Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mpc in other containers (Read 5395 times) previous topic - next topic

mpc in other containers

Hi,

I saw in the release notes for MPC8 final that the format can be encapsulated in other containers such as MKV and NUT.  I have some questions regarding how this should be done.

• Should the whole MPC8 packet be included inside the container packet or just the data inside each AP packet?
  • Currently, the FFmpeg MPC8 decoder uses the last 2 bytes of the SH packet as extradata or private data. Should that be used for the MKV CodecPrivate or would something more, like the whole SH packet, be better?
  • I have only seen a few unofficial references to FOURCCs and wFormatTag values.  Are there "official" values for MPC8 and/or MPC7?

mpc in other containers

Reply #1
  • Should the whole MPC8 packet be included inside the container packet or just the data inside each AP packet?
  • Currently, the FFmpeg MPC8 decoder uses the last 2 bytes of the SH packet as extradata or private data. Should that be used for the MKV CodecPrivate or would something more, like the whole SH packet, be better?
  • I have only seen a few unofficial references to FOURCCs and wFormatTag values.  Are there "official" values for MPC8 and/or MPC7?

• The data inside is enough
  • All the informations (except CRC) in the SH packet are needed for a correct decoding. If your container can keep part of this information elsewhere and you don't want to duplicate it, that's fine (I think it's even better to not duplicate it, avoids conflicts). It's just that you will need all the fields (except CRC) to initialize the decoder.
  • To my knowledge there is no FOURCC for musepack. The sv8 container uses MPCK as magic number, maybe it can be used as FOURCC.