Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (non critical) bug report | drag & drop on missing files (Read 1019 times) previous topic - next topic

(non critical) bug report | drag & drop on missing files

windows 10
foobar2000 1.6.6

when trying to export files from a playlist through dragging them into on an explorer window nothing will happen if at least one file is not available.
There is no console output.

A warning and a flag (like on EDIT>Revive-Dead-Items) would be nice.
Maybe a dialogue for skipping / locating dead tracks.

Re: (non critical) bug report | drag & drop on missing files

Reply #1
You should remove dead files first at Edit / Remove dead items.

How do you think would be possible to locate dead track(s)?
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
(?) because the dead items should be skipped and the rest should work as intended.

If there is no console output and there is no popup warning, how are you supposed to know the problem is a dead items on an entire playlist (?) Using 'Edit / Remove dead items' as a first preventive step before drag n' drop is not a real use-case for common users.

Either the software skips dead items or warns about what the problem is, but doing nothing without warning makes no sense at all.

Maybe a dialogue for skipping / locating dead tracks.
While it doesn't entirely solve the "no warning" non sense, you can batch check all your playlists with this tool. It will warn you about any playlist with dead items (so you don't have to check one by one), and can also find alternatives.
https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP

Reply #3
how are you supposed to know the problem is a dead items on an entire playlist (?)

I verified this before posting. Drag&Drop works without problems on a healthy playlist. If I delete a file nothing happens.

https://github.com/regorxxx/Playlist-Tools-SMP

Thanks, looks like a tool for the pros ;) I have six playlists, so at the moment 'Edit / Remove dead items' is totally fine.

Reply #4
how are you supposed to know the problem is a dead items on an entire playlist (?)

I verified this before posting. Drag&Drop works without problems on a healthy playlist. If I delete a file nothing happens.

Was not directed to you, but to him. I mean.. how can a casual user know that "nothing happening" should mean "dead items".

It's not a trivial answer. You obviously found what the problem was, but I would not expect most people to do that. Therefore -to me- that is clearly a weird behavior which should be solved by skipping dead items and/or giving a warning.

Reply #5
I can agree that warning or skipping dead items should be implemented on such option.
I was suggesting what would be the best scenario for the current state of possibilities.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why