Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC vs OGG (Read 6577 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC vs OGG

Lately I've been encoding all my CDs using OGG.  But before I spend many more hours.. what are your thoughts of MPC vs OGG?

MPC vs OGG

Reply #1
Please try using the search function as this question has been asked (and answered) many times before in this forum.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #2
Use Ogg Vorbis for bitrates up to -q3. At higher bitrtes than that that, MPC standard is better. Depends what bitrate you'd like to use.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #3
Use Ogg Vorbis for bitrates up to -q3. At higher bitrtes than that that, MPC standard is better. Depends what bitrate you'd like to use.

Vorbis is better for at least Q=4.

Just check if Q=4 or Q=5 for Vorbis (GT3b1) is transparent for You, if yes - use Ogg Vorbis, if no - use MPC.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #4

Let's see some samples and listening tests instead of arbitrary estimations of 'this value in this format is obviously better than that value in that format'.  That is if such a vague discussion like this really needs to be rehashed again anyway....

MPC vs OGG

Reply #5
Cobra makes an interesting point (for me at least).  I've listened to oggs and mpcs, and found mpc to be the more efficient format (both can be effectively transparent to me on my equipment, but mpc can do it at a somewhat lower bitrate).  But I still use ogg because:

1. the bitrate difference is pretty small, so
2. the greater chance of portable ogg players makes it a better investment of my time.

So it makes sense to have a default format picked not just on sound quality, IF there are other issues for you.

Having said all that, I now encode to flac and only transcode to ogg -q6 as I run out of space!  Gives extra time for ogg to improve!

MPC vs OGG

Reply #6
Cobra makes an interesting point (for me at least).  I've listened to oggs and mpcs, and found mpc to be the more efficient format (both can be effectively transparent to me on my equipment, but mpc can do it at a somewhat lower bitrate).  But I still use ogg because:

1. the bitrate difference is pretty small, so
2. the greater chance of portable ogg players makes it a better investment of my time.

So it makes sense to have a default format picked not just on sound quality, IF there are other issues for you.

Having said all that, I now encode to flac and only transcode to ogg -q6 as I run out of space!  Gives extra time for ogg to improve!

yeah! same here, I cannot hear a difference between a -q 5 gt3b1 vorbis and a standard mpc. But ogg WILL GET PORTABLE HARDWARE SUPPORT by audiophile firms like iriver sooner or later (probably later).
I love the moderators.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #7
I wouldn't call iRiver an audiophile firm, just a good user-concerned one.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #8
Iriver does make cool players that sound good!
I love the moderators.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #9

Sometimes I get the impression a major reason for you to post is to see your hadbanging smiley appearing.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

MPC vs OGG

Reply #10
I just ABXed MPC on -radio and Ogg Vorbis 1.0 Q=4.25 on Running Wild: Agents Of Black.
MPC had distorted high Hz, Ogg Vorbis sounds to be louder, thats why i earned 10/10 for both.
Anyone want samples?

So i can`t say which codec sounds better at this bitrate - both failed. But Ogg Vorbis has better portables support and don`t violate patents. Also more soft supports Ogg Vorbis (or am i wrong?).

Next time i will compare Q=5 - GT3b1 with MPC --standard (if they are producing similar bitrates at this Q level). 10:1 both will be transparent for me

MPC vs OGG

Reply #11
if iRiver adds support for Vorbis, cool. I'll flash the firmware. Although I won't use it because I don't like Vorbis at all.
I tested a music sample of one of my albums, (not those castanets and all that shit) at -q5 and it damaged the high frequencies so badly that artifacts were audible (ABX 10/10) clearly when using a SBLive 5.1 Player and FPS1000 4.1 Speakers (gaming equipment) while even 128kbps CBR mp3 didn't shit up those highs.

MPC however doesn't give me audible problems. My MPC encodes are --quality 7 --xlevel, bitrate is about --alt preset extreme's.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #12
I can't comment on the sample you used, but something struck me as odd.  You complain about ogg at -q5 (nominally 160kbps), but then you encode mpcs at about 256kbps.  I'm not denying that mpc is the better format at these levels, but wouldn't it make sense to try ogg at the bitrates you'd be using (particularly Garf's GT3 version, which I understand makes good use of the extra bits!)?  It might modify your opinion of vorbis somewhat.

Cheers, Paul

MPC vs OGG

Reply #13

Sometimes I get the impression a major reason for you to post is to see your hadbanging smiley appearing.. just kidding, I read somewhere that some guys were satisfied by the quality of their iriver discmen.

btw. I prefer my headbanger-smiley
I love the moderators.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #14
Just check if Q=4 or Q=5 for Vorbis (GT3b1) is transparent for You, if yes - use Ogg Vorbis, if no - use MPC.

Why? Oggggt3b1 ''s -q5 is about 180-220 kbps, that's already larger than MPC --standard 140-180 kbps 

I tested a music sample of one of my albums, (not those castanets and all that shit) at -q5 and it damaged the high frequencies so badly that artifacts were audible

Oops...I think you select the wrong encoder for encoding, it must be WMA 
Vorbis (*might be) slightly louder than originals but not as bad as you've said.

MPC vs OGG

Reply #15
Why? Oggggt3b1 ''s -q5 is about 180-220 kbps, that's already larger than MPC --standard 140-180 kbps 

standard is not really 140-180, but between 140 (near-mono or poor high-freq) and 230 (very-tonal) kbps.
On tonal music, the GT3 modification doesn't change the bitrate, which is near 160 kbps.

EDIT : on some case, GT3 encodings are smaller than CVS one.