Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 2.1.18 (OSX) on 10.11.6 audio cuts out in favor of system sounds (Read 684 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 2.1.18 (OSX) on 10.11.6 audio cuts out in favor of system sounds

I know OSX support is fairly new, but I figured I'd toss this out there for consideration. On 2.1.8 using OSX El Cap (10.11.6), 2015 Macbook Pro. Using two external monitors via Thunderbolt/Displayport.

At first I thought playback was stopping, but I realised that its more that the audio randomly seems to 'mute'. My best guess is that Foobar is muting when a system sound plays, but isn't unmuting. e.g. I've got the slack app running, and I noticed that getting a message notification seems to 'mute' foobar. What's odd is that I've never noticed system sounds on the norm when using other music players. But that's the best guess I have for now.

If I mouse over or click into the foobar window, playback resumes - which is also kind of odd. But that also plays into my theory that this has something to do with Foobar 'muting' the audio or otherwise giving up control over the audio stream to 'something', but not resuming control when that 'something' is done doing 'something.'

Upgrading to a newer version of OSX isn't currently in the cards due to some issues the latest versions cause on the software stack I work with. The issue does not exist in 2.1.14 as far as I can tell.