Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a way to have a phono input on Sound Blaster X-Fi external RC (Read 12021 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a way to have a phono input on Sound Blaster X-Fi external RC

Hello,

I only have one vynil that I would like to record in .wav format.
I would like to do it in an optimal quality, well, as optimal as I can.

Here's the material I have:
- Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (or maybe another Creative X-Fi soundcard ...) (recent)
- Sony MHC-1700 component (to get phono input) (1992)
- Sony PS-LX150H turntable (1993)

But I'm wondering if there is any way to turn the "2nd auxilliary" RCA connectors into phono input ? I think it is possible on some Creative Labs cards, but I don't know about mind.
So I could connect the turntable directly to the computer.

Thank you for your answers.

PS : If I connect the turntable to the computer right now, if I amplify the record with the software, it sounds like something that could be ok, but it sounds like it has a lot more high frequencies and less bass frequency that if the sound passes through the 'Sony MHC-1700 component' ... but I suppose it's not how the original sound is suppose to sound and that the line input is not fully compatible with the phono input in terms of frequency. Am I right ?

Reply #1
but it sounds like it has a lot more high frequencies and less bass frequency that if the sound passes through the 'Sony MHC-1700 component'

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...AA_equalization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization
Digital audio editors often feature the ability to equalize audio samples using standard and custom equalization curves, removing the need for a dedicated hardware preamplifier when capturing audio with a computer. However, this can add an extra step in processing a sample, and may amplify audio quality issues of the sound card being used to capture the signal.

Reply #2
If that thing has a "tape out", you can run tape-out into your soundcard's line-in (or aux-in), and the MCH-1700 will take care of the amplification and RIAA equalization.

If not, here is a post with links to some software.  If you choose to do it this way, connect the turntable to the soundcard's mic input, and equalize after recording (unless you happen to find special software that records and equalizes at the same time).

Or, you can get a phono preamp (example).  If you use a phono preamp, conect to line-in or aux-in.

Reply #3
If that thing has a "tape out", you can run tape-out into your soundcard's line-in (or aux-in), and the MCH-1700 will take care of the amplification and RIAA equalization.

That is what I'm doing currently, but I was wondering if it was ok to use this "rather old" device to take care of the phono adaptation, or if there were ways to get a better results without it.

Reply #4
but I was wondering if it was ok to use this "rather old" device to take care of the phono adaptation, or if there were ways to get a better results without it.
  You should be OK.  As far as I know, there have been no "major breakthroughs" in solid state analog electronics over the past 30 or 40 years.  It's probably easier & cheaper to build a good phono preamp today, but a newer preamp might not be any better.

I assume the record is old too?  And, perhaps in less-than-perfect condition?  Even with a record in perfect condition, and the best analog equipment...  It's still analog and you're never going to get "CD quality".  (Some people prefer "analog sound" and/or "vinyl sound"... not me!)

And, I can't really predict if your soundcard's microphone preamp is any better than the Sony.  Of course, you can try the microphone input with digital RIAA equalization software and compare for yourself.  (The microphone input probably has the "wrong" impedance for a phono cartridge, but that shouldn't stop you from trying if you are so inclined.)

The biggest issue with a phono preamp is likely to be noise (hum & hiss).  But, you're going to get some hum & hiss with any preamp, and you can't tell if a newer/better preamp is actually any better 'till you buy & try it...  I'd just recommend trying some digital noise reduction after recording/digitizing.  The vinyl noise (especially "ticks" and 'pops", and sometimes hiss) will far-exceed any preamp noise anyway. 

Any frequency response issues or distortion issues are more-likely caused by the phono cartridge, or by the record itself, which is usually the weakest link!  Frequency response problems can be corrected (or at least improved), but distortion is pretty-much impossible to fix.

Reply #5
Sorry I was not following the thread and I had not seen your post yet.

The vynil is old (1983) but has been kept in mint condition.

In the end I've used the Sony deviceas phono preamp and kept what I've record in .wav format.
Then I removed the ticks and clicks with the Audacity function and I kept a second .wav version out of it.

Reply #6

That is what I'm doing currently, but I was wondering if it was ok to use this "rather old" device to take care of the phono adaptation, or if there were ways to get a better results without it.

Old equipment is what it is. IME it needs to be tested on the bench every few years to make sure that it hasn't failed in some way.  For example, some friends of mine and I were recently given free choice of anyting and everything in a storeroom that went back about 20 years and held unwanted equipment after it had been reviewed. We filled a minivan up to the windows, and filled a one-axle U-Haul up to the roof with loose equipment and equipment in boxes. We're now going through it. A goodly fraction of it won't even power up. Some of it that powers up won't play, and some of what plays won't play well.

So far the most potentially valuable piece is one of these:

http://www.thresholdlovers.com/articles.ph...g=en&pg=394

Which we've listed on Audiogon.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?amp...mp;3&4&

I did the bench tests on this one, and it is really quite a thing to see, listen to, and measure.

The point is that in many audio product categories, just being old is not necesssarily a problem. But it may be. If it sounds good, its probably not too bad.