Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays (Read 1637 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

I need to refresh my knowledge on cheap devices to get coax digital out of a (Win7) computer, either from toslink (which my mobo outputs, Gigabyte with Realtek audio) or from USB.  I see the economics of scale at work: a helluvalot of cheap DACs and toslinks out, but not so much that gives coax out.
And I want to connect more than one at the time.  Earlier on I have experienced clashes when trying to connect different USB audio devices, which is also a reason to try mobo toslink -> coax. 

* Cheap optical to coax converters: do they do the job of simply passing the signal over, or are they resampling, corrupting DTS streams, and all that?
* Devices based on TI PCM2704 are dirt cheap these days. Has a DAC, which I don't really need, but which makes it hard for me to read specs: does it pass on to the coax output anything other than 16 bits?
(Do I hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits? Obviously I do if the 24-bit signal does not play. I want compatibility.)
* Even HDMI splitters output digital audio.  Appears like a stupid solution, but if it works ... but documentation is hard to find. But then I will likely have the issue that Windows will lose it if power management turns off the monitor.

In the past I have had mixed experience with cheap USB-audio to coax interfaces:
My HA Info U2 will often (but not always!) BSOD if hotplugged.
This thing: https://archimago.blogspot.no/2013/03/measurements-adaptive-aune-x1.html Since the last half year I have not been able to make it identify itself to Windows. It would always require multiple reconnects, but now it is hopeless.
So I resorted to my old MDPort-DG2 thing - which isn't happy about changing sample rate.

Re: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

Reply #1
Check out if mobo has s/pdif pin out and buy cheap adapter from Ebay (SPDIF Optical RCA Bracket Gigabyte Motherboard).

Re: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

Reply #2
Check out if mobo has s/pdif pin out and buy cheap adapter from Ebay (SPDIF Optical RCA Bracket Gigabyte Motherboard).
I don't have room for a bracket, but this was interesting:

"9) SPDIF_O (S/PDIF Out Header)
This header supports digital S/PDIF Out and connects a S/PDIF digital audio cable (provided by expansion
cards) for digital audio output from your motherboard to certain expansion cards like graphics cards and
sound cards."

Thanks a lot!