Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar on linux ? (Read 162776 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar on linux ?

as i'm dev a new player for *nix/linux/*bsd... call LAMIP, that aim to be a remplacement for xmms, some people says that there would like to have foobar on  linux. As my soft is a plugin based software (also for the GUI) i would like to know if foobar need a linux port or not..
if yes i could help to do this

(the cmd line work but i wait the gui finished to let people DL it! )

foobar on linux ?

Reply #1
yeah
We'are longing for that.
And about your new player, does it support DSP (SSRC etc.)?
Thank you.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #2
yeah, another one of my favorite pieces of software which i might continue to use if I switch to linux... btw any reccomendations about what distribution to use??? I'm thinkin'bout suse now, cuz I dont know much bout linux and dont want to spend alot time in working at it.
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

foobar on linux ?

Reply #3
I'm glad to see someone even trying to get good player software for Linux. (off topic: Mandrake is very easy for newbie and Debian team is developing some desktop project, witch won't be ready for long time...)

foobar on linux ?

Reply #4
Indeed Mandrake is probably one of the most user friendly versions ive used due to its nice Drake Wizards and it certainly looks nice. I use Mandrake 9 at work on one of my shop machines and Gentoo at home. You might want to give Gentoo a look atleast. Although it is in the strictest terms a Linux from scratch distro it is actually very user friendly. It has a very indepth installation guide and FAQs for just about anything you want to do. It has been my experience that Gentoo keeps their portage tree far more up to date than most package management systems on other distros. KDE 3.1 was available almost immediately after its release but still no where to be seen in Mandrake's rpm drake. Had to install it manually  which was error prone and tedious. Ive heard wonderful things about SUSE as well though ive never used it.

ciber_fred: Have you discussed this with Peter yet? Hes gonna be the one that has final say on the matter. Btw, i havent looked around but has he made any sort of official statement on his position for a linux port? Does he even care? Id hate to get anyone's hopes up over more vaporware.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #5
If I remember correct than at the beginning there even wasn't a version for Win9x planned... what do you now think about linux support for foobar2000    ? But maybe something can be done about this if you get the sources...  (w00t) ?

P.S. you can add me to the list of customers and testers for a linux version of foobar2k.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #6
I'd suggest to use Redhat distro. Mandrake seemed too buggy to me, especially user management
And yes, it would be excellent to see fb on linux!
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

foobar on linux ?

Reply #7
I use Redhat too.
btw: Redhat 8.1 beta3 is really very nice, as well as stable.
Linux will surely be a preferrable choice than Windows for most people someday.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #8
Yeah... I would be glad to see fb2k for Linux
You can plan me as a beta tester

foobar on linux ?

Reply #9
As I think that Peter uses Visual C++ for foobar, it won't be easy to port it to any other platform than win32. We have a similar situation with eMule, the Microsoft classes are just too sweet to not use them :/
Anyway good luck if you go for it.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #10
I suggest Mandrake 9.0 (9.1 is for soon) as a Linux distrib for starting.
I'd also like to see a foobar2000 linux port.
If you need testers, I'll be there.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #11
Anyone thought about trying WINE, referably wit the 98 version of Foobar first?

May not work at all, but perhaps someone could try it. I personally don't use Foobar except on my dad's PC very rarely so im not gonna test it, just a though for you guys and gals thought!

Cheers,

Kristian

foobar on linux ?

Reply #12
hum if the code source is not too bad and all things are separate, the port is not to hard to do... but if the sofware use MFC largely it's could be difficult yes

also  i don't have answers from peter.. maybe in this thread

foobar on linux ?

Reply #13
I've tried it with WINE, and it works okay.  I can't access any of the preferences though, the font is messed up.  It may be my config file, I'm just using whatever winesetup spit out.  I'll play around with it a bit more and see what I can do.

Tim

foobar on linux ?

Reply #14
replacing the MS Visual C++ stuff with something like wxWindows might be another alternative.. It is cross platform.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #15
fb2k is reported to be working with wine here

Ive experimented with it myself and ive gotten it to load but the font is all fubared in the the preferences. Also i cant get the playback to work but i suspect it has to do with a broken alsa implementation on my soundcard and not with fb or wine.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #16
yeah, another one of my favorite pieces of software which i might continue to use if I switch to linux... btw any reccomendations about what distribution to use??? I'm thinkin'bout suse now, cuz I dont know much bout linux and dont want to spend alot time in working at it.

