Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 781205 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #550
I'm posting today because there is one important missing feature though: there is no caching of images therefore it takes too long when opening Facets. It is really annoying with big libraries. Don't you think the same ?

The topic of image caching has come up several times. It doesn't seem likely that Facets will ever have that feature.

My solution was to put all of my cover images into a folder on my SSD. The difference is night and day.

Thanks for the tip!
It requires to rethink my naming approach (of the covers) but why not !

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #551
Thanks for the tip!

It's not that complicated. The filenames need to be unique. You may decide differently, but I've renamed all of my covers to %artist% - %album%.

In File > Preferences > Display > Album art you need to insert the path in "Search Patterns." An example:
c:\music\art\%album artist% - %album%.*

I use %album artist% in case that field is Various Artists, and if empty, Foobar uses %artist%.

The actual string I use (among others) is:
c:\music\art\$replace($if(%collection%,%artist%,%album artist%) - %album%,/,_,\,-,|,-,:,-,*,x,",-,?,_,<,_,>,_).*

The $replace function substitutes illegal filename characters with legal ones. You may decide on different substitutions.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #552
c:\music\art\$replace($if(%collection%,%artist%,%album artist%) - %album%,/,_,\,-,|,-,:,-,*,x,",-,?,_,<,_,>,_).*

The $replace function substitutes illegal filename characters with legal ones. You may decide on different substitutions.

1) Oops, %collection% is a custom tag. I meant to edit it out and give you this example:
c:\music\art\$replace(%album artist% - %album%,/,_,\,-,|,-,:,-,*,x,",-,?,_,<,_,>,_).*

2) In case it's not clear, I should mention that you need to make the same substitutions in the cover filename.

Say a band called The Radios had an album called 'Greatest Hits: Volume 2'
In my example, I replace the illegal ':' with  the legal character '-'
Consequently, the cover image needs to be named:
The Radios - Greatest Hits- Volume 2.jpg

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #553
DustMagnet, I forgot to thank you for all the help!
It works nice and indeed faster thanks to the SSD.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #554
[I was looking at the Facets Documentation and this may not be specific to Facets...]

There may be many entries for one artist in the artist pane. Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Springsteen/Tom Morello and so on [for example]. My issue with this is this: If I click on one artist entry and then click on an album entry for that artist, not all of the tracks might be listed for that album. Of course, you can always browse in album view to get all the tracks displayed for that album.

What are options to be able to access all tracks of an album when going through the artist view and then the album view? Does this mean I have to rewrite a bunch of artist tags to avoid this issue?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #555
[I was looking at the Facets Documentation and this may not be specific to Facets...]

There may be many entries for one artist in the artist pane. Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Springsteen/Tom Morello and so on [for example]. My issue with this is this: If I click on one artist entry and then click on an album entry for that artist, not all of the tracks might be listed for that album. Of course, you can always browse in album view to get all the tracks displayed for that album.

What are options to be able to access all tracks of an album when going through the artist view and then the album view? Does this mean I have to rewrite a bunch of artist tags to avoid this issue?

Set "album artist" tag "Bruce Springsteen" for all songs and set facets column to "album artist" rather than just "artist"

from title formatting help :  %album artist% is intended for use where consistent value across entire album is needed even when per-track artists values vary.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #556
@maxim7191
I see your point. Before you responded, I had edited the %artist% tags [in my example above for "High Hopes"] so that the artist tag value for "Bruce Springsteen" was that and just that. i.e No "Bruce Springsteen/Tom Morello", etc.
But, I don't see why the artist tag value can't be different for different tracks and as long the beginning of the string is "Bruce Springsteen", you can choose that artist in the artist pane and get a full selection of tracks for that album when it is selected in that view?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #557
Actually, the proper method (ie intended by programmers) is to do as maxim7191 suggested -- set Springsteen as "album artist" -- AND set Artist Name for the appropriate tracks to Bruce Springsteen; Tom Morello. (Note the semicolon to indicate 2 artists.)

Now, you still won't get what you want, as I understand it. There will be an entry for Bruce Springsteen, which will show all tracks. And there will be an artist entry for Tom Morello, which will show the tracks he's on. IMO this is perfectly logical.

One way to *almost* get what you want is to install foo_quicksearch. You can right-click any track and search for same album/artist/etc.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #558
Actually, the proper method (ie intended by programmers) is to do as maxim7191 suggested -- set Springsteen as "album artist" -- AND set Artist Name for the appropriate tracks to Bruce Springsteen; Tom Morello. (Note the semicolon to indicate 2 artists.)

Now, you still won't get what you want, as I understand it. There will be an entry for Bruce Springsteen, which will show all tracks. And there will be an artist entry for Tom Morello, which will show the tracks he's on. IMO this is perfectly logical.

One way to *almost* get what you want is to install foo_quicksearch. You can right-click any track and search for same album/artist/etc.

