Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC player for Mac OSX... (Read 15100 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC player for Mac OSX...

Does one exist?  Or is there even a plug-in for I-Tunes that could be used?  Please let me know, because I just encoded two cd's in FLAC and really don't want to have to encode them to MP3 just to listen.

Reply #1
There is an iTunes plugin, but it won't work with the latest version.

Reply #2
VLC

you can also use XMMS with the XMMS FLAC plugin from fink

Reply #4
Does one exist?  Or is there even a plug-in for I-Tunes that could be used?  Please let me know, because I just encoded two cd's in FLAC and really don't want to have to encode them to MP3 just to listen.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303210"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Until an updated plug-in is released, you could use FLACer or xACT to convert the files into AIFF and then to Apple Lossless in iTunes.

Reply #5
Bringing up the rear (sadly, after its initial promise) PureMusic Audio Player. MacAmp Lite is still the best IMO.

Reply #6
Hold the phone.....Fresh out today is Cog. Pretty feature light to say the least and you need to click the forward seek button rather than play to, er, play but you get Vorbis and APE support as well.

Reply #7
It's not in a usable state yet, but keep an eye on skiTunes, by the Growl and Adium folks.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #8
Thanks for all the replies guys.

My biggest question now is: Is there a Wav Pack encoder for Mac and a player?

Thought I might just kill two birds with one stone.

Reply #9
Mac Amp Lite X

http://arcticlounge.com/maltx/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303244"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's the cpu load like in comparision to Itunes?

Reply #10
What's the cpu load like in comparision to Itunes?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304477"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

compared to itunes, which can't play flac/shn files, maltx uses about 4% of my 867 while playing flacs

Reply #11
Mac Amp Lite X

Been using the last stable version of MacAmp Lite for a bit now, but I've noticed that the last beta version includes all of the plugins.

I'm thinking about switching.  Has anyone experienced any problems with the beta?

Reply #12
Mac Amp Lite X

Been using the last stable version of MacAmp Lite for a bit now, but I've noticed that the last beta version includes all of the plugins.

I'm thinking about switching.  Has anyone experienced any problems with the beta?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309279"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've found it extremely stable apart from periodically having to run:

$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/.matlx_license

as explained on the arctic lounge site.

You get the old spinning beachball for a while if you try to add a lot of FLACs etc from a CD-R but nothing too major. That said, I'm using Cog at least half the time now.

Reply #13
Mac Amp Lite X

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309279"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've found it extremely stable apart from periodically having to run:

$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/.matlx_license

as explained on the arctic lounge site.

You get the old spinning beachball for a while if you try to add a lot of FLACs etc from a CD-R but nothing too major. That said, I'm using Cog at least half the time now.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309325"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I love Cog myself, but I just wish it would show bitrates (which MaltX does).