Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac 1.3.0 pre-release (Read 99759 times) previous topic - next topic

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #75
anyway, slower and less compression than flaccl

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #76
Other news: The FLAC git has seen some changes on 2GB file limits on Windows. I didn't full understand the mailing list conversation, but apparently the limit was raised to 4GB and this can't be fixed until 1.3.1.

The fix has no such limits. Only API wasn't allowed to be changed, but that affects nothing but FLAC__metadata_simple_iterator_get_block_offset function. That means this function won't work if there's more than 2 GB worth of metadata. I have tested the modified code with 20 GB FLAC files without trouble.

Edit: I added experimental Unicode support to flac.exe last night. If anyone wants to experiment you can download this.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #77
Edit: I added experimental Unicode support to flac.exe last night. If anyone wants to experiment you can download this.

Great stuff, can't wait to see it make it into git! Thanks!
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #78

Does -o option work? Because when I use "flac -6 in.wav -o out.flac" it creates in.flac and outputs:

Code: [Select]
in.wav: wrote 21869264 bytes, ratio=0,731
ERROR: output file in.flac already exists, use -f to override

If -f is added, it encodes the file three times.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #80
[coded support for files >2/4 GB and Unicode]
You’re on a roll here!

Also, more speed-ups? Great, but as if it wasn’t far enough ahead of all the competition already. 

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #81
Does -o option work? Because when I use "flac -6 in.wav -o out.flac" it creates in.flac and outputs:

in.wav: wrote 21869264 bytes, ratio=0,731

If -f is added, it encodes the file three times.

Thanks for testing. I had missed a couple of functions that took filenames. Appropriate fixes have been made and my own quick testing found no more problems.
I updated the archive with latest changes and added metaflac in too. It contains the same unicode and wildcard treatment.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #82
15 percent increase in decoding speed? It is hardly much compared to how CPU power has evolved over the years, but still cool in the 'just because one can' department. (After all, this is the yardstick I have been evaluating other codecs against; can it touch FLAC on both speed and compression simultaneously?)

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #83
I've compiled FLAC 1.3 pre3 with GCC 4.8 (vanilla) on i686 but it keeps crashing:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08078685 in FLAC__bitreader_read_rice_signed_block_asm_ia32_bswap.c0b0 ()
#1  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Compilation flags used are:
-O2/-O3 -pipe -march=native
(I've got an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU)
I configured it this way:
./configure --enable-sse  --disable-shared --enable-static

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #84
It also crashes when compiled with GCC 4.5.4 without "--enable-sse".

It also crashes when I used "-O2 -pipe".

OK, I give up, I've just compiled it with "-O0 -g" and it just doesn't work at all:

file.flac ERROR got FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_FRAME_CRC_MISMATCH while decoding FLAC input
file.flac ERROR: while decoding FLAC input, state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC

I run flac this way:
./flac -f -8 -Ax2 --replay-gain -V *.flac

(This is how my files were originally compressed).

I even removed most flags:
./flac -f -V *.flac

The errors persist (STREAM_DECODER_ERROR).

Guys, is some magic required to compile the new FLAC? It seems totally broken.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #87
Static building never worked for me, but if you build shared, the flac utility will be static anyway (you'll have to run the script src/flac/flac and use src/flac/.libs/lt-flac after that), which does work here.

This release was mainly meant to fix built issues, so building should actually be easier.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #88
but if you build shared, the flac utility will be static anyway (you'll have to run the script src/flac/flac and use src/flac/.libs/lt-flac after that), which does work here.

That’s not actually true, lt-flac is still dynamically linked. Libtool only makes sure that the uninstalled libFLAC is being used:
$ ldd src/flac/.libs/lt-flac | grep FLAC
    libFLAC.so.8 => /home/chi/devel/flac/_bd/src/libFLAC/.libs/libFLAC.so.8 (0x00007f419de57000)
Unlike a statically linked binary, this will stop working if moved (it may either silently use the system-wide library, if there is any, or fail).

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #89
That’s not actually true

Oh right, I've been fooling myself apparently.  Sorry for talking BS, thanks for the warning.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #90
The problems birdie has look very much like broken hardware to me. Bad memory stick could easily trigger such behavior.

I uploaded fresh Win32 binaries of 1.3pre3 + git fixes here.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #91
I uploaded fresh Win32 binaries of 1.3pre3 + git fixes here.

These are with the UTF-8 runtime patches you made? There are still problems with them (it actually got worse). I tested them on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1, and I got this when used on three files, one with Cyrillic, one with Arabian and one with Japanese text.

See these screenshots:
http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/flac-130pre3-test.png
http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/flac-130pre3-test2.png

It seems it doesn't remove enough characters (doesn't empty the line completely) before writing a new step.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #92
Ouch, thanks. I used such tiny files in testing that the verification finished too fast to show this problem. I'll fix it.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #93
Fixed the bug and repeating line bug with long filenames. Compiled version can be downloaded here.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #94
Fixed the bug and repeating line bug with long filenames.

We're getting there Case! Great job, finally the characters show up. However, I still have a bug to report. I can't catch it in screenshots this time.

Suppose I run flac.exe with 2 files, like flac.exe -t ?????.flac ????.flac The first file shows up correctly:
flac 1.3.0pre3 [...]
?????.flac: testing, 56% complete

However, the second filename is not displayed
flac 1.3.0pre3 [...]
?????.flac: ok
testing, 12% complete

When finished, it does show the filename correctly:
flac 1.3.0pre3 [...]
?????.flac: ok
????.flac: ok

Another bug is the following: when a file doesn't exist, flac returns the next message
flac 1.3.0pre3 [...]
?????-n.flac: ERROR initializing decoder [...]

However, metaflac.exe returns something else:
αβγδε-n.flac: ERROR: reading metadata, status = "FLAC__METADATA_CHAIN_STATUS_ERROR_OP
ENING_FILE"

However, when the file exists, it works perfectly.

Still, I can't stress this enough, this is a *HUGE* improvement over no UTF-8 support at all, many thanks for fixing this

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #95
I should hire you as my personal beta-tester. I reverted the long-line repeating fix as it obviously needs much more work. Here's a fresh set with above bugs fixed: flac-1.3pre3-mod.zip

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #96
New Winamp 5.70 Build 3364 Beta 4

* Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.0

Isn't too early to integrate FLAC 1.3.x?

edit:
Tag 1.2.1 20070917, same as the "Pre" versions.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #98
New Winamp 5.70 Build 3364 Beta 4

* Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.0

Isn't too early to integrate FLAC 1.3.x?

edit:
Tag 1.2.1 20070917, same as the "Pre" versions.

It's a beta release of Winamp.  It's a good opportunity to test the FLAC release. 

It's also worth mentioning that a vast majority of the changes for 1.3.0 were in the build scripts and the various tools.  The core libFLAC library only received a minor amount of changes.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #99
I uploaded a test binary with properly made long filename display fix. In my own testing it performs now correctly, but perhaps ktf could give it a try before I send patches to flac dev list. Download at the usual location.