Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 649061 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #100
128 kbit ABR

--alt-preset 128

or (ff123's and Hans' suggestion -- http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):

--abr 134 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

128 kbit/s CBR (More Discussion)

--alt-preset cbr 128

-h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

So now i edited the abr/cbr sezzings for 128 kbit to the version in this post.

Are they now as short as possible and correct ?

Reply #101

--abr 134 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93 

should be:

--abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

The bitrates for ABR should now approach the specified number

ff123

Reply #102
Done

Reply #103
done

Reply #105
Originally posted by user
Updated January 23, 2002

<i>Note: These settings require Lame 3.90

I thought v3.91 was recommended?

Reply #106
The "inofficial" 3.90.2 from this page produces the same output as the official 3.91 version, but it encodes faster.

Reply #107
Originally posted by CiTay
The "inofficial" 3.90.2 from this page produces the same output as the official 3.91 version, but it encodes faster.
On the other hand, 3.90.2 no longer seems to be available here ("The requested URL /extra/LAME/lame3.90.2-ICL.zip was not found on this server."), so I guess 3.91 it is.

Reply #108
Originally posted by Delirium
On the other hand, 3.90.2 no longer seems to be available here ("The requested URL /extra/LAME/lame3.90.2-ICL.zip was not found on this server."), so I guess 3.91 it is.

In this case, use my mirror: http://www.citay.de/lame3.90.2-ICL.zip

Reply #109
Dibrom,

This is in regards to the 128 kb/sec preset:
-b128 --nspsytune -mj -h --athtype 2 --ns-bass -8 --lowpass 16 --scale 0.93

I have a few reccommendations here.  I feel it would improve quality for all other frequencies under 16k to put the lowpass down to --lowpass 15.  There should be a significant gain in quality when the entire sfb-21 is removed from even being used here.  A lowpass setting of 16 will trigger sfb-21 to use bits and waste bits that are so important for the lower frequencies here.

The next suggestion that I have is to lower the --scale 0.93.  After some reading and experimenting, I found that a --lowpass of 15 or 16 will generate a higher volume which is shown in soundforge just by using your suggested command line.  Lowering the --scale setting to 0.86 nearly obliterates clipping except in a scant few situations while your current reccommendation of 0.93 is clipping for me so bad that I can clearly hear it hurting quality while 0.86 is clearly superior, especially for these high volume CDs coming out today.

My test song wasn't even the worst example of compression/volume either.  The song I used to determine the best scale setting was Alanis Morissette - Thank U on her 1998 album Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie.  (Most highly compressed pop-rock music you can buy today will be the same)  When using your reccommended --scale 0.93, the last 20 seconds of the song are badly clipped and it's audibly causing saturation in the sound.  Soundforge confirms the heavy clipping.  With --scale 0.86, the clipping is totally gone.  It's obvious that the lowpass is causing this increase in volume and that a lower --scale setting is necessary to offset the saturation.

mp3

Reply #110
Hi!

With the new release of LAME 3.92, this thread is going to be updated?
Dibrom is going to make his build, or testing for the best recommended LAME settings using the last build? (or if still 3.90-2 is better, a note about it?)

Thanks!
\"I never said I would stay to the end...\"

Reply #111
Originally posted by obazavil
Hi!

With the new release of LAME 3.92, this thread is going to be updated?
Dibrom is going to make his build, or testing for the best recommended LAME settings using the last build? (or if still 3.90-2 is better, a note about it?)

Thanks!

There should be no real difference in quality between 3.92 and 3.90.2.  The code behind the --alt-presets hasn't changed any.  Therefore, it's probably best to just use the latest version, 3.92.

Reply #112
dibrom,

do you have any idea the "best" command line for quality/compression ratio for portable devices?

Thanks a zill!

Reply #113
Originally posted by andrew
do you have any idea the "best" command line for quality/compression ratio for portable devices?

Maybe I can save Dibrom some time here...

If you just scan the headers in the MP3 forum, you'll probably find your answer. Here are some links to get you started:

Best portable MP3 setting?

Best preset for PORTABLE MP3 CD PLAYERS

--alt-preset medium

Suggest ~160kbps VBR setting.

how to get the lower bitrates?

Dibrom has suggested adding the -Y switch to --alt-preset standard as a way to lower bitrates (see here). This disables the global gain in scalefactor resolution that is used when high frequencies are encoded (see the last link for a better explanation). In English: it means most frequencies over 16KHz are no longer encoded, but some people can't tell the difference anyway (myself included).

Another option that Gabriel mentioned and Dibrom acknowledged (I'm not sure that he "recommended" it though) is to use something like --athaa-sensitivity -11 (more info here). Try the -Y switch, though, and see if the bitrates and quality are good enough for you.

And read the links above, since much wiser words have already been said on the subject!

Reply #114
Compromising, a little bit lower quality than pure standard, but less bitrate (-Y: usually limited up to 16 kHz) :

--alt-preset standard -Y

Reply #115
What would help alot is if someone could set up a simple listening test that was easier to setup than d/l ABX and suitable .wav's.
A one stop dowload that you could run with minimal button pressing that people could test their listening range with ease.They could then choose a suitable setting to encode at.

Reply #116
Where can I find out what the full switches for --alt-preset are?

Reply #117
At the start of this thread.
First post.

Reply #118
Originally posted by ChAoS Overlord
Where can I find out what the full switches for --alt-preset are?

--alt-presets aren't simply presets.
They include code-level modifications for better quality.

So, it's impossible to replace --alt-presets with a lenghty string of switches like, say, --r3mix.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #119
Why do a lot of ppl want to have the (non-existing) command lines behind the --alt-presets? Does it look better if you use a command line which is about 4 inch instead?

Reply #120
(MP3 Decoder tests - which decoders are recommended, which are faulty !)
Decoder test by David Robinson

Even now there has been something to add.

Reply #121
added links to analyzing mp3.

Reply #122
http://www.dvdboard.de/forum/showthread.php?threadid=38331

As there are a lot of German language speaking users who are completely without the right knowledge, it would be nice, if the list is translated to German.

As I have not much time, does somebody of the Germans reading here want to do it ?

Please look at link above.

Reply #123
In David Robinson's test, Nero5 is reported as cutting the end of MP3s, but it's just cutting the end of ANY file, even uncompressed wav !
This was corected in Nero 5.5.7.8.

Reply #124
Same list in [span style='font-size:18']German language = Deutsch[/span]  at dvdboard.de
The German translation was carried out by:  user = Anwender

Now there is the german translation.

Let's hope, that it helps to persuade even more people.

Spread the word !

It would be nice, if there would be even more translations of the list in other languages, so that Lame , the alt-presets and following quality are spreaded more and more around the world.