Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is for you the best 2021 album? (Read 7405 times) previous topic - next topic

What is for you the best 2021 album?

What is for you the best 2021 album?  :) 

I'll begin.
My favorite 2021 album is Gojira - Fortitude by far! https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gojira/fortitude/

Re: What is for you the best 2021 album?

Reply #4
Nothing really rocked my world this year. Stove God Cooks was pretty good, but it would be a weak year if that was the winner. I also enjoyed Vladislav Delay's Rakka II.

All the best music has already been made.

Reply #5
Probably Joe Bonamassa "Time Clocks" for me.

Reply #7
David Bowie - Scary Monsters 🎧

Reply #8
Again not much in 2021 for me but 2 albums i really feel are
Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon I:  The first 4 tracks alone hit many triggers often whole albums can't.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATES END!: Tracks 5 and 6 are the climax here.
Funny is that even in the hefty play on both albums i hear some notes that a Mike Oldfiled may have played.

And now to something completely different:
Portico Quartet - Terrain
This is so relaxing, especially track 1 kind of hypnotizes me. I love the Hang it seems.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #10
David Bowie - Scary Monsters 🎧
It's not an album from 2021 year.
This topic is  "What is for you the best 2021 album?"

Reply #12
I've only bought two albums this year.  Out of the two, Eisbrecher's Liebe Macht Monster is the best for this year.

Reply #14
I hate when people ask for just one best thing considering the vast number of talented musicians.

I didn't listen that much in 2021 but my favorites were:
* Schiller - Epic
* Narrow Skies - Earth I
* Ilan BlueStone - Impulse

Notable mentions:
* Chicane - Everything we had to leave behind (just a half of tracks)
* Marina - Ancient Dreams in a Modern World (fewer than 30% of tracks)
* The Weekend - Highlights (just four tracks)

Reply #15
In my opinion, all modern music that is widely known to the public is not particularly talented. Most modern musicians do not become famous because they create a high-quality musical product or do something fundamentally new in music.

Good luck creating something fundamentally new in music when we have just 12 notes.

Reply #17
In my opinion, all modern music that is widely known to the public is not particularly talented. Most modern musicians do not become famous because they create a high-quality musical product or do something fundamentally new in music.
There are regulary complaints in the youtube comments about something being to commercialy produced only to touch simplest instincts and therefore being worthless.
These posters sometimes link to videos of bands that still do the REAL thing. To be honest often these are crappy recorded or mastered with bad voices but some melody. Indeed these bands are often unknown and insider tipps because it is hard to listen but being less commercial makes them so much better for some.

Reply #18
There seems to be this misconception of an inverse relationship between commercial appeal and artistic value, ignoring the sheer mass of "works" or attempted works clustered near (0,0) in the diagram.

Though I laughed extra hard when "We Will Rock You" the musical assigned that song to the dystopian future's plasticmusic-listening audience - a.k.a. the "Ga ga kids".

Reply #19
Indeed these bands are often unknown and insider tipps because it is hard to listen but being less commercial makes them so much better for some.

Having digged through thousands of niche experimental releases like this random 2021 pick of niche experimental electronics I have grown quite fond of "boring", "commercial" or "conventional" music. Tonality, rhythm, just work, even or especially when they do their thing for the umpteenth time. Yay for fundamentally not new!

Reply #20
My favorite 2021 album is Gojira - Fortitude
+1
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #21
No one stood out in 2021.  I'm sure it's age-related.

I don't even listen to the radio and even online radio sucks.

Reply #22
Still you didn't tell us what the best albums are. To dangerous they go viral and can't be good anymore?

Reply #23
Possibly advertising that service they just linked there.

Reply #24
10 hours of procedurally generated djent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvmUnG25dA

I guess this is the definition of formulaic music, but the method of creating it was innovative. Probably won't actually listen to it much but gets my award because of the achievement. Also it amuses me that this guy has single-handedly pretty much invalidated an entire subgenre of music.

Also liked Cameron Graves new album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGtW0_I8Eg&list=OLAK5uy_kFE_Kc5POGWH98gKaJWoPZ7dDnN06v25M