Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 10 PC immediately wakes after entering sleep (Read 1272 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 10 PC immediately wakes after entering sleep

To try to explain this with rhyme or reason seems to not be in the cards right now, so I'll make it brief. The command powercfg /requests will tell me when fb2k is playing, and indeed it will disappear under the [PROCESS] heading under SYSTEM: when it's stopped, however even when it's stopped, the computer will not go to sleep without instant wake-up. Only closing fb2k will let it sleep. I've been using fb2k for a long time and only this week switched to Windows 10, and I have my output modified by Peace.

Re: Windows 10 PC immediately wakes after entering sleep

Reply #2
The power request you see only prevents the machine from automatically entering standby mode while music is playing. It won't prevent you from manually putting the machine to sleep. And power requests preventing automatic sleep don't cause the machine to wake up.

foobar2000 on its own will not wake the machine from standby. Only component I know that should be able to do it is https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_scheduler.

Does powercfg /lastwake give any useful information about the wake up cause?

If not, I'd start testing what in your setup causes the behavior. I'd begin by testing the behavior with clean portable install.

Reply #3
I kinda regret making this with such gusto, because ever since I tried seeing if it was on VLC too, it just wakes every time VLC or not.

The power request you see only prevents the machine from automatically entering standby mode while music is playing. It won't prevent you from manually putting the machine to sleep. And power requests preventing automatic sleep don't cause the machine to wake up.

foobar2000 on its own will not wake the machine from standby. Only component I know that should be able to do it is https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_scheduler.

Does powercfg /lastwake give any useful information about the wake up cause?

If not, I'd start testing what in your setup causes the behavior. I'd begin by testing the behavior with clean portable install.
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 0

There is a powercfg switch that allows you to exclude items that are preventing sleep:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options#option_requestsoverride

The Kernel one is the only one that comes up [at the time of writing], then it disappears on its own and I tried overriding it but it didn't work. I had problems in the past with sleep never working, except it was I believe my network driver that time. I probably just have to find the driver again specifically for this system, because I assume all OS's have specific quirks in relation to their drivers. I am guessing it's my realtek audio this time (which only 1 driver works with my motherboard) on top of another drier which just started acting up. Just throwing it out there though. https://www.elevenforum.com/t/audio-keeps-computer-from-sleeping-solved.4805/

Edit: Had a one-off sleep after doing powercfg /requestsoverride process MoUsoCoreWorker.exe execution. Then opened fb2k/something triggered something that closing fb2k would not change it. In the beginning post I opened and closed fb2k twice to confirm. All media forms will have an impact though, not trying to be harsh on fb2k. For someone that doesn't have a SSD though, hard restarts would be hard to get used to.

Reply #4
I am showing what my progress is in terms of overrides. I tried a sleep with the realtek uninstalled completely to no avail.

Code: [Select]
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_1458A022&REV_1000\4&35a89e12&0&0201)
An audio stream is currently in use.
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
foobar2000 audio playback
[Stopped fb2k at this point]
AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe
USO Worker

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
USO Worker

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
USO Worker

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
USO Worker

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsoverride
[SERVICE]

[PROCESS]
MoUsoCoreWorker.exe EXECUTION

[DRIVER]
Legacy Kernel Caller SYSTEM

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
[Tried sleep unsuccessfully at this point]

Reply #5
So I solved my problem with instant wake-up. Here is what I can gather. The sleep problem subsided after I removed one of my keyboards and replugged it in on my computers USB ports, not my USB 3.0 hub ports. Voltage seems to build up more in my system, as when I plug in my main monitor sometimes vibration of electrolytic capacitors due to high frequency is heard & in the past a phone earbuds WIP that had a severed earbud but that I was still using the passive microphone from it had to keep being discharged. I imagine when I kept opening and closing fb2k, this was a multimedia level task, which crossed a power level threshold on Windows 10 as opposed to Windows 7. I don't blame fb2k as it's just a symptom, not a cause. That's why either my devices (powercfg /devicequery wake_armed) or system software (powercfg /requests) would not help me and the event was simply:
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: [redacted by balloonguy]
Wake Time: [redacted by balloonguy

Wake Source: Unknown

foobar2000 on its own will not wake the machine from standby.
You are right.

Hope that helps, however will be reporting my thread because it's sensational in retrospect.

Reply #6
however will be reporting my thread because it's sensational in retrospect.
It could be useful information to somebody.  Just edit the title (first post) to more accurately portray the content.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #7
Yeah, the thread as a whole is pretty tame except for its head of the OP and the title. Mods are the only ones that can change it though and I wrote that wondering what they might change it to, like "The surprise mechanics of Windows 10 troubleshooted by fb2k". And also, it should be move to Off-Topic bc as far as symptoms go as a troubleshooting instrument it's beneficial to be a symptom.

Reply #8
Great. This being met humorously compared to this shows the pioneering going on here.