Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rename folder according to tags (Read 3426 times) previous topic - next topic

Rename folder according to tags

Does anyone know if it's possible to rename folders to contents of the tags of the files within? [my folders are named "%artist% - %album%" now, and I want to rename them to the "%artist - [%year%] - %album%" pattern].
I tried ca5e's Tag with the Tagger front-end, but it can only create sub-folders containing only the files which contain tags, leaving cover-art, log-files, playlists etc. in the old folder.
live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever

Reply #1
It is currently not possible with fb2k, but it would be nice to have it as a plugin. It's no fun renaming Shorten files with Masstagger while the external seektables/tag files get "left behind".

Reply #2
Thx for your reply. Hmz.. now.. what would take more time.. learning a programming language and writing the plug-in myself or renaming all my 866 album-folders manually..
Or have patience and hope for someone with more knowledge and/or creativity than me..
I'm going for the last option B) .

Reply #4
Not sure about renaming folders, but foobar2000's Masstagger has the support to create  folders based on tags. What I do is just dump all the files into one directory then use the rename command of masstagger and tell it to rename in the format
Code: [Select]
%artist% - %year% - %album%\%tracknumber%. %artist% - %title%

Just make sure to tell it to create folders at the slashes.

Reply #5
Thx for your replies. I took a look at the tagger juglesh mentioned, and it only supports mp3's and ID3v1 + 2 tags, while a great part of my compressed audio collection exists from MPC's tagged w/APEv2 tags.
The method mentioned by Geek4life would be ideal, if there wouldn't be no-tag-containing files in my album-folders [logs, covers, checksums etc.]  Still, doing it this way and moving the no-tag-containing files/deleting the old directories manually afterwards takes less time then renaming all albums manually so it's the best option till thusfar. Still [not-so-silently  B) ] hoping for someone to write a FB plug-in to fulfill my wishes  [should probably have posted this in the 3rd party plug-ins forum in the 1st place, but wasn't sure if a plug-in/program to do this did exist yet].

Reply #6
use this nice tagger-tool and use the function MOVE -> Move all files to one folder with the specs you like, for example "..\A - L (Y G)\"

activate "Remove empty subfolders" and "include subdirs".

have fun
cheers ;-)

EDIT: It somehow works with this tool, but I can give not garantuee, it´s not always working the way it should :-(