Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which one?

Default UI
[ 18 ] (13.2%)
Columns UI
[ 70 ] (51.5%)
Panels UI
[ 47 ] (34.6%)
Egoh UI
[ 1 ] (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Topic: What Foobar UI Are You Using? (Read 18213 times) previous topic - next topic

What Foobar UI Are You Using?

I was reading the Columns UI thread, and musicmusic had mentioned:
Something that maybe interesting: a new poll for 'what UI are you using'. I think it would be quite different to the last poll a couple of years ago I believe.

So I decided to make it, and see what people thought . I personally use Panels UI (right now) as my main UI, but I switch back to Columns every so often. So I voted for Panels UI.
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Reply #1
I'm using Column_UI for the layout, but SCPL to display the tracks.

Reply #2
I like foobar for its simplicity and power to manage a large number of songs so I use ColumnUI. My foobar is all the time in the tray so no use for fancy UI. I guess I can use the default UI too but it lacks some nice functions of ColumnUI and its panel.

Reply #3
I've just started with foobar about three weeks ago, and have used PanelsUI from the start.

Probably because that was required for the very first config. that I downloaded.

As soon as I learn the coding for PanelsUI well enough, then I will move on to Columns, just to see what's what...

Reply #4
This poll is flawed because it does not take into account those people who use more than one UI simultaneously. I use Columns UI for my playlists and Panels UI to design the layout which is centered around Columns UI.

Reply #5
This poll is flawed because it does not take into account those people who use more than one UI simultaneously. I use Columns UI for my playlists and Panels UI to design the layout which is centered around Columns UI.
No, you use only one UI as your main UI (Preferences - Display - User Interface Module).

I use ColumnsUI. Panels UI only because of the track display panel. Panels UI approach to have every single function only as a code equivalent is to be criticized, as it leads to tons of spaghetti code and confusion. I've had a look into the library filter thing only once and decided, I'm not a geek here any more. I'm too stupid. My thoughts are, ColumnsUI is more carefully designed.

Reply #6
QUOTE(metal_termite @ Jun 28 2007, 19:41) *
No, you use only one UI as your main UI (Preferences - Display - User Interface Module).

Well there're people use more than one foobar installation with different UIs too  or one foobar with different Layout Presets. But I believe they still have a preference.

Reply #7
It is true, you can only select one UI as your main display. But if someone wanted they could select Panels UI as their main display and only have one panel with just a Columns UI playlist, the same is true for the opposite scenario. That's why IMO looking at both as absolutes is somewhat of an oversimplification, but from a technical standpoint you are right, I'm wrong.

I agree with many of your concerns about Panels UI titleformatting. That is why when it was originally developed I asked if it was not just reinventing the wheel -- many of the same things could be done more efficiently with a similar HTML/CSS component. Not that I don't appreciate Panels UI and the time that has gone into its development.

Reply #8

I had taken this into account when making the poll. I was going to add 2 more options (Panels + Columns and Panels + Egoh) but for the reason that Squeller said (you technically only use one UI) I decided not to make those two options.

Already, I find the results kind of interesting, as I would have thought Panels would have a greater number than Columns. But it seems the difficulty in coding Panels layouts has kept a lot of people with Columns UI.
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Reply #9
I voted PanelsUI, but mostly as a mainframe that I'm working on redesigning. For playlist management I still use Columns Playlist for easy tagging.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #10
But if someone wanted they could select Panels UI as their main display and only have one panel with just a Columns UI playlist, the same is true for the opposite scenario.

Could you explain to me how this would be done?  I do not see a panel command within PanelsUI for a Columns UI Playlist...  What am I missing?

Reply #11
I think he means this one: Playlist views / Columns Playlist

Edit: To answer the poll, I'm using Columns UI with SCPL, Track Display and Library Filter from Panels UI.
I may change to Panels UI to get rid of the lines etc. it's just a bit too much to change hehe.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #13
I am still using foo_ui_columns  I like it mainly for its simplicity.
Thank you musicmusic please keep develloping...

Reply #14
just started using panels ui...been using columns ui for a loooong time before that

Reply #15
I don't know what I should vote for. I use columns ui and Panel ui. Sometimes I use caolumns ui and sometimes panel ui.