Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good media player for playing Opus files. (Read 6721 times) previous topic - next topic

Good media player for playing Opus files.

I have been using Musicbee for playing my opus files. Is there any better media player out there?

What media player do you guys use and what are your recommendations?

Re: Good media player for playing Opus files.

Reply #1
fb2k all the way. It's the only player that has never given me any problems, be it in performance (large database) or correctly applying replaygain. Its extensibility with plugins seals the deal.

Reply #2
I have tried fb2k but couldn't make it look good in terms of appearance. My current layout is "Visualizations + Cover Art + Tabs". This is the only layout which is showing album cover. I am not into those fancy skins and all. I like the simplicity of fb2k.

Can you share your layout. So that i can customize it better without installing new skins.

Reply #3
This my current layout.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like my visualizations, so I have a spectrogram, a VU meter, an oscilloscope, and a spectrum analyzer. Album art is also there, and naturally, the playlist, and if I want to browse for files, I use the "Browse Files" tab where the Spectrogram is.
Lossless: flac --best --verify
Lossy: opusenc --bitrate 160

Reply #4
You can find lots of layouts both over at the fb2k forum (here, for example: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,115319.0.html ) and by googling - but it could be a pain to search for "layout", "theme" and "skin".
Reddit has a fb2k-sub. Not much going on, but appears to be less flashiness-minded than everything you find on DeviantArt.

Reply #5
This my current layout.

I like my visualizations, so I have a spectrogram, a VU meter, an oscilloscope, and a spectrum analyzer. Album art is also there, and naturally, the playlist, and if I want to browse for files, I use the "Browse Files" tab where the Spectrogram is.

Thanks, I really like your layout. One more thing i would like to ask is what's your go-to source for high quality album art?

Reply #6
This my current layout.

Thanks, I really like your layout. One more thing i would like to ask is what's your go-to source for high quality album art?

For my store-bought CDs, I scan the art myself. For digital (legal) downloads, they mostly already come with it.
Lossless: flac --best --verify
Lossy: opusenc --bitrate 160

Reply #7
Often, you get good enough album art via Discogs (there is a Discogs tagger component for foobar2000) or by using MusicBrainz Picard. But there are other applications more specifically targetting artwork than general tagging.

Reply #8
I've been using Album Art Exchange for a while now. The quality is very good and the resolution is generally 600px or higher.

Reply #9
I have been using Musicbee for playing my opus files. Is there any better media player out there?

Not sure if you mean just "what's a good media player" or "what works best with Opus".  Actually I really like MusicBee as a general audio player due to its extreme customability in look/layout, and as far Opus goes it uses the BASS audio engine, which the latter's developer keeps up-to-date with the latest Opus library.  Foobar is superb too, but as far as Opus decoding (vs. encoding) it's difficult to tell the library in use as the processing is done in its own "core" for Opus as opposed to a separate library.  Has a wealth of available plugins to play with.  I use and enjoy both.

I must also mention the AIMP player (also BASS-based) due to its hands-down best radio stream features.  Has a built-in Internet radio stream recorder--neither MusicBee nor Foobar do, although they can be configured to use Streamripper--with an adjustable  background buffer just for streams that allows the ability to capture a full track even if you started recording past the start.  Will separate and "basic-tag" the saved tracks (like Streamripper), record direct from stream with no transcoding for mp3/aac/aac+, and unlike Streamripper can even record Opus (hoo-ra!) and FLAC streams, although those are re-encoded on the fly using any of the included encoders (FLAC, Opus, etc.).

The bottom line is, all of these are great choices, and each one does some things a little more/better/differently than the others, so I don't bother choosing one I just keep all three, haha..

Reply #10

I must also mention the AIMP player (also BASS-based) due to its hands-down best radio stream features.  Has a built-in Internet radio stream recorder--neither MusicBee nor Foobar do, although they can be configured to use Streamripper--with an adjustable  background buffer just for streams that allows the ability to capture a full track even if you started recording past the start.  Will separate and "basic-tag" the saved tracks (like Streamripper), record direct from stream with no transcoding for mp3/aac/aac+, and unlike Streamripper can even record Opus (hoo-ra!) and FLAC streams, although those are re-encoded on the fly using any of the included encoders (FLAC, Opus, etc.).
Only thing i have against AIMP is that it doesn't have logarithmic volume scaling like Foobar2000 and Musicbee.

Reply #11
Only thing i have against AIMP is that it doesn't have logarithmic volume scaling like Foobar2000 and Musicbee.

Actually, it DOES:  Preferences/Playback/Logarithmic volume slider (check or uncheck).
This is with AIMP 4.51.2080.

Reply #13
I have tried fb2k but couldn't make it look good in terms of appearance. My current layout is "Visualizations + Cover Art + Tabs". This is the only layout which is showing album cover. I am not into those fancy skins and all. I like the simplicity of fb2k.

Can you share your layout. So that i can customize it better without installing new skins.

https://www.deviantart.com/tedgo/art/DarkOne-v4-360862076

Reply #14
Foobar2000 ; hands down.

It's my 'go to' program for general audio playback and conversion from lossless(FLAC) to lossy(Opus/AAC(Apple)). it pretty much does all of the stuff most people would need it to do. just make sure to install the 'Foobar2000 Encoders Pack' as with that you can encode Opus v1.2.1. but Opus v1.3 should be out fairly soon I would imagine given it's been in RC stage for nearly a full 2 months now. but once Opus v1.3 is out, they will likely upgrade the Encoders Pack to include it.

plus, like already mentioned you can drag and drop a lot of audio files into it it and processes them fairly quick and reliably etc. Foobar2000 has a simple/basic interface, which some might not care for, but it does what it does well and without the bloat.

p.s. Foobar2000 is what I use on my Windows 10 Desktop computer and I also have the mobile version of it on a older smart phone for music on-the-go.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #15
This my current layout.

I too like your lay-out, I like my visualizations too.
How did you add the tabs that let you choose between properties, spectrogram and browse files?
This is mine atm, I'd like to ad some tabs to choose between a spectorgram and VU meter above my current visualizations.

Reply #16
How did you add the tabs that let you choose between properties, spectrogram and browse files?

Instead of placing an element in an area of Foobar, Start with a 'Tabs' container. For example,in your version, you could go into edit mode, erase the album list, add Tabs container, then put the album list in a tab, something else in another tab., etc.

Reply #17

Instead of placing an element in an area of Foobar, Start with a 'Tabs' container. For example,in your version, you could go into edit mode, erase the album list, add Tabs container, then put the album list in a tab, something else in another tab., etc.

Thanks so much, that did the trick.

Reply #18
I use XMPlay :) Works fine with Opus and tons of old computer music related tracker formats and C64 sids :)