Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying (failing) to find Biography View (Read 2423 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying (failing) to find Biography View

Hi, newbie to foobar and this forum here. I'm sorry to have to ask, but I'm going round in circles trying to find Biography View. Can anyone point me to a URL? I found one at http://foo2k.chottu.net but I don't know anything about this site and it's in Japanese. Thanks.

Reply #1
Hi, newbie to foobar and this forum here. I'm sorry to have to ask, but I'm going round in circles trying to find Biography View. Can anyone point me to a URL? I found one at http://foo2k.chottu.net but I don't know anything about this site and it's in Japanese. Thanks.

It's the right place you've found. foo_uie_biography's HA thread you'll finde here: [Not my release] Biography view (some 20 pages)

Notice the URL in the very first posting.

Reply #2
Thanks PeteG, I saw how old the thread was and then saw 23 pages. I'll try the link.

Reply #3
Notice the URL in the very first posting.
Notice the bit in the very first posting here where vomer linked that same site already but said s/he couldn’t find a download due to the language barrier.

I found one at http://foo2k.chottu.net but I don't know anything about this site and it's in Japanese.
One needn’t know Japanese to figure out that it’s a list of components that the author of that page has released, with a download of Biography View provided near the bottom. Even if it weren’t so clear, there’s always Google Translate.

Reply #4
I don't like to be pedantic, especially where moderators are concerned  , but I did say "I found one", i.e. a download. I just don't like downloading stuff I don't know anything about, or haven't had recommended. But thanks for confirming this source is OK.

And to add difficulty (at least to me), it's a .dll which I don't have any experience of installing. At least I didn't till just now when I googled it. I'll have a go and let you know.

Reply #5
Notice the bit in the very first posting here where vomer linked that same site already but said s/he couldn’t find a download due to the language barrier.

Well, vomer didn't explicitly write, that (s)he was unable to find a place from where to download the Biography View component (I noticed this bit: "I found one at ...").
I just tried to tell vomer, that other foobar2000 & HA users actually use that homepage when downloading the component...
Nevermind, if vomer begins using the bio component and experience difficulties (s)he knows that there is a dedicated HA thread – which is alive and well, even if it's some time (> 2 years) since the component has been updated by ssenna, the developer; no reason for learning Japanese this time .

Reply #6
Good points.  It’s the author’s page, so it’ll be fine.

You should be able to install the DLL manually (as opposed to the newer, automatic method of using *.fb2k-component files) by copying it to the user-components folder of your installation in Program Files. Let me know if that works OK!

Edit: Actually, you may be able just to install using the Preferences and locate the file; it used to work with *.dll and *.zip files, too, although that functionality may have been removed according to a thread I just read… now I’m confusing myself, not to mention everyone else.

Reply #7
Sucess! I unzipped into the components folder. I thought there was a problem till I found that the search doesn't appear till you hit play; just selecting an album in the library doesn't do it. Happy user here now. Thanks for your help guys.

Paul.