Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Photobucket is now charging for unlimited third party inlining (Read 68797 times) previous topic - next topic

Photobucket is now charging for unlimited third party inlining

As of June 20th, 2017, you may find your Photobucket account suspended for overuse. It seems they now want you to cough up $399.99 USD per year for the privilege of unlimited off-site inlining of images.

So, find alternative hosting. Just don't use Photobucket, there are plenty of alternatives. We even have our own file hosting. Of course, I could increase the limit, since certain people have been finding the 40MB per file, and per account, rather cramping.

Re: Photobucket is now charging for unlimited third party inlining

Reply #1
Photobucket has been a lousy site for a year or longer. Every time I wanted to view an image hosted on PB, it redirected me to its heavy advertisement and other Java Script infested web page. Loading that surely cost them more data transfer than the image would directly. For one reason or another, the actual image wouldn't show in Opera.

For the time being, ImgUr is a good host. To avoid an image from being transcoded with color subsampling, one can get an account an enable high quality in the profile. This site has also added more java script and social nonsense recently. Sometimes, based on cookies that exist in the browser, it also loads the whole website with javascript and displays a strange 404. But it works most of the time.

Reply #2
ImgUr is a good host.
This is the service I have been using. But it wouldn't surprise me if Imgur eventually follows the same path.
Dissent!

Reply #3
If other image hosting websites start doing this, maybe a few will be on the receiving end of a lawsuit or some other kind of legal ligation for defrauding customers (forget the USA even doing anything about it, it'll probably be the European Union that does something about it and once again USA customers will be forced to take it up the ass because they'll be in a different jurisdiction).

Honestly I hope other image hosting websites do not start doing this.

Reply #4
Yet another me-too service provider with a failed free-first, jack up prices later business model. It never works.

Reply #5
I'm another soon-to-be ex-Photobucket user, as soon as I've downloaded those images I want to keep. Suggestions for free image hosts, especially with sites that load quickly, would be gratefully received.

Reply #6
Imgur is fast enough for now, although it does have a time expiry for anonymous uploads if they're not accessed for several months. I'm not sure if the same applies to authenticated uploads, as I have some uploads that I don't think have been accessed for years, rather than just months.