Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Choosing the right amplifier (Rotel vs Primare) (Read 10965 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Choosing the right amplifier (Rotel vs Primare)

Reply #25
...and I'm wondering what all this sophistication is attempting to recreate and whether it addresses something as fundamental as Fletcher-Munson.  I'm also wondering how it can make questionable EQ mastering decisions sound subjectively better.

In the meantime I'll be enjoying music at any listening level without worrying about how it looks on a computer screen or having my enjoyment be dictated by numerical figures on a piece of paper or how much I spent on the equipment.

What's the point of being concerned about "unbalancing the sound spectrum amplitude" without also being concerned with the way the human auditory system works?

I'm actually not opposed to room correction, but it is certainly not a substitute for a good set of tone controls (and vice versa, though I'd bet you'd be surprised how well your hearing is able to adapt and compensate for a less than perfect listening environment).  Speaking of which, have the room correction gods manged to figure out how to compensate for my turning my head or moving to another seat?

Reply #26
...and I'm wondering what all this sophistication is attempting to recreate and whether it addresses something as fundamental as Fletcher-Munson.  I'm also wondering how it can make questionable EQ mastering decisions sound subjectively better.

In the meantime I'll be enjoying music at any listening level without worrying about how it looks on a computer screen or having my enjoyment be dictated by numerical figures on a piece of paper or how much I spent on the equipment.

What's the point of being concerned about "unbalancing the sound spectrum amplitude" without also being concerned with the way the human auditory system works?

I'm actually not opposed to room correction, but it is certainly not a substitute for a good set of tone controls (and vice versa, though I'd bet you'd be surprised how well your hearing is able to adapt and compensate for a less than perfect listening environment).  Speaking of which, have the room correction gods manged to figure out how to compensate for my turning my head or moving to another seat?

There is no sophistications at all, you have an input signal and you should have an identical output signal, the sound engineers should be competent for the input signal creation... i imagine  :D

Reply #27
A wide bands equalizer applied on loudspeakers designed to sound flat in an anechoic chamber will unbalance the spectrum amplitude of your direct singal.
That makes no sense. No one designs loudspeakers to "sound" flat in an anechoic chamber. No listening is done there. They are usually designed to measure "flat" in an anechoic chamber, at least on axis. The better ones off axis too.
So there would be no need to apply EQ to the "direct signal" in this case, since the "direct signal" has a flat onset, regardless of room effects once placed.
Now if you are referring to non nearfield EQ of sound power as affected by room, then yes, this cannot be done without affecting the "direct" onset sound, so there are arguments against that. Especially >500hz or so. Below that, the room dominates the sound power/modal interaction, so there is an argument for EQ there, judiciously. Cut peaks only, don't attempt to boost holes.
I would argue for not putting excess power there to begin with, but that is another story.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #28
Solve the soundfield problems by modifying imperceptibly the direct sound requires virtuosis competences and advanced tools, i'm dubitative about how ignorant people with simplistic tools can perfom it.
There is no sophistications at all
I see.

An imperceptible solution -- that's brilliant.
:D

Reply #29
you have an input signal and you should have an identical output signal
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

the sound engineers should be competent for the input signal creation
I prefer to use what is convenient and at my disposal in order to enjoy otherwise good content rather than pass it up because I have a phobia of tone controls.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

How are the engineers supposed to address this little problem?

Reply #30
I'm looking for a new amplifier too, mostly to get rid of the FM tuner in my receiver but I don't have a real time frame or budget yet. So I looked at those three and was kinda shocked that only the Primare I25 had a RCA line and an digital coax out on the back.

I guess people with tape decks are not the target audience for those amplifiers.

Reply #32
€2500 just to get rid of an FM tuner?  What else is this amp "buying" you?

Oh no, the amplifier here are way out of my personal league but I didn't really want to take this thread to my issue, just offer my reason which amplifier the person above should chose, the one which has a line out on the back.

Also I currently doubt I will get rid of mine anytime soon, it is 25+ years old and has two line outs, one is marked tape the other DCC. Which let me feel nostalgic.

Reply #34
I remember when I was a teen I would pick up those brochures by Sony or any other brands with high end HiFi components and read why they are so awesome and expensive. On a Sony they claimed the amplifier won't change the sound when you turn up the volume.

Now, I'm part of the huge realistic good enough faction but I can't deny that those devices still have fascination for me. Probably a reason why I just can't stop reading about people buying and testing expensive cable.