Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is it possible to detect mp3 sourced CDs? (Read 29752 times) previous topic - next topic

is it possible to detect mp3 sourced CDs?

Reply #25
The frequency analysis is also an accurate way of telling if a CD is mp3 sourced: any original disc always reaches fully 22050Hz without cutting the 20+Khz area.

That's absolutely not true, I have a couple of original CDs from the early 80's that are lowpassed at 18KHz, for example (Dio - Holy Diver and The Last in Line)

Nevertheless, on most mp3 based files you might note a clear line at 16KHz, and not a lot of content above it.

Reply #26
Nevertheless, on most mp3 based files you might note a clear line at 16KHz, and not a lot of content above it.

This is not exactly true, though. I have original CD's that have no frequencies higher than 16 kHz…for instance, some songs of the "Bloodhound Gang", but also newer peaces!
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #27
A good realtime spectrascope is an easy way to tell (baudline is good on linux,
there are probably plenty of winamp vis plugins for this).

MP3 has a very "steppy" frequency response due to freq-domain quantization,
and it is very easy to tell visually when PCM has been through an mp3 encoder.

Cheers,
Martin

Reply #28
Another thing to consider: if a show was recorded with a DAT at 32khz, the frequencies will cut off at 16.  So a cut at 16khz isn't always a 100% reliable clue.

Reply #29
Sorry to bounce an ancient thread, but...

Is just my imagination, or was the some time ago (perhaps a year or so?) a software introduced on this site which was used to analyze audio/cd content and "guess" if the audio has been lossly compressed at some point of production?

I have this feeling that I saw this kind of program some time ago, but I am now unable to find it. The search terms just don't cut it:" mp3, lossy, compression, etc.".

Anyone recall this one? I want to wipe clean my CD-R collection of lossy stuff.

Reply #30
Sorry to bounce an ancient thread, but...

Is just my imagination, or was the some time ago (perhaps a year or so?) a software introduced on this site which was used to analyze audio/cd content and "guess" if the audio has been lossly compressed at some point of production?

I have this feeling that I saw this kind of program some time ago, but I am now unable to find it. The search terms just don't cut it:" mp3, lossy, compression, etc.".

Anyone recall this one? I want to wipe clean my CD-R collection of lossy stuff.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure. It's [a href="http://www.true-audio.com/]auCDtect (command line, freeware)/Tau Analyzer (shareware, GUI-based)[/url].

- M.

Reply #31
I want to wipe clean my CD-R collection of lossy stuff.
Sure. It's auCDtect (command line, freeware)/Tau Analyzer (shareware, GUI-based).
auCDtect seems to be a great program, but (just so you know) I found three factory-pressed CDs that auCDtect reported as possibly being MPEG.  So be careful; it's not 100% accurate.

Here's the link to my findings:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=269169