I find it odd that no one has mentioned commercial distros yet, despite the fact that you stated that you were considering SuSE... If you want something cheap (read: free), then Mandrake is probably the way to go. It is reputedly the most newbie friendly distro out there, though when I tried 8.1, it couldn't detect jack shite on my computer and I ended up dumping it in less than a week. Personally, I could not live without ap-get (oh the horrors I found trying to install rpms...), so I'm going to have to suggest a Debian based distro. Libranet is fairly straight forward, and I've never had any problems with it (yes, running KDE 3.1; no, I did not compile it), and it costs students $35 (you gotta burn it yourself, but who cares?). For those migrating from Windows (like yourself), Xandros is absolutely excellent, though on the pricey side. It was actually a deal for me, though, since I have a newish Radeon card and absolutely needed MS office compatibility (yes, I tried OpenOffice.org, but it barfed rendering the documents and pretty comments crappily. Also, Impress is most definitely not impressive at all.). Xandros is also the only distro with which I have been able to get anything to print from incidentally... This is probably due in large part to my ineptness, but all I care about is that it works and I didn't have to do anything to get it there. I should note that 1) compiling everything from source is not my idea of fun; apt-get is slow enough for me, thankyouverymuch, and 2) popular opinion is that you should wait for the next versions of both to come out before making puchases (i.e. Xandros is still somewhat beta-ware and libranet 2.7 will be free when 2.8 comes out [next month says the grapevine, but apparently it's been like that since december]).

As for foobar2k on linux, that would be wonderful. I tried running it under crossover wine (since wine itself is apparently not installed on this computer yet...) and most of the functions were totally crapped. I want something that runs mpcs without crashing, dammit!!

foobar on linux ?

Reply #17
I want something that runs mpcs without crashing, dammit!!

XMMS?

foobar on linux ?

Reply #18
non LAMIP

foobar on linux ?

Reply #19
tiku has started a excelent porting of eMule for linux: lmule.

http://lmule.sf.net

he uses wxwindows... is possible to make the same for foobar2000 ?

i'm not so skilled yet to porting it..

saluddoss

sha

(excuse my poor english  )

foobar on linux ?

Reply #20
'bout the linuxdistro: I went for Knoppix... crazy no-one mentioned it! I tried ark-linux, red hat, mandrake, suse, and another 2 or 3 distro's. then downloaded and burned a knoppix-cd - damnit! how cool it is to have a full running operationgsystem, live on a CD! and when you install it, its a full-featured Debian distro. So I have apt-get ;-)

'bout e-mule - there is Xmule for linux (which is actually better than emule for winblows - faster, more stable etc). and there is MLdonkey, which is an multi-network client, which supports:
#  eDonkey (uses eMule extensions, recognizes MLdonkey, eDonkey, eMule, lMule and Shareaza)
# Overnet
# BitTorrent
# Gnutella/Gnutella2
# FastTrack (Kazaa)
# Soulseek
# DirectConnect
There is a win32 version too (hint )
And there are also several gui's for KDE and Gnome.

and the final point: music for linux.
I'd love to have something else as XMMS, so foobar or lamip whould be nice. if ppl are needed for testing??? I'm in!
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

foobar on linux ?

Reply #21
Yuo spoony topic bumpar.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #22
LFS is the way to go for an installation that you plan to keep around for a long time.  It's just the thing to do.

Optimizations + zero bloat + a program-by-program, file-by-file understanding of your own system.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #23
Why dont you guys make your own linux port? Im almost 100% certain that foobar is liscenced under the gnu liscence which means it comes with the source code (in the sdk) and since it is under gnu you can legally edit the code and release your own future versions in linux. In another post peter said he would have to divorced the core from the gui, which is why he has no plans to port to linux, because thats alot of work. Well why dont one of you guys do it? Just a thought.

foobar on linux ?

Reply #24
Nope, it's not.