Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use old icons? (Read 4038 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use old icons?

Hi!

Is it possible to use old icons? In my opinion they're a lot nicer looking ones, more stylish.

I tried to downgrade to v1.4 beta 6 and to v1.3.17, but the new ones introduced in v.1.4 beta 7 sticked.

Best Regards

Re: How to use old icons?

Reply #1
Replace the files in foobar2000\icons directory with the ones from this zip:

Reply #3
I'm trying to decide if I should feel left out. I assume I still have the old icons. They don't appear to have changed, although there's fewer of them compared to the zip file Case uploaded. (fb2k 1.4 beta 6).

Is still having the old icons an XP thing? Not that I'm complaining. XP and I are quite happy using the current (old) icons.

Cheers.

Reply #4
You need beta 7 to get the new icons. The zip contains more icon files than you have because the new set includes icons for more formats. This zip just re-uses generic icons for the missing formats so all new icons get overwritten.

The old icon set was made in Windows Vista-era when gloss and lens flares were fashionable. That style is no longer in use in operating systems or in file format icons. Also the old icon uses the long retired sharp-edged aliencat. New set is flat, uses familiar colors and contains icons for formats that have come into existence since 2007.

I made the new set and I can still change it if there are good suggestions. And Peter can ditch it if people hate it.

Reply #6
Allow me to offer a complete retraction. I installed beta 7 and I think I quite like the new icons. The colours are a little louder, but I'll probably be used to that by tomorrow.

Thanks.

Reply #7
If I could choose I would choose the new ones, it looks more elegant to me.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #8
In old set, icons for apl, cue, m3u, m3u8, fpl, pls have different colors. In new set, icons for apl, cue, m3u, m3u8, fpl, pls have the same color. So with new set, its harder to differentiate these playlists when looking on icons.

Reply #9
The aliencat shape would be better defined if it had a faint outline border. The generic, mka and, to a lesser degree, aac/m4a icons have too similar brightness to white, and are hard on the eyes. A common flaw in flat design, which uses only 2 random colors.

Reply #10
"Flat design" is common flaw by itself...

Reply #11
The aliencat shape would be better defined if it had a faint outline border. The generic, mka and, to a lesser degree, aac/m4a icons have too similar brightness to white, and are hard on the eyes. A common flaw in flat design, which uses only 2 random colors.

Only complaint I have as well, rest look great.

Reply #12
In old set, icons for apl, cue, m3u, m3u8, fpl, pls have different colors. In new set, icons for apl, cue, m3u, m3u8, fpl, pls have the same color. So with new set, its harder to differentiate these playlists when looking on icons.
The old playlist icons used mp3, ogg and mpc icons for the filetypes. Playlist isn't locked to certain format and it made no sense. Also I'd imagine there's only one playlist in a dir normally. It having a different icon from the audio files makes it easier to spot.

I agree the first two icons had a bit low contrast. I attached a suggested change for those.

Edit: attachment removed. New icons included in the foobar2000 installer.

Reply #13
I'd imagine there's only one playlist in a dir normally
Folders with track-based lossless backup can contain two playlists: non-compliant cue (which is needed to save info about indexes on CD if it was ripped to separate tracks but is not suitable for playback) and m3u/m3u8/pls/fpl for playback. So for cue different icon would be useful.

Reply #14
Good point. I revised the icons based on feedback here and in this thread. I made the alien cat smaller in playlists like in the other special icons. APL was incorrectly shaped after regular playlist when it's quite different. Cue icon now uses the same base color as CDA. The smallest icons have been cleaned up and the playlist icons have the list visible at that size too.

Edit: attachment removed. New icons included in the foobar2000 installer.

Reply #15
is there something like generic playlist icon?

nevermind, that's probably bad idea.

Reply #16
Thanks for this. I vastly prefer the glossy look if at all possible and personally hate how everything seems to be getting redesigned for Windows 10 "flat" look. Shame that we can't get icons matching the old theme for some of the new file formats.