Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: slow CD-ROM drive speed on Vista 64-bit? (Read 2533 times) previous topic - next topic

slow CD-ROM drive speed on Vista 64-bit?

I'm out of ideas here. I'm running 64-bit Vista on a sickeningly fast branch-new machine. In an effort to find a good drive with which to re-rip my CD collection, I've purchased a couple high-rated internal and external drives. However, I can't get anything above 6-8x access speed in Vista, with either Nero CDSpeed or EAC. For example, take the Samsung SH-S203, reviewed here:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?r...age=Performance

You can see the CDSpeed screenshot where it supposedly should average 30x on a pressed CD. Again, I can't get above 6x on this exact drive with CDSpeed. This is with MULTIPLE drives, USB, SATA, external/internal, etc. Anyone else running 64-bit Vista specifically who has or doesn't have this problem? Is there a magical setting I need to flip to enable "turbo mode"?

Reply #1
A friend of mine had similar issues when he was using XP64 for a while there, something about the drivers not being up to snuff so he couldn't run his burner in DMA mode.

Reply #2
Well the problem was with The Cure CD I was using as a test. When I tried other CDs, speed is as expected (20x in EAC secure mode on the Samsung!). I didn't expect a perfectly good CD with no errors to magically rip at 1/3 the speed of other CDs, which is why I didn't think to try anything else until now. Oh well, lesson learned.