Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some feature suggestions (Read 1491 times) previous topic - next topic

Some feature suggestions

Hi there!

I hope this is the right place for some suggestions. If not, please point me to the right subforum.

I've been using Foobar2000 for some years now, and I'm still glad I discovered this piece of software. Still, I have some improvements on my mind:
1. With tabbed playlists, please have the playlist with the cureently playing song somehow displayed. Maybe the "play" triangle shown on that tab? It's really annoying to find the playlist again when there are like 20.

2. Offer a "search in all playlists" option in addition to the "search in current playlist". I often drag new songs directly from a non-monitored folder to check them out. Then I switch to another playlist, then another and... "Wait, where was that song? Can't find the playlist anymore..." So I have to manually look thru the playlists...

3. Offer a "stop after each song" option in addition to the "stop after current song" option, which deactivates automatically after the current song ended and playback stopped. A useful feature for dance groups, hobbyist singers and so on.

Maybe all or some of those functions are already in there somewhere, but in that case it seems I couldn't find them. Please tell me how to get to them then.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Some feature suggestions

Reply #1
Hi there,

1. With tabbed playlists, please have the playlist with the cureently playing song somehow displayed. Maybe the "play" triangle shown on that tab? It's really annoying to find the playlist again when there are like 20.
You can double-click the status bar to switch to current playlist / track.

2. Offer a "search in all playlists" option in addition to the "search in current playlist".
The plug-in foo_quicksearch can search all playlists, though I think it sends results to a new playlist rather than telling you which playlist the items were in originally, so perhaps not useful for you here. Agreed this would be a nice feature for a future version of foobar.

3. Offer a "stop after each song" option in addition to the "stop after current song" option, which deactivates automatically after the current song ended and playback stopped.
The plug-in foo_playlist_attributes can enable the option (stop after current) per playlist, effectively making it always on for that playlist. Also has a lot of other handy settings per playlist (playback order, bookmarks, etc)

Cheers 8)

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure what the status bar would be. Usually it's the bar at the bottom of the window, but a double-click there changes nothing. The only things reacting to double clicks are the songs themselves and the title bar of the window with the known result of switching between full screen window and regular window.

Yeah, if that sets up a new playlist with the finds it's not what I was looking for...

I tried the  foo_playlist_attributes plugin and it does indeed solve my problem, BUT the option for that isn't found in "Playback" like "stop after current" but in "Edit" and then another menu followed by another. It's pretty hard to explain to a simple user why you have to select that option there to make "stop after current" sticky. Also it involves installing the plugin. This all works for me (unless I forget to install the plugin after a re-install of a system), but it's too much for the people I recommend Foobar2000 to for such uses. I think the needed routines are already in Foobar2000, so the added option of "stop after each song" would be easy to do (my guess! Correct me if I'm wrong) and useful. I even wondered why it's not already there... So, please, devs... :)

Reply #3
I'm not sure what the status bar would be. Usually it's the bar at the bottom of the window, but a double-click there changes nothing. The only things reacting to double clicks are the songs themselves and the title bar of the window with the known result of switching between full screen window and regular window.

Try it with a track playing .

Reply #4
No way! You think I should play a track to see which playlist the currently played track is from? :D You really think I ask for a function to show me what playlist is currently played and DON'T play a track while testing that function? Before you answer: Of course I played a song. Makes no difference. Nothing is switching.

Reply #5
No matter how many tabbed playlists I have and regardless of playlist I am viewing, double click on status bar highlights the playing track in the playlist it was played from.

OTOH, I am likely just stupid and I am wasting your time.  I'm sure others will be by and take their time to provide you with support.

Reply #6
3. Offer a "stop after each song" option in addition to the "stop after current song" option, which deactivates automatically after the current song ended and playback stopped. A useful feature for dance groups, hobbyist singers and so on.

File -> Preferences -> Playback.
Check "Stop playback after current" and uncheck "Reset the above when stopping".

Reply #7
@ tpijag: I did not say you're stupid. It's more like I feel you think I'm stupid by telling me to try it with a file playing when I'm asking for a function that only makes sense when a file is playing. I'd have to be stupid to expect the proposed solution to work while playback is stopped, wouldn't I?
Meanwhile I tried it on another system with freshly installed Foobar2000 and I can say yes, it works there, but it's actually not what I wanted, at least not fully. The function jumps to the current playlist to the currently playing file. I only want to see which playlist is active, without changing what playlist is currently displayed. As said, a "play" triangle on the playlists tab besides the name would be very very nice.

File -> Preferences -> Playback.
Check "Stop playback after current" and uncheck "Reset the above when stopping".
Ahh, very nice. Thank you for pointing it out. Is this a recent addition or was I just too blind to find it?

Also, any ideas about a "search in all playlists" feature?