Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

MP3
[ 381 ] (32.3%)
OGG
[ 293 ] (24.8%)
AAC
[ 67 ] (5.7%)
MPC
[ 349 ] (29.6%)
WMA
[ 9 ] (0.8%)
RM
[ 0 ] (0%)
VQF
[ 6 ] (0.5%)
MP3Pro
[ 9 ] (0.8%)
Lossless
[ 61 ] (5.2%)
Other
[ 5 ] (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 1408

Topic: Which lossy format are you using? (Read 115610 times) previous topic - next topic

Which lossy format are you using?

Reply #100
most files I get are lame VBR/192k mp3s normally
files I encode in high quality: mpc --standard -xlevel
low quality/samples etc: Ogg Vorbis

so all of these 3

Reply #101
I haven't really tried any other formats than MP3, since I think that gives me good enough abilities to create compressed files/music with good sound.

However, it would be interesting to try these other formats out someday. 

Reply #102
Usually Ogg Vorbis (not ogg), and FLAC for archiving.

Reply #103
MP3, since that's all my boombox supports. For my computer, lossless, APE. For the computer, I might as well have lossless since that's what I'll be making CDs from and maybe transcoding from to another format in the future(I wouldn't want to re-rip so many damn albums), and for the player, --alt preset insane, with space to spare on a single CD. I would use Ogg Vorbis or MPC, but I do have a laptop as a computer, and I don't really care if they sound better, since on a laptop there's not going to be a difference with these speakers and nothing works with them     

Reply #104
.mpc all the way, mp3 just can't compare

Reply #105
The thread that will never die!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #106
yup...

the mp3`s on my system.. is mostly P2P..
or encoded for "special delivery".. (portable)

all my archived music.. is MPC
(some "demanding" music.. in AAC..)
where i feel AAC has more to offer
than MPC..

Reply #107
.mpc all the way, mp3 just can't compare

mp3 is most widely supported by hardware players such as:

My cell phone,
cd player,
dvd player,
car,
boom box,
portable cd player,
Sony Clie,

I think it will be quite a while before mpc can compare to mp3.

Reply #108

You are being too optimistc 

Reply #109
Hi,

Currently using MP3, LAME encoder, I had been using -r3mix for my music but am now trying the --alt-preset standard switch after a recommendation on another thread, so far so good. This is still the most supported compression at the moment so what can you say !

Saying that I am now encoding music onto my laptop using Ogg Vorbis at -q4 and I like what I hear so far, just wish they would bring out support for it on my flash player. (iRiver)

Reply #110

You are being too optimistc 

I agree; --alt preset insane MP3 still sounds better coming outta my new boombox, then MPC insane coming outta my laptop computer speakers. Compatibility makes a codec...

Reply #111
MP3 --alt-preset standard %s %d in EAC

Reply #112
Hello!

Was shocked too see there are only 7 members (including me) who are using WMA.
Anyway I am using WMA9 VBR 98% 240kbps ~ 355kbps without copy protection.

McoreD

Reply #113
Don't be shocked.
The people on these forums know the good stuff when they hear it, and this poll reflects the good stuff really clearly.

Lol, mp3, vorbis and mpc form the triumvirate of the best 3 lossy audio formats!
aac is trying its best though

Reply #114
I use MP3 because of four reasons:

--1-- Hardware compatibility
--2-- Hardware compatibility
--3-- Hardware compatibility
--4-- Because Dibrom's a genius   

Before I discovered the world of LAME --alt-presets, my only complaint about the MP3 encoding format was some artifacting and that horribly low default low-pass setting in the FhG codec I was using.  With Dibrom's work, and that of the other people involved with LAME's development/configuration/testing, all the MP3's which I've recently encoded and tested are transparent to my ears.  Even the tough stuff.  "ABX don't lie!"

Anyway, I use --alt-preset insane (with LAME 3.90.3) ONLY because a good percentage of my taste in music encompasses techno, some of which is notoriously hard to encode.  Plus, I enjoy the feeling of "insurance" I get knowing that all of my music is of the highest quality MP3 currently has to offer.  I can accept that some bits are wasted, and I'll do with ~25% less music on my hard drive as long as the music I do have encoded is as close to perfect as possible (for MP3).

Right now I'm using LAME -h for my portable devices (which don't like ABR or VBR), but I'm still trying other formats for them.  Maybe I'll end up using --alt-preset cbr 128, or --alt-preset cbr 128 --lowpass 16, or something like that.

Everything I have done so far has been ripped securely with EAC 0.95prebeta3 for a perfect baseline and gained with MP3Gain 1.4.1/1.2.0 for lossless volume leveling (album mode).  My MP3 encoding front end is most often EAC, and occasionally RazorLame 1.1.5 or dBpowerAmp Music Converter r10beta7.

(Once dMC r10 is out of beta, I'm hoping to use it for even more of my MP3-related tasks.  It's a great product.)

Overall, gotta say I'm thrilled with the results!

---------------------------

P.S...I notice that most people in the poll so far are using MPC.  Not surprising..I've tried it for a few files for comparison...outstanding quality (to my ears, anyway) for medium bitrates.  I'm curious to see what the future holds for hardware compatibility...

Reply #116
Hello!

Was shocked too see there are only 7 members (including me) who are using WMA.
Anyway I am using WMA9 VBR 98% 240kbps ~ 355kbps without copy protection.

McoreD

This topic is really old : twelve monthes. One year ago, wma was limited to 192 kbps, and in CBR only. Quality wasn't acceptable, especially when compared to --alt-preset standard.
WMA9 is more interesting now : quality improving, VBR, ABR (2 pass), PRO mode, bitrate > 192 kbps.

Reply #117
Mp3.
It's just enough good for my ears:)
And it's fully supported by every audio software.

Hey Pri3st, I like you avatar!

I'm to using MP3 still, but feel that I might switch format soon. And it will probably be to AAC.

Reply #118
I use Ogg Vorbis GT3b1 at -q5 to rip my albums.

Reply #119
That's so hard to say.....Why do I use MPC more than the others? B)

Reply #120
At first I ripped at alt preset standard, then I stepped up to extreme and then I went on to insane.

I did a recent rip into MPC Insane and compared it to my MP3 insane rip, the MPC files sound better to me, they seem to carry more precision and enable you to hear the individual instruments clearer (especially drums).

Oh and ofcourse the MPC Insane file size is quite a bit smaller than the MP3 Insane file size :].

Reply #121
I'm so glad to see that after 824 votes no one is using Real Media.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #122
At first I ripped at alt preset standard, then I stepped up to extreme and then I went on to insane.

I did a recent rip into MPC Insane and compared it to my MP3 insane rip, the MPC files sound better to me, they seem to carry more precision and enable you to hear the individual instruments clearer (especially drums).

Oh and ofcourse the MPC Insane file size is quite a bit smaller than the MP3 Insane file size :].

Dude, i'm getting sick of telling people to read the forum rules. Don't spew that stuff unless you are going to back it up with ABX results. If you can honestly tell the difference between MPC insane and MP3 insane, then we need to take your ears for auditory research.

Reply #123
I'm using MP3 at the moment, but I'm switching to MPC @ standard
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #124
I was ripping all my cd's to mpc xtreme until I got an mp3 player, now I've gone back to using mp3 (lame --alt-preset standard).

Transparency is transparency whichever format you're using, and I've never been able to hear any difference between mpc xtreme (or standard for that matter) and lame --alt-preset standard.

I decided to use mpc because the general consensus is that mpc is the best option for high bitrates, and we all want what we think is the best, even if our ears can't differentiate, but now that portability is a factor, mp3 has the edge again.