Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My DVD-RAM drive suddenly doesn't read data CD-Rs. (Read 3554 times) previous topic - next topic

My DVD-RAM drive suddenly doesn't read data CD-Rs.

I hope someone can help me or at least suggest the things I could try.

All of the sudden, my DVD-RAM drive (LG/HLDS/Goldstar GT30N, firmware ASS2) has stopped reading data CD-Rs. This is in my laptop ASUS K70AB.

My OS is WinXP PRO SP3, 32-bit.

I have done extended testing, and with at least 10 media of each, these are the results:
- it can successfully read DVD-Rs
- it can successfully read DVD+Rs
- it can successfully write DVD-Rs
- it can successfully write DVD+Rs
- it can successfully read CD-RWs
- it can successfully write CD-RWs
- it can't read data CD-Rs
- it can successfully read audio CD-Rs
- it can sucesssfully read original audio CDs
- it can even sucessfully write data CD-Rs (reading them was done with another drive on my desktop computer)

I have ImgBurn installed and I have checked any optical drive filters that might interfere, but as I expected - there is none, because I have nothing like that installed. I only see 'redbook' and 'imapi' filters, which is normal and every OS has those (right?)...

I will try and specify what happens when I put data CD-R in the drive. It spins up at first, then when it sounds like it's ready to read (based on the behavior with other media) it spins up for the second time and then one of two things happen. Either it loops with moving the lense back and forth and it doesn't read the data CD-R or it stops and reports the CD-R as empty. With the second scenario I can run some CD burning software and it sees the CD-R as empty and I can even burn data on it as if it really was empty and it even reports the burn as successful, but when I try such CD-R in my desktop DVD drive, it contains the data that was originally burned on it (as expected).

I don't know what caused this behaviour and I don't know what to do to try and fix it.
Help me.
lame -V 0

My DVD-RAM drive suddenly doesn't read data CD-Rs.

Reply #1
Problem solved!

I have solved the problem, but silly me... I did two things at once and now I don't know what it was...

Anyway, I have switched from "Native IDE" to "AHCI". And I also cleaned the lens with appropriate cloth.
Switching from "Native IDE" to "AHCI" was done with the guide (just click on the link).

If anyone will have the same problem... try cleaning with appropriate cloth and if that won't work, try switching from "Native IDE" to "AHCI".
lame -V 0