Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac 1.3.0 pre-release (Read 99789 times) previous topic - next topic

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #125
Quick question - does anyone have (or can anyone build) a script which will decode all 1.2.1-FLAC files in a given folder structure, and reencode at 1.3.0, preserving metadata/tags?  I always use the strongest possible compression so would be interested in doing this, even if the disk space saved would be miniscule.

To answer this question, the flac command line tool can do this. Just use 'flac -f file.flac' to re-encode the FLAC file while preserving all tags. To do this with a whole folder would be 'flac -f *.flac', with a whole folder of folders of flac files 'flac -f */*.flac' and so on.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #126
Or, on Linux / OS Ⅹ / Unix:

Code: [Select]
$ find . -type f -iname '*.flac' -exec flac -f --best '{}' ';'

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #128
flac -f writes to a temporary file, before overwriting the original.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #129
I guess you should use it with -V to check that the encoding went right. It transcodes to a temporary file (file.flac,fl-ac+en'c), and when finished, it removes the original and renames the new file.

Which makes sense, because a lossless codec should be as safe as possible. The command line tools have been designed with the same goal.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #131
For even more restless I made binaries.  Requires VC12 runtime.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #133
Please, is there any chance to get a GCC build of the release as well ?

Yeah, sure, but you haven't told me yet why the Visual Studio build isn't good enough. It isn't faster (yes, I actually tested that), only a little bigger. http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/flac-1.3.0-final-minGW.zip

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #134
but you haven't told me yet why the Visual Studio build isn't good enough.

Because:
I want to do some tests and comparisons between different builds.
I find the GCC builds slightly faster than the MSVC2010-2012 builds on my main multimedia machine which is still running XP. It's about the same speed as MSVC2008 builds though (Déjà vu).
I'm often moving and changing location and the GCC builds can run out of the box on any machine I may work on, including older Windows versions, without the need to find and install the required runtimes which is sometimes impossible to do if the machine has been locked by some admin.

Anyway, thanks for this build, it's working like a charm as expected

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #135
Weren´t John33 ICL compiles from RareWarez always that slightly faster?
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #137
I wonder why the download links on the Xiph website aren't updated yet? I only ever use FLAC in two programs - Foobar and EAC, and both work with FLAC 1.3.0 so that's fine for me.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #138
I'm looking for a 64-bit Linux build for my Linux Mint system. Possibly just a standalone static linked build, that would be fine (of course a .deb would be the best).
However, I cannot find a Flac 1.3.0 version for a Debian-based system. Does anyone here know how I can get one?

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #140
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=flac
see: sid (unstable)

1.3.0-1: alpha amd64 armel armhf hurd-i386 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc powerpcspe s390 s390x sparc sparc64

NOTE:
To check the same on Ubuntu:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=flac
(but ubuntu doesn't seem to have 1.3.0 at the time of this post)

Thanks!

I had to download the flac amd64, libflac8 amd64 and libflac8 i386 build. Now, I have flac 1.3.0 available on the command line.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #141
Since (A) this thread was meant for discussion about the pre-release, not the final, and (B) it’s usually suboptimal for both readers and staff to have multiple discussions open about one specific subject, I think this thread should be closed in favour of the final-specific thread in Validated News. If no one presents any valid objection in the near future and everyone can get the loose ends of discussion tied up, I’ll do just that.

I would split this, but then, y’know, we’d still have two threads. Neither can I merge the relevant posts with the other thread as the first of them predates the opening post over there, and anyway, birdie made an effort to submit that thread to News, so it’s polite to let birdie retain authorship of it. I’ll consider merging in some of the later posts from here but can make no promises; that sort of thing can get very confusing.