Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Would it be possible to include an option to flip the oscilloscope wav (Read 2996 times) previous topic - next topic

Would it be possible to include an option to flip the oscilloscope wav

Depending on what audio programs you use, waveforms can shown in one of 2 ways, like mirror images. A waveform that is shown spiking up in one audio program will show a spike down when played in foobar2000.

Could an simple option be added to the oscilloscope right click menu to flip the waveform? I think it would be quite useful. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how difficult this would be to code, but I hope it's not that hard. Simple mockup below. Thanks for reading this.

Reply #1
but why?

Reply #2
but why?

For consistency. Like I said, when you use different programs you see a different waveform. I know that Audacity, Cakewalk Sonar, and Izotope products all show the "flipped" waveform with the spike going up. If you work in those (or many other products that show the spike going up), you get used to seeing it that way, then it looks odd for Foobar to show it upside down. It would be nice to have an option so foobar can match, if it isn't too hard to do. UPDATE: I did some digging, and this is specificially related to polarity. Seems that foobar2000 has inverse/reversed polarity. The spike going up is the more mainstream/"correct" polarity that programs display.

Reply #3
So I'm assuming this will never happen. But, do you have any ideas of how hard/complex this would be to code? I can't code, but maybe I could ask somebody to do it or such. Not sure where or if anybody would actually do it, but I'm wondering what is really involved in a flip option.

Reply #4
So I was just updating Foobar to v1.1.7 and I saw the note "Fixed oscilloscope inversion bug" in the changelog. I was like, "Could that be refering this topic? No... but it sounds so similar!" And it was! Now the oscilloscope displays waveforms with the "up" first! Wow. I never expected anything to change.

Thank you A TON to whoever read this topic and took the time to implement it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If there is any mod here or such I guess you can mark this topic as solved/completed or change the subject line.

Reply #5
I'm sure we're all glad that you're happy, but I'm a little curious why you're that happy.

Reply #6
I'm sure we're all glad that you're happy, but I'm a little curious why you're that happy.

lol it's not all about the feature. It's that one of my ideas was implemented for once and I didn't expect it. I live in a house where nobody listens to me so most of the stuff I say falls on deaf ears or they fight me on it. Just suggesting my Dad to use Wifi for was a fiasco. Anytime I suggest something really.

Reply #7
HA is more than a resoure: it's a force for personal growth.