Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #5] Re: Dare I start another vinyl topic? (Read 2407 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #5] Re: Dare I start another vinyl topic?

Digital files are only as immortal as their backups & error correction, and your ability to read them, of course. :D
A big difference between digital and analog when it comes to preservation, is that with digital, you do know when it's gone bad. With digital formats that support it, the checksum will tell you when you have a bad copy. With analog, you don't know.

Re: Dare I start another vinyl topic?

Reply #1
Digital files are only as immortal as their backups & error correction, and your ability to read them, of course. :D
A big difference between digital and analog when it comes to preservation, is that with digital, you do know when it's gone bad. With digital formats that support it, the checksum will tell you when you have a bad copy. With analog, you don't know.

I like to add that if you don't have the ability to occasionally check to see if something has gone bad then it happens silently.  With analog it's far more time consuming to check and you can degrade the media it's on even further or destroy it accidently.  With digital it should only take a few minutes to check a bunch of files that are well hashed and organized.  All formats that hold information as either analog or digital eventually degrade and breakdown but the information on digital formats can be transferred to a new format if caught in time and proper back ups that are made before it ever starts to become a problem can save someone from a major headache.  All without creating generations in the process.  Digital is a better archivable format for this reason.

Reply #2
nobody tried to claim that only LPs contained angel dust and the farts of real musicians.
Which is a shame, since I'd hypothesize that it would be easier to fart directly into a record sleeve than a CD case, given the dimensions of the intergluteal cleft.

Finally! An unambiguous advantage for records!

That being said, it's an open question whether the cardboard sleeve and PVC disc would better adsorb the stench of the odoriferous compounds (principally H2S and methyl mercaptan, with likely some dimethyl sulfide; the relative composition will vary depending upon both diet and intestinal microbiota, which are of course interrelated) of flatulence than would a polycarbonate disc with a paper insert and polystyrene packaging. Unfortunately I don't have remote journal access to check and see at the moment; the individual rates for ACS in particular are easily as extortionate as NPG.

This seems like a far more productive avenue for investigation than most of those undertaken by LP 'purists'. Do original Charly Parker LPs still smell of heroin and the national disgrace of the Jim Crow segregation era? Perhaps Hank Williams Sr LPs still retain the scent of whiskey and infidelity? Do Liberace records reek of the the pungent odor of right wing bigotry borne of closeted homosexuality and stimulant abuse?

I expect to see noses shoved into sleeves, and elaborate verbiage describing the nuances of early sausage and amphetamine-fueled Hamburg Beatles versus the curry and transcendental meditation driven White Album. Obviously, this kind of thing would only be apparent with the first pressing ;)

Get to it, vinyl heads. :))

Reply #3
Which is a shame, since I'd hypothesize that it would be easier to fart directly into a record sleeve than a CD case, given the dimensions of the intergluteal cleft.
There's many CD systems out there with lots of pixie dust.

"This tray is 9lbs. It's made of a zinc alloy and the reason they do that is to keep as minimal as vibration as possible so you can have a perfect read. And one of the things we don't want in music on a CD is jitter."

https://youtu.be/vd-9_f9YgsE?t=18

Frankly, IMO anything below a 200lbs tray is not good enough. That jitter really ruins my CD experience.

Reply #4
There's many CD systems out there with lots of pixie dust.

"This tray is 9lbs. It's made of a zinc alloy and the reason they do that is to keep as minimal as vibration as possible so you can have a perfect read. And one of the things we don't want in music on a CD is jitter."

Frankly, IMO anything below a 200lbs tray is not good enough. That jitter really ruins my CD experience.
Well sure. It is pretty massive pixie dust though; Tinkerbell definitely needs to cut back on the bacon wrapped, beer battered, deep fried, honey glazed pork chops.

Seriously, what's with these plebians and their commodity hardware? Multi CD changers? Talk about a compromised listening experience!

It's well established that the greater the moving mass of the transport, the better the bits sound ;)

Reply #5
I mean, he later emphasized, that "it's all digital down to the end" or something to that extend. So good, no "analogue is better" shilling. But it kinda grinds my gears, that a company like that, should make these weird claims, really. If they'd rip a CD in silence 20 times over and then CRC-sum those reads, any errors should be made evident, if there ever were any. Then play the music from memory, with the CD just sitting in the drive, not moving.
The fact that they seem oblivious to things like forward error correction, is kinda shameful for a high-profile company like that.

And what the hell is it with a 9lbs remote control? I can understand full-metal cased remotes to be heavier, but they seemed to have just weighted that things down with lead or something. Seriously what's the point there? So it doubles as door stop? It sure looks like one...

I sure hope they don't use the same production tactics on their pianos.