Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Filename sequence question (Read 3859 times) previous topic - next topic

Filename sequence question

About 12  yrs ago I ripped about 70 gbs of hd space into FLAC files. I still play those files today. In the meantime I've acquired about a 100 or so new CDs that I want to add to my previous batch. Even though this is all coming back to me slowly again, I cannot remember the file name sequence that I used to rip those files the first time. I read a post in AudiogoN from someone who claims you can go back to the actual file and see that sequence. Anyone here knows how I can access that information so I can use the same sequence and not disrupt anything when I try to play those files back? Your help is much appreciated.

Re: Filename sequence question

Reply #1
I don't understand what you are asking about. What filename sequence?

Reply #2
Filename sequence? You mean command line options for the encoder?

Reply #3
Yes, the command line options. My apologies. I see in my JRMC it is lined up as song title, artist, album, genre, track# and file type (FLAC) but i'm not sure if that is the same order I used when I first ripped those CDs. Is there a way to find the original command line?

Reply #4
You say "command line" but then you describe filename.  Can't you tell by looking at the name of one of your old files?

What you've described would result in a filename something like this:
Taxman_The Beatles_Rock_Revolver_01.flac

Please post the folder structure and filenames from some of your old files so someone who uses JRMC can tell you how to reconfigure these settings.

Reply #5
I appreciate your time to respond to my question. Maybe i'm not explaining myself in a way that is easy to understand because i'm not the most technical person when it comes to software. I do not want to change anything in JRMC, that was said as an example. I have no problems with my previously ripped files. What I would like to know is how can I see the structure (command line option) that I used in my previously ripped FLAC files so that  I can use the same format again. I'm planning to rip anywhere from 50 to a 100 new CDs to add to that old batch and want the same format to avoid any malfunction. 

Reply #6
Just so we're on the same page, "JRMC" is JRiver Media Center, correct?

Reply #7
Yes it is.

Reply #8
Ok, what did you use to rip your CDs with? What software was that?

Reply #9
The only real command line setting for FLAC is compression level. You can Google this. It has no bearing on sound quality.

Reply #10
Thanks Apesbrain but i'm referring to the command line for tags not compression settings.

Reply #11
Polemon,
EAC. I'm basically trying to duplicate what I did several years ago so when I merge them all together I don't have any issues. The one thing that i'm missing is the command line format. Is there is a way to look into my previously ripped cases I would like to know so I can do it exactly the same way.  Thanks, I appreciate your help in this matter. 

Reply #12
It's on this page:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

You can safely delete "-6", "-V", and "-o %dest%".  You can also delete any tags "-T" that you don't use.

If you discover you also need help with folder/filename configuration, you'll need to post that info about your old files and someone will tell you where and how you configure this in EAC.

Reply #13
Thanks Apesbrain, unfortunately that deals with EAC configuration which I know how to.  Hmm, I guess an easier way to visualize what i'm looking for is to completely forget about EAC and the media player. I want to go into Windows where my FLAC files are and open one of those files to see what command line I used way back 12 yrs ago.  I want to configure EAC exactly the same again.  

Reply #14
I'm not sure FLAC saves the used switches and flags in a meta data field, at least, I never saved them there.

FLAC supports vorbis comment, so there's nothing an application stopping from writing it's settings to the FLAC file, it's just I've never seen it used like that.

At this point it is kinda still confusing as to what you're trying to accomplish. At this point I assume, it's about the file naming scheme, but I might be wrong. As @Apesbrain explained, on the Wiki there is a line which sets metadata and the filename, however you explained this isn't what you're after after all, so no I'm kindof at a loss.

Reply #15
Yes, I see that it is still not clear. I'm going to see if I can find the post in AudiogoN where that person went back to the FLAC file and looked at it. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Reply #16
Ok, but what we're trying to tell you is that FLAC is lossless and there isn't much to the settings: just compression-level and tags.  The default EAC install will set up everything for you; or re-run the "Configuration Wizard".

It's certainly possible someone on Audiogon made a habit of writing his commandline options to the COMMENTS field in his FLAC files, but that's not a standard "feature" of EAC.

If you are using FLAC with the default EAC commandline, you will be fine and there will be nothing disruptive about your new files.

Reply #17
It's worth noting that the order of the tags on the command line really doesn't matter.
Replicating your option order from last time gains you no real benefit. Applications reading the metadata won't be affected, and sound quality can't be affected.

Reply #18
Is it weird that I'm kinda enjoying the attempts of everyone trying to solve the mystery of what OP is actually trying to achieve? Lots of good guesses here, but I'm still quite confused...

Reply #19
By combining all the answers I've been able to ascertain that the order of my (filename, and or command line) is not going to affect my new FLAC files when I merge them with my old ones. Thanks for your time and responses. I realize this has been a little frustrating. As soon as I rip a few CDs i'll come back to post my results. Its going to take a couple of weeks though. I'm in the middle of packing and moving.