Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC v1.3.2 Final (Read 305567 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLAC v1.3.2 Final

Reply #25
I think Free Encoder Pack can wait for the next official release, which I have understood isn't far away. The bug shouldn't affect use with foobar's converter since WAV format can't feed the encoder 64-bit numbers that triggered the problem.

Reply #26
The bug shouldn't affect use with foobar's converter since WAV format can't feed the encoder 64-bit numbers that triggered the problem.
But actually i first encountered problem with this file when tried to convert it with foobar2000. Now i tested it one more time in foobar's converter with flac from encoder pack to be sure. Yes, problem exists in foobar2000 converter with flac from encoder pack, but not with your fixed version. Difference is that problem appears closer to the end of file, not in beginning, when using foobar's converter.
Code: [Select]
1 out of 1 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "C:\Windows\System32\d;\music\noise.w64"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "G:\noise.flac"
  Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 96000Hz / 6ch / 24bps
  Command line: "D:\0__CODECS\LOSSLESS\FLAC\flac-1.3.2 NO SSE2\flac.exe" -s --channel-map=none --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 -V - -o "noise.flac"
  Working folder: G:\

Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters

Reply #27
That changes things. I'll give Peter a new version and hopefully he can update the pack soon.

Reply #28
Would be nice to see up-to-date FLAC libraries (libflac.dll - e.g. for use in eac3to) on RareWares as well.

Reply #29
FLAC compiles updated on Rarewares to latest GIT 1.3.2. These are probably no faster than the official release but do incorporate all the updates subsequent to the release, of which there have been many. :)

Reply #34
Thanks for compiling new builds NetRanger, do you see any speed difference when converting between yours and the Intel compiles?

Reply #35
@eahm - Don't really bother about speed when i encode audio, so i haven't looked into it.

Reply #37
Maybe a stupid question, but how do we know unofficial git builds does not "break" something?
When there aren't a new stable release with a version number; can we be sure no corruption or errors occure?
In other words: Are these binaries considered beta/ test, or "daily driver"?

Reply #38
Maybe a stupid question, but how do we know unofficial git builds does not "break" something?

encoding options:
  -V, --verify  Verify a correct encoding by decoding the output in parallel and comparing to the original

...At least for the encoded bits.

For those that want another option, here are 64-bit windows binaries, etc. from the 9 April 2017 source:

https://40th.com/jb/flac_gpl/files/

or build your own from what's there.
BANNED

Reply #39

You don't know that short of testing each build yourself.

In other words: Are these binaries considered beta/ test, or "daily driver"?

They're just unofficial binaries people post online.  They're not considered anything. 

Reply #40

encoding options:
  -V, --verify  Verify a correct encoding by decoding the output in parallel and comparing to the original

Although I doubt that the following will ever be an issue, then this is in principle not a safe way to test an application. Suppose somewhere in the code the encoding is done wrong (think of "1 000 000" by mistake being encoded as "ten" rather than "million") and the code is recycled for the decoding: the "ten" is decoded to "1 000 000" and the verify option gives thumbs up.
I would be very surprised to see anything like that in the official FLAC source.  (On the other hand, I suppose anything of that kind could happen to a DIY port by created by an endianness-ignorant idiot like myself, but I digress.) But there is a reason that one writes software test suites independently.

Of course --verify guards against a helluvalot of other thinkable errors, some of which are not even related to the application itself.

Reply #41
For those that want another option, here are 64-bit windows binaries, etc. from the 9 April 2017 source:
https://40th.com/jb/flac_gpl/files/
I can't download 20170409_xiph_flac_bin_winx64.zip, I got this error message:
Code: [Select]
403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /jb/flac_gpl/files/20170409_xiph_flac_bin_winx64.zip on this server.

No problem with the other files though.

Reply #47
As most of the recent posts are not about FLAC 1.3.2 at all but rather about the latest GIT version, wouldn't it be a good idea to create a new topic specifically about the latest GIT builds?

Perhaps an admin could split it off so old posts are kept?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead