Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.6.7 Beta 4 - Exclusive Mode broken for Modius (Read 2252 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6.7 Beta 4 - Exclusive Mode broken for Modius

I use a Schiit Modius DAC. Everything was fine with 1.6.7 Beta 3 and prior releases, but now with beta 4 and any source it sounds like it's skipping samples constantly - almost sounds like clipping except it's not loud. It's not listenable in exclusive mode, but it works fine in non-exclusive mode on the same DAC.

*EDIT* Quick question - does the new exclusive mode use push or event? Also, is there any way to change it? The Modius worked better with push with the old WASAPI exclusive output plugin, even with low buffer size for event.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Re: 1.6.7 Beta 4 - Exclusive Mode broken for Modius

Reply #1
Modius works properly again in exclusive mode on beta 5.

Reply #2
Default mode is now push as it works properly on more devices.
I added an advanced preferences option to toggle this if you need the other mode for some device.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
Thank you!
Concerning beta 5, and using exclusive mode in push, I got this error twice now:
Unrecoverable playback error: Buffer too large

That's all it says in the log. Before today I had never seen it, and an error popped up with playback stopping. I don't know which buffer it is referring to. With the old push mode, I used 200ms. So far with the new exclusive mode I've used the default of 100ms.

Reply #4
Thank you!
Concerning beta 5, and using exclusive mode in push, I got this error twice now:
Unrecoverable playback error: Buffer too large

That's all it says in the log. Before today I had never seen it, and an error popped up with playback stopping. I don't know which buffer it is referring to. With the old push mode, I used 200ms. So far with the new exclusive mode I've used the default of 100ms.

Did you try a smaller buffer setting? Did that fix it?

Reply #5
The issue is intermittent. It's only happened twice. And I actually changed that particular buffer back to 200ms because that's what worked on push for me before - I thought maybe the information it was trying to buffer was too large to fit in the small buffer? Or it could be the other way around. In any case, I haven't seen the error message again, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed. I need it to be emphasized that the error message made no mention of which buffer was too large.

Reply #6
I've tried buffer size 100, 200, and 50ms. I keep getting the error Buffer too large. I'm using push (checkbox for event unchecked). Am I even setting the right buffer?

I even lowered the maximum file size buffer and that didn't help anything (it used to be 1024MB, but now it's 800MB as seen in the screenshot).

**EDIT**
The error seems to pop up very often after pausing a track when I try to resume it. At this point, exclusive mode is unusable on a Modius until it is fixed. But I understand that this is a beta and still early days - that's what betas are for.

Reply #7

The error seems to pop up very often after pausing a track when I try to resume it. At this point, exclusive mode is unusable on a Modius until it is fixed. But I understand that this is a beta and still early days - that's what betas are for.

If you really need to have exclusive mode output, try ASIO with either the manufacturer's driver or asio4all. I've seen asio4all work when nothing else would.

Reply #8
Try this combination of settings in beta 5 (if you didn't try yet): Use event, Hardware buffer 100, Fading enabled.

Reply #9
The Modius worked perfectly with push mode on the old exclusive mode plugin. If it comes to it, I'd rather just reinstall that and deal with the message nagging me to remove it because it's redundant. But it is a beta after all, and so I'm sure Peter is still working on it.

As for fading - not a chance. I don't like it.

I appreciate the suggestions, though. Thank you!

Reply #10
I'm getting the same "Buffer too large" error using a Chord Qutest DAC.   Have tried buffer set as high as 250 and as low as 10, various attempts in between.   I'll try changing to event tonight and see if it makes any difference.   I don't care for the fading either, if it comes to that I'll just use shared until it gets sorted.

Reply #11
As for fading - not a chance. I don't like it.
What i mean is just enable it, not use: you can check Enable smooth seeking and set all values to 0 ms. When all fading is set to 0 ms, there will be no actual fading.

Reply #12
What i mean is just enable it, not use: you can check Enable smooth seeking and set all values to 0 ms. When all fading is set to 0 ms, there will be no actual fading.
I'll try it. The Modius doesn't play nice with Event Mode though - even with the old plugin it didn't work.

Reply #13
I did as you said, buffer 100ms, enabled smooth seeking with all values at 0ms. Kept Event off because it doesn't work on Modius.

Your solution works! I can reliably reproduce the "Buffer too large" error every time I pause a track using YouTube source, but the error never pops up with smooth seeking on. I don't understand what the connection is - why would it do that?

In any case, thank you very much!

Reply #14
I got the buffer too large error again, with fading on (0 MS).
This time a song was playing when I turned on my monitor. Neither the monitor nor my Modius (the music device) are the system default device.