Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What do you guys think about this Headphone (Read 5409 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you guys think about this Headphone

Hello , I know almost everybody recomend Senheiser
But the good models ppl recomend are too expensive here in Brazil , and way out my budget.

I saw yesterday a Philips SBCHP800 , They looked nice and they might have good quality and is on the limit of my budget.
What do yall think about this model ? Is it worth it ?

Here is a .pdf about this headphone

http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c...bchp800_lft.pdf

and a picture of it

http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c.../sbchp800_h.jpg

Is it good to buy ? I am using it to listen my mp3 on my computer , games , dvd ...

Thanks for you time.

Tadeu

Edited: Btw , I have a Audigy 1 platinum with Audigy 2 drivers.
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

Reply #1
Do you have a local dealer that can offer you several headphones in this price range for a listening test ? Or can you listen to that headphone model ? If it sounds OK to you, then everything should be fine ...

BTW: Sennheiser and Soby have cheaper models with decent sound-price-relation as well ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #3
I saw yesterday a Philips SBCHP800
[...]
Is it worth it ?

Worth how much exactly?

I don't know the 800 model but I bought a pair of SBCHP250 for my parents last Christmas for ~ $10 (it was on sale IIRC but shouldn't be much more expensive now). My parents are very anti-audiophile people and they're completely satisfied with the sound quality. I've also tried those headphones (only for a very short period of time, I have to admit) and IMHO they provide excellent value. For $10 they're relatively comfortable and sound relatively good. I couldn't wear them for hours like my Beyerdynamic phones but they're OK and they don't have any annoying audible flaws.
So if you're on a low budget I can recommend the cheap Philips phones.

Now it's even more of an impossible task to explain to my parents why I needed to buy those expensive ($150) Beyerdynamic phones if I could've bought almost the same thing for just $10. They admit the Beyer's are of higher build quality but they can't notice any significant differences in sound quality...

Reply #4
I don't know anything about those particular headphones, but you should try asking this question on headwize.com or head-fi.org. How much are they? Koss has some good cheap headphones; avoid all Sony's in the lower price ranges (<$200) except for the V6 or 7506 which are excellent. Senn Mx-300 buds are suppose to be good.

Reply #5
Well they are costing about 97 R$ (Brazilian Real) , thats about 35 US dollars.
They have those  SBCHP250 here too for about 56 R$ , that about 28 Us Dollars..

And I have no option of trying them.
=[
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

Reply #6
Are Grado SR-60's out of your price range?  At $60-$70 US (new) they sound absolutely great for the price.

I've also heard very good things about Koss PortaPros, although I have not heard the phones myself.  They go for about $40 US.  If you don't want to go for the grados I'd try to get the PortaPros.

Reply #7
Now it's even more of an impossible task to explain to my parents why I needed to buy those expensive ($150) Beyerdynamic phones if I could've bought almost the same thing for just $10. They admit the Beyer's are of higher build quality but they can't notice any significant differences in sound quality...

Trust me mate - it's even worse when it's your wife that can't hear a difference!

She can't hear a difference between the mono TV speaker and the hi-fi system. Really! In fact, I can switch one stereo loudspeaker on and off, and she couldn't detect it if her life depended on it.

But luckily we don't try to stop each other buying things. I don't understand why she needs so many shoes and recipe books, and she doesn't understand why I need so many gramophones and records! And very happy we both are.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. she has many more pairs of shoes than I have pieces of audio equipment.

Reply #8
I've also heard very good things about Koss PortaPros, although I have not heard the phones myself.  They go for about $40 US.  If you don't want to go for the grados I'd try to get the PortaPros.

I have a pair of Koss KTX-Pro, which I've read use the same drivers as the PortaPros.  They sound decent for portable use, but imo bass is way overemphasized (and muddy too) -- otherwise, they're good for the price, less than $20.  The KTX-Pro is discontinued and replaced by the Koss KTX-Pro1 which again probably uses identical drivers, but has a much snazzier, hyper-modern look.

My guess is the main advantage with the Portapro/Sportapro is the build quality... KTX-Pro are cheaply built and don't last long under heavy usage.  If it wasn't for that bass issue, I'd say they're as good as Grado SR60 and maybe even improve on them in some respects (less "in your face" sound and cleaner treble).