Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FDK-AAC codec test (Read 6689 times) previous topic - next topic

FDK-AAC codec test

I originally posted this in reply to a question over in the AAC general forum but, being new, I didn't realize that listening tests could not be posted there. Anyway I didn't want the test to go to waste so I'm posting it here.

I have been wanting to transcode a sizable chunk of my flac audio collection to make it friendly for my mobile devices which I usually listen to with earbuds. So I started messing about with the faac and fdkaac codecs on linux. I quickly settled on fdkaac and continued testing out various encoder options, focusing  on vbr m5, HE-AAC 64k, and HE-AAC v2 40k. I ended up choosing HE-AAC v2 40k for the quality vs file size results which I felt were pretty impressive for a mobile music library.

I have two listening tests here for anyone interested... One :19sec and one :25sec song sample... Both samples provideds as uncompressed wav and various aac encoded using the fdkacc codec.

TEST 1: includes samples of two songs, each at full wav 16bit 44.1, vbr m5, HE-AAC 64k, and HE-AAC v2 40k along with their respective spectrograms. AAC_TEST.rar

TEST 2: this is an ABX version of the same samples with the test answers included in the txt files, so listen to the samples before looking at the results. AAC_ABX_TEST.rar

Feedback is welcomed.