Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good tagging program for MP3? (Read 4883 times) previous topic - next topic

Good tagging program for MP3?

Hey, is there a good program out there for properly and efficiently tagging a lot of MP3's? I just bought some albums (listed below if you're interested) and ripped them using EAC and then converted to --alt preset insane 320 kbps LAME-encoded MP3's. Unfortunately it doesn't look like EAC has one of those CD lookup features, which is fine, because I want to choose what I want in the tags anyway. So is there a good program for tagging these? Looking at endless lists of TrackXX files is getting annoying.

--Leftoverature (remastered) (Kansas)
--Awake (Dream Theater)
--LIVE (Bob Marley)
--Wish You Were Here (remaster special edition) (Pink Floyd)
--Four Chords and Several Years Ago (Huey Lewis and The News)

So far they're all great!

Reply #1
Hey, is there a good program out there for properly and efficiently tagging a lot of MP3's? I just bought some albums (listed below if you're interested) and ripped them using EAC and then converted to --alt preset insane 320 kbps LAME-encoded MP3's. Unfortunately it doesn't look like EAC has one of those CD lookup features, which is fine, because I want to choose what I want in the tags anyway. So is there a good program for tagging these? Looking at endless lists of TrackXX files is getting annoying.

--Leftoverature (remastered) (Kansas)
--Awake (Dream Theater)
--LIVE (Bob Marley)
--Wish You Were Here (remaster special edition) (Pink Floyd)
--Four Chords and Several Years Ago (Huey Lewis and The News)

So far they're all great!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC has a lookup feature.  I'm at work so I can't tell you how to access it but it's not hard to find.

EDIT: and foobar2000 is a great tagger and I believe there is a plugin that allows you to access one of the databases to look up titles and tracknumbers.

Reply #2
On EAC main screen, select menu EAC-> EAC Options or press F9 key. Under the 'General' tab you'll find the option 'On unknow CDs' -> 'automatically access online freedb database'.

Make sure you have the freedb options configured - EAC-> freedb / Database Options or press F12 key. Also, is worth to check the ID3 tag options under the ID3 tag tab on Compression Options - EAC-> Compression Options or press F11 key.

Reply #4
Very nice. It will tag the files for me, however, there is no way to edit what I want in the tags, so now the tracks are being listed alphabetically since there's no "01" in front of the track names. Extremely irritating, and extremely stupid. And as far as I can see, there is no "options" window for this feedb thing as far as I can see. Checked FAQ's. Nothing.

Reply #5
You can edit the tags in EAC
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #6
You can edit the tags in EAC
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287680"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, I did figure that (would be stupid to not be able to) but could you possibly tell me where I can edit what appears in the track name?

edit: OK, I got my LAME settings right. I don't know why, but it will let me put any parameter in that box except the --alt preset one.

I still can't get these titles to include the number. This is quite a silly thing, I don't obviously feel like going through each one and putting "01", "02" in front of it. Tagging is working, but foobar still loads them in alphabetical order even though I have the track number inbluded in the tag. Very annoying, any ideas?

Reply #7
For every external encoder you can configure eac the way you like for tagging and adding the number in front shoulkdnt be a problem...
Just check a sticky threads in mp3 section,also with search funktion you should find links for few manuals how to mproperly configure eac in all aspects...
Or,you can just rip normally in eac,and play resulting files in foobar-regardless if wav or mp3.Foobar will encode if needed to mp3 and tag them with freedb-additonally you can add or edit tags with foobar,rename files..whatever.
Foobar is th4e real deal-for real

Reply #8
To get the number in the title when using EAC, go to EAC Options and then to the Filename tab.  Use %N.

For example, if you a track no. 5 called blah, using %N - %T will make the filename 05 - Blah.  Hope this helps.

Kalen

PS: Not sure about this one, but it's worth a shot.  In foobar, in preferences, go to core.  There is a setting for how to sort incoming files.  Mine is
Code: [Select]
%_path%|$num(%_subsong%,9)

and sorts numerically.  I don't know if this could be causing a problem for you, but it's an idea.
Kittens give Morbo gas.

Reply #9
To get the number in the title when using EAC, go to EAC Options and then to the Filename tab.  Use %N.

For example, if you a track no. 5 called blah, using %N - %T will make the filename 05 - Blah.  Hope this helps.

Kalen

PS: Not sure about this one, but it's worth a shot.  In foobar, in preferences, go to core.  There is a setting for how to sort incoming files.  Mine is
Code: [Select]
%_path%|$num(%_subsong%,9)

and sorts numerically.  I don't know if this could be causing a problem for you, but it's an idea.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287702"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you. Perfect. Don't know how I could have missed that!!

edit: Can I suggest someone add this to the FAQ btw? I'm sure that would help other non-search-inclined morons like myself.

Reply #10
Glad I could help 
Kittens give Morbo gas.

Reply #11
Is foobar a good program for just renaming your already ID3V2 tagged mp3s?  I have like 400 files that I used to have all lowercase... Now I want every first letter capitalized... don't want any other changes made to the file.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Keith

Reply #12
I have like 400 files that I used to have all lowercase... Now I want every first letter capitalized... don't want any other changes made to the file.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Keith
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288288"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you use the OS X version of iTunes, you could use the "Proper English Title Capitalization" AppleScript

Reply #13
Is foobar a good program for just renaming your already ID3V2 tagged mp3s?  I have like 400 files that I used to have all lowercase... Now I want every first letter capitalized... don't want any other changes made to the file.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Keith
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288288"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sure, use mp3tag for example.. go to Convert -> Actions

mp3tag can even tag files based on their size.. but only if you've got complete album and files are sorted by tracks [01 - track 1, 02 - track 2, ..] (this is answer for original question)