Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec? (Read 125354 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec?

Reply #25
Has anyone tried this out yet?  Was wondering if they fixed from WMP9:

1) Wrong playtime calculations on LAME encoded (VBR related?) MP3s
2) Couldn't FF/RW LAME MP3s
3) Inability to force it to use tag metadata for library features - it kept creating virtual tags via the Allmusic.com database which created problems like artist consistency (Beatles, The vs. The Beatles vs. Beatles, etc.)
4) Inconsistent / cumbersome behavior when trying to associate cover art with albums

Would like to know if these have been fixed before I even think about installing it on my machine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I never had a problem seeking on LAME MP3s with WMP9, but as for the rest I am equally curious and will try it out in about an hour when I get home from work.

Reply #26
It also comes with the new WMA 9.1 codec !

Reply #27
Nope, still has my MP3s with bitrates generated completely at random

Reply #28
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239101"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad - do the FF/RW buttons work on LAME MP3s?  What a shame that MS doesn't care enough to properly support MP3.  I would be interested to know if you saw any of the other issues or if they have been corrected.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #29
it did not even play any of my mp3s. says suitable codec not found:)

Reply #30
it did not even play any of my mp3s. says suitable codec not found:)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239191"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same, I d/led from Wish's link, uninstalled my Raduim hack then installed WMP 10 & now no FhG mp3 codec is installed. Could be I didn't restart my PC yet?

Reply #31
K, I re-booted, still no ACM FhG mp3 codec. XPSP2, Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3646.

Reply #32
I have it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\l3codecp.acm

Just installed WMP10 although, I couldn't say for sure it came from installing that. I didn't check previously.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #33
Has anyone tried this out yet?  Was wondering if they fixed from WMP9:

1) Wrong playtime calculations on LAME encoded (VBR related?) MP3s
2) Couldn't FF/RW LAME MP3s
3) Inability to force it to use tag metadata for library features - it kept creating virtual tags via the Allmusic.com database which created problems like artist consistency (Beatles, The vs. The Beatles vs. Beatles, etc.)
4) Inconsistent / cumbersome behavior when trying to associate cover art with albums

Would like to know if these have been fixed before I even think about installing it on my machine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) OK.
2) OK.

Reply #34
WMP10 broke mp3 support in the player for me as well...

I'll investigate further when I have the time...

Reply #35
actually (and this is weird) WMP10 seems to display 2 different bitrates - the old (wrong) one, and a correct average bitrate on the bottom bar while the file is playing. Also going to file/properties while a VBR MP3 is playing displays (in the same window) both the correct bitrate AND the old wrong one. Yeesh!

Reply #36
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad - do the FF/RW buttons work on LAME MP3s?  What a shame that MS doesn't care enough to properly support MP3.  I would be interested to know if you saw any of the other issues or if they have been corrected.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239107"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is FF = fast foward?
then..................this is my answer
Yes, Yes, it even works with mpg, avi etc etc

just download this add on and you can FF/RW anything that uses DirectShow to playback video/audio

[a href="http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter/]http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter/[/url]

Reply #38
MP3's seem to work fine for me. And after installing the 3ivx codec from 3ivx.com, WMP10 will now play M4A's with no trouble. Even will recognize them and allow you to put them in the music library, although it doesn't seem to understand the tags yet.

Reply #39
MP3's seem to work fine for me. And after installing the 3ivx codec from 3ivx.com, WMP10 will now play M4A's with no trouble. Even will recognize them and allow you to put them in the music library, although it doesn't seem to understand the tags yet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239335"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just a heads up:  The AAC decoder in 3ivx is trialware AFAIK, so after 30 days you'll beed to grav coreaac or some other filter or it'll stop working.

---

No problems with MP3s here.

Reply #40
Just a heads up:  The AAC decoder in 3ivx is trialware AFAIK, so after 30 days you'll beed to grav coreaac or some other filter or it'll stop working.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239345"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just wanted to see if that had been fixed or made possible yet. With WMP9, there was basically no way to get WMP to recognize or allow M4A's to go into the library. I'll remove 3ivx now that I know, as I don't use WMP anyway.

Reply #41
My system....
Athlon XP 1500+ (which run in 1.33GHz)
768MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB
Maxtor 40GB HDD
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM plus external CD-RW drive
E-MU 1820m w/o sync card

The recommended by M$...
1.5GHz & above CPU What kind of processing power it needed???
512MB RAM Yeah!!!
256MB Display Card Is WMP10 with Doom3/HL2 engine built in?
60GB FREE HDD space I thought the download size is only 11,638KB? Will it expand 500 times after installing?
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive Sheesh, luckily no DVD-RW drive needed.
24-bit Soundcard for HDCD Lucky me.
5.1 compatible Soundcard for MultiChannel Contents Bad Luck of me.
Break The Rules!!!

Reply #42
Oh, you are so funny!

Reply #43
256MB is enough for the player if you don't run those visualizations.

Don't fret, guys. Just tested it on a friends 700Mhz, 256MB PC and it runs like a dream as long as you dont run the new visualizations.

Reply #44
Per Wish,Sep 2 2004, 05:46 AM: "I don't believe it, MS has included a 2004 compiled FhG Professional ACM codec with WMP10 final....Thanks to MTRH for hosting this pic."

It's amazing that the above message remains posted.  Has anyone actually verified the assertion?  On XP-SP2, I downloaded WMP10.  The FhG codec did NOT change from the 1.9 (Build 305) that had been previously installed.

Reply #45
Per Wish,Sep 2 2004, 05:46 AM: "I don't believe it, MS has included a 2004 compiled FhG Professional ACM codec with WMP10 final....Thanks to MTRH for hosting this pic."

It's amazing that the above message remains posted.  Has anyone actually verified the assertion?  On XP-SP2, I downloaded WMP10.  The FhG codec did NOT change from the 1.9 (Build 305) that had been previously installed.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239383"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I could verify that WMP10 installed on my WinXP-SP1 machine.

This codec encodes really fast (ca. 40x on my Pentium-IV machine). Quality of 128Kbps is OK for my portable use.

Reply #46

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239383"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Search for that file l3codecp.acm, you'll find it in Windows\System32. I can't believe people would think I am making this up.     

It doesn't register the l3codecp.acm as an ACM codec in the registry, thats why the ACM codec manager and other apps don't see it.

Reply #47
Yes. I already scanned the INF files bundled with the installer. It is registered as the preferred MP3 encoder for WMP, but not as a standard ACM codec.

Reply #48
Windows Media Player seems to use this codec for ripping audio CDs from the fact that we can choose 128Kbps or higher for MP3 encoding. But if you want to use this codec from other programs such as CDex, you have to make a registory hack to activate this codec.

This codec encodes really fast (ca. 40x on my Pentium-IV machine). Quality of 128Kbps is OK for my portable use.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239399"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you got this registry hack? Are other bitrates selectables? Is ABR/VBR implemented?

Edit: Nevermind, I managed to hack the registry myself and it looks like just CBR is implemented.

Norman

Reply #49
I can also confirm that the new mp3 codec encodes very fast, certainly for an FhG one anyways.  It doesn't appear in ACM list though the ability to encode at 128 kbps is enough proof to me that it is "there"