I have an iPod and am using foo_dop to sync my collection to it. So, whatever I do in Foobar I want to be able to duplicate [as closely as possible] on it. Actually, I may not have explained myself that well. I do want the entry for Bruce and be able to access ALL tracks for any album he has a part in, as well as be able to access Morello and any tracks he has a part in. I did not know about the ";" separator between the two artists? Maybe this is what I was missing? This allows you to have two [or more?] artist names and be able to find them in the artist column and then access all albums in each artist view AND all tracks in those albums?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #559
Ability to set custom Search bar focus hotkey

+1 as it's the only thing that really slows me down. This feature is not even found in ANY other player for that matter. As of now there are hotkeys to open up a dialog window to search whether it'll be for playlist view or entire library. I just want a hotkey to 'FOCUS' into the facet search bar as it is my entire library without any pop up windows.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #560
Hi ! I try to use cache for facets and i have some problems can someone help me
i have a large library on a second hdd drive and use facets to manage all album and works very fine, but it takes long time for facets to show album art

So i want to cache album art files so (not really cache as the files will be on a ssd drive and not load on memory):
- i have put all my covers in one folder and rename them with "artist - album" in my general drive (ssd)
- in album art i force foobar to use these covers and it work and with facets too  (  C:\covers\$directory(%path%).jpg  )
- but the problem is that facets scans the embed artwork TOO  (on all mp3 files i can show activity on my library drive)
- in foobar : option/advanced i checked prefer external

i want to know if there is a way to facets for non-scaning mp3 files when the album art is loading

Thanks

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #561
Thanks for the tip!

It's not that complicated. The filenames need to be unique. You may decide differently, but I've renamed all of my covers to %artist% - %album%.

In File > Preferences > Display > Album art you need to insert the path in "Search Patterns." An example:
c:\music\art\%album artist% - %album%.*

I use %album artist% in case that field is Various Artists, and if empty, Foobar uses %artist%.

Thank you for this! Done everything as you suggested. All my covers on my ssd now. But for me $replace() method only works with question mark"?", not with ":" and "/" symbols in album name. What could be the problem?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #562
I assume you are entering your replace function in the preferences\display\album art search pattern. You shouldn't need to enter a replace function there (unless you are doing something not covered by the rules below). Try using : c:\music\art\$if(%collection%,%artist%,%album artist%) - %album%.*

This is because I believe the art reader does automatic illegal character replacements before looking for the file according to the following hard-coded scheme.

/ \ |: get replaced by a -,
* gets replaced by x,
" gets replaced with '',
? < > get replaced by an _.

Therefore it's best to use this scheme when naming the files.

Note: I struggled to find documentation to confirm the above & hope it is correct. It's working for me e.g. the pattern c:\music\art\%artist%.png finds the file c:\music\art\xNSYNC.png when the artist is *NSYNC

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #563
Is it possible to have a column that returns "10 tracks (35:08)" sort of output? I'm basically looking for a way to incorporate the info that 'Duration' column gives with something else.

I tried stuff like
Code: [Select]
%totaltracks% tracks '('%duration%')'

but I get a question mark where %duration% is - seems that it's a non-implemented variable. If I go with something like
%totaltracks% tracks '('%length%')'
then the whole album gets split into tracks (it fetches %length% for each individual track).

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #564
No, this is not possible. You can however enable multiple statistics, for example "Duration" and "Items".

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #565
a component called EsPlaylist has its own special "group" title formatting that does that kind of thing but unlike facets, it doesn't support linked panes.

for the above i use...

%es_subgroup_count% track$ifgreater(%es_subgroup_count%,1,s,). %es_subgroup_length%

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #566
No, this is not possible. You can however enable multiple statistics, for example "Duration" and "Items".

Yeah, I know that, but this way, there are wasted rows when using "Album art (right labels)" and even more so when going with bottom labels.
Thanks anyway.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #567
Enhancement request:

Panels rendered as drop-down lists. These would be filled with a certain tag values, just like panels.

Facets is cool, all of it. Yet, sometimes I'd want the whole window to display album thumbnails and would like to configure drop-down lists for styles and artists (showing what's available) instead of adding panels to the left.
For more complex searches, there's still the search box in the toolbar.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #568
Does anyone know if its possible to have the secondary filters panes change depending on what is filtered in the parent pane?

For example, if parent filter column is Folder, and I select 'Soundtracks', I'd like the secondary filters to be 'Album Artist' and 'Artist'

And if I select 'Classical', then I'd like to to dynamically change to 'Composer' and 'Performer'.

Or perhaps there is another plugin that can do this?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #569
Looking for a little help with the Facets code. I can't for the life of me work out how to get Facets to show the last 50 albums added. I can get it to show the albums added in the last 10 days, or 50 days, but not the last 50 added. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #570
Looking for a little help with the Facets code. I can't for the life of me work out how to get Facets to show the last 50 albums added. I can get it to show the albums added in the last 10 days, or 50 days, but not the last 50 added. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible in facets. It doesn't look at what it filters and so cannot limit to 50.

I think foo_random_pools might be able to do something like what you want.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #571
Thanks for your reply. Are you sure? I don't see how such a simple thing cannot be done by Facets. Does foo random pools do the other kind of stuff that Facets does?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #572
^ foo_random_pools let's you compose a playlist of randomly selected songs that match a pre-defined criteria. So no, it's nothing similar.

I don't think Facets has a 'limit playlist to X items' functionality, and you will find that most components and foobar by default has no such thing, either.

Maybe some obscure component like SQL Tree has it. But you are better off just sticking to Facets and work around the fact.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #573
Is the latest facets version 1.0? That's the version listed on the main page.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #574
Is there a way I can see everything in my library that isn't in a playlist?

My music drive is full and I need to cull some stuff. I want to keep everything in my playlists and delete the rest but I'm not really sure how to select every album that's not in a playlist without going through them 1 by 1.