Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 70GB hardrive (Mac), Mac, PC, which encoder? (Read 3106 times) previous topic - next topic

70GB hardrive (Mac), Mac, PC, which encoder?

Hello, my name is Loren Peterson and this is my first post on hydrogen audio. I plan to store my compressed music on my Macintosh since I do most of my work on it and I own an iPod. Quality is very important to me. Will I have to do the ripping on my PC since Plextools and EAC only support that platform? I'm hoping that there's a way to rip accurate files on my Mac since its a hassle to transer from PC to Mac. Once I have uncompressed files, should I use Lame aps, aps with vbr, or something different? Does AAC have an equivilant bitrate that is just as transparent. I have asked a lot of questions and I appreciate your efforts to help me.  If possible I would like to do everything on one platform.
Thank you
Loren Peterson

Reply #1
What OS are you on on the Mac?  Jaguar?

If so, here are some options.

Use the X11 environment to run the unix version of cdparanoia.  It is the grandpa of programs like EAC using the same concept to "assure" good rips.
Apple - Mac OS X - X11 for Mac OS X
CDDA Paranoia Homepage
(There was a how-to article in MacAddict or MacWorld within the last six months or so about using X11.)

Purchase Virtual PC and run EAC on your Mac.  I'm not sure about how safe this is since VPC uses a generic "virtual" CD drive profile not the actual installed drive.

Rip with EAC on your PC then move the wavs to your Mac.  Drop them on iTunes and use the convert to aac menu choice.  Try aac at 160 and if that's not good enough for you go to 192.

Unfortunately, none of these are particularly elegant solutions.

Reply #2
Last week, I bought a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS 10.2.4 (Jaguar) and have done the following to rip CD's (same as suggested above): use CD Paranoia to rip, then iTunes 4 to encode. To encode in AAC you'll have to have iTunes 4 and Quicktime 6.3 installed.....once I did that, I have been encoding AAC at 192kbps with excellent results. You may even be happy with 160kbps....I choose 192kbps since it is close to the --alt-preset standard size and bitrate that I am used to.

Reply #3
Cygnus- I would like to use CD Paranoia too, but I'm not fluent in UNIX. Would you please tell me how to install CD Paranoia? I also run Jaguar (10.2.6)
Thanks!

Reply #5
Thanks so much!