Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_sendtopod (Read 7620 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_sendtopod

The sequel to foo_addtopod.
Note that this is ultra-pre-alpha 

It lacks some settings dialogs etc, so i'll outline what it does.
Select files->Send to iPod in context menu. Files get added to queue window (if its not open it pops up).
Closing this window aborts the operation, however, please note that when the "foo_sendtopod is cleaning up" message is displayed, it is still possible to close foobar. DO NOT CLOSE FOOBAR TILL ITS GONE. I plan to rectify this when/if I find a nice way to do so.
In the queue, it decides what to do with the files. If its extension mp3 or m4a, it gets copied straight to the iPod and tagged as below.
Otherwise, it gets decoded to a temporary .wav (automatically deleted afterwards) and it tells iTunes to encode them using your iTunes import settings.

They will then be copied to the iPod and updated using information from the from the foobar database.

Note iTunes (4.9 or later?? I've only testd 6.01) must be open while doing this, but please don't fiddle with iTunes while foo_sendtopod is working.

The dialog shows you the status of each file,
Decoding means the .wav is being written, Encoding means it is being encoded with iTunes, Transferring means it is being copied to the iPod. Note that when iTunes finishes copying, it will take a while for the statuses to change to Complete. This is because foo_sendtopod is tagging the files which is slow, as it requires accessing the database file on the iPod. Do not fiddle with iTunes during this time.

Long story short; minimize iTunes, don't touch it. Don't close foobar while the "foo_sendtopod is cleaning up" message is displayed (this takes a few seconds, simply because iTunes is sluggish).

You can continue using foobar while its running, and if you send more files to the iPod before it is complete, they will be queued.

This is very alpha, I plan to add some settings (on how to decide when to transcode etc, what tags to apply.)

The tags that are applied are ARTIST, ALBUM, TITLE, TRACKNUMBER, DISCNUMBER, GENRE

Uninstall foo_addtopod and foo_pod before installing (if you've been using foo_pod you'll probably find iTunes can no longer read your iPod's database.

foo_sendtopod

Reply #1
Looks like a good plugin for transcoding if some uses losless other than alac.
Too bad it's dependant on iTunes being open... Good work! 

foo_sendtopod

Reply #2
Hi there,

Just to check, does this plugin support the import of RG values into iTunes?

I'm a foo_pod user, but it seems very tough to maintain and sync the iPod DB from foo_pod to my PC..

foo_sendtopod

Reply #3
Hi there,

I'm a foo_pod user, but it seems very tough to maintain and sync the iPod DB from foo_pod to my PC..
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363175"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, it doesnt. AFAIK the only way to do this is to edit the iTunesDB directly which isnt a good idea. There is a discussion about this buried in the foo_pod thread somewhere. You can however use iTunes's soundcheck (which is only per track). I personally turn sound check on for shuffle, and turn it off when I want to listen to albums. The reason I'm no longer working on this is because it should all become moot with the developments in the rockbox iPod port.

foo_sendtopod

Reply #4
Hi there,

Sorry, it doesnt. AFAIK the only way to do this is to edit the iTunesDB directly which isnt a good idea. There is a discussion about this buried in the foo_pod thread somewhere. You can however use iTunes's soundcheck (which is only per track). I personally turn sound check on for shuffle, and turn it off when I want to listen to albums. The reason I'm no longer working on this is because it should all become moot with the developments in the rockbox iPod port.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363179"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How does this differ from foo_pod? I'm really not trying to be rude at all, I'm just ignorant.

foo_sendtopod

Reply #5
Hi there,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363179"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How does this differ from foo_pod? I'm really not trying to be rude at all, I'm just ignorant.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370110"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It differs in many ways, most importantly, it uses iTunes to do all the iPod stuff, and encoding, and secondly it has nowhere near as many features.
However it does support transcoding cuesheets, the lack of support for this in foo_pod makes foo_pod almost entirely useless to me.

foo_sendtopod

Reply #6
Any chance this will be updated for foobar0.9?

foo_sendtopod

Reply #7
Any chance this will be updated for foobar0.9?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376958"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Someone other than me actually uses this? wow. Well I wasn't planning to since I still use 0.8.3 myself, but the time is probably right to make the switch to 0.9, it shouldn't be too hard to port, but I guess I should fix all the bugs at the same time .

BTW, rockbox works very well but the battery life issue means its still gotta be the apple firmware for everyday use.