Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert with "stream copy only" option ? (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert with "stream copy only" option ?

Source:
.cue with tracklist and .mp3 with audio. Plays fine.

I want to extract the tracks I want and then kill the rest since it is a waste of space.

But convert only offers me to actually convert to a different format.
Did I miss the option to make it only do a stream copy of one title or does it not exist?
If it does not exist I'd like to make this a feature request...

Reply #1
No, foobar2000 cannot split files without decoding and re-encoding.

A hypothetical ability to do so is a nice thought, but unless it is to be limited to one or a few formats, this feature is probably too complex and beyond the scope of foobar2000 or any other player (because that’s what fb2k ultimately is, despite its many additional features) for it to be worthwhile. To implement lossless splitting of different formats via one interface would be a headache for a programmer, I imagine, and would be a major distraction from the real intention of the project. Even supporting only MP3 might be something that wouldn’t make it onto a list of priorities.

But all is not lost, because you can losslessly split MP3 files, in various ways including via a cuesheet, using mp3splt or pcutmp3.

Reply #2
Thank for the hint, mp3splt works.
Not a tool for beginners *g*, but it works for me and does a nice job.