Select]
$if(%album%,$if(%date%,'['%date%']' %album%,%album%),'[Album]')

after clearing the entire memory and using foo_pod to put my music back, i only get some albums with the date tag

most of my albums have date tags

anyone have any ideas

Reply #1949

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371481"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not yet, but I haven't tried reinstalling the _dll, either.  Part of me is tempted to leave it alone, as everything else seem to be fine.  I'll try the reinstall later today - if it seems to work, I'll let you know...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371555"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

update@antoniost - replacing the _dll fixed it.