Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC/EAC Questions (Read 4203 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC/EAC Questions

I've decided to make back-up copies of all my CD's (which I may later sell) on my computer.

1.  When playing back encoded FLAC files with a codec, is the sound quality the same as an uncompressed file?

2.  In FLAC frontend, what does "encoding level" affect?

3.  When I encode my WAV files into FLAC, I get a message that says "Warning: unexpected EOF, expected [X] samples, got [Y] samples"  The files seem to be OK, but I'm not sure what the error message means.

4.  I've been using Winamp to rip WAV files... is EAC a better option?

5.  I'm thinking of getting a 500 GB Lacie external HD in addition to my Maxtor 250 GB.  I haven't had a good experience with my Maxtor, it failed once already and the replacement seems to have failed recently as well, so I decided to go with another brand.  Does anyone know anything about Lacie?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Alex

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #1
1. When playing back encoded FLAC files with a codec, is the sound quality the same as an uncompressed file?

Yes it is  .

2. In FLAC frontend, what does "encoding level" affect?

The actual compression level that's being used. I am not sure about the front-end, but the default is -c 5. You can use use a switch like -c 8 or 9 for maximum compression, but it's not guranteed to increase compression effciency and will be painstakingly slow due to the fact that the encoder has to do an "exhaustive search". 

4. I've been using Winamp to rip WAV files... is EAC a better option?

Yes, a lot of people around here use EAC due to the fact that it does C2 error correction and, because it can also do burst extraction. It's also very easy to configure with numerous codecs as a few of our members have written extremely helpful guides on how to configure it in the wiki 
budding I.T professional

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #2
2. In FLAC frontend, what does "encoding level" affect?

The actual compression level that's being used. I am not sure about the front-end, but the default is -c 5. You can use use a switch like -c 8 or 9 for maximum compression, but it's not guranteed to increase compression effciency and will be painstakingly slow due to the fact that the encoder has to do an "exhaustive search".

The higest compression level is 8.

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #3
The higest compression level is 8.

That's right it is forgive me I haven't used the command-line encoder in a while  . I think I was experimenting with different block sizes also at the time.
budding I.T professional

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #4
i want to encode into flac.
i already have cdex but i don't know if it does it or how to do it with it.
i have downloaded the front end but do not know how to get the file names from CDDB.
i have EAC but don't know if i can encode into flac with that either.
how do you guys encode into flac?

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #5
i want to encode into flac i already have cdex i don't know if it does it or how to do it with that i have downloaded the front end but do not know how to get the file names from CDDB and have EAC but don't know if i can use flac with that either.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310456"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

plz put some . in your text. i had to read yout text twice to understand what you mean.
Heavy Metal Is the Law!!!
---Let 'Em Eat Metal---

FLAC/EAC Questions

Reply #6
i want to encode into flac i already have cdex i don't know if it does it or how to do it with that i have downloaded the front end but do not know how to get the file names from CDDB and have EAC but don't know if i can use flac with that either.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310456"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

plz put some . in your text. i had to read yout text twice to understand what you mean.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310460"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Haven't you heard?  That kind of spelling and punctuation is really kewl!  It roolz d00d!