Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for technical intro to audio coding (Read 7022 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for technical intro to audio coding

(I wanted the title of this post to be "Looking for a good technical introduction to perceptual audio coding" but that didn't fit well on the front page)

I want to spend some time reading technical papers about perceptual audio coders, so when Frank starts saying stuff like "No that's wrong because of the (insert technical babble here)", I might be able to follow along.

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~bosse/proj/proj.html: I discovered this page in a Google search. It seems like a fairly comprehensive introduction to perceptual audio coders, and although it's dated 1998 or so, it looks like it has a lot of relevent information.

I just wanted to make sure, before I spent several hours trying to read and understand it, that it's not a false/poorly written article. And after reading this, I'll probably want to read more...

I appreciated 2BDecided's links to articles on dither in this thread, and I'm wondering if there are some more bookmarks that the audio experts would be willing to share regarding the innards of audio coders.

I have access to a university library (which has subscriptions to a lot of technical journals) so if anyone can point me to some authors, journals, or articles that are good sources but aren't free to access, that would be great too.

I'm still a novice with this stuff, and my math knowledge isn't that advanced (yet), but anything that I might be able to understand would be much appreciated!

Reply #1
A very nice overview of audio coding can be found in:

Perceptual Coding of Digital Audio
TED PAINTER AND ANDREAS SPANIAS
PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE, VOL. 88, NO. 4, APRIL 2000

It may be not so introductory, but it is quite readable..

Enjoy,

Petracci

Reply #2
I found it... thanks a bunch! 63 pages should keep me busy for a while

Reply #3
I have got a lot of information from Ken Pohlmann's classic "Principles Of Digital Audio". It's got a 60 page chapter on "Perceptual Coding" that's not too mathy, and it's got stuff on specific codecs, dither, FFT's, etc. It's over 700 pages altogether and should be in everyone's library.

If you can't find a copy I'd be happy to let you look at mine; I'm right over in Solvang 

Reply #4
Thank you for the recommendation, bryant. I think i remember thumbing through that book at a Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago, but according to my wallet that day, I wasn't about to walk out of the bookstore with anything that cost more than about sixty cents.

Of course, the UCSB library doesn't stock the book, because then they woudn't have room on the shelves for all those copies of the Swedish 1956 Photography Review scrapbooks. I asked for it to be shipped from another library, so it should be in my hot little hands by next week.

ATTENTION ALL UC STUDENTS: PLEASE RETURN YOUR COPIES OF PRINCIPLES OF DIGITAL AUDIO TO YOUR LIBRARIES SO THEY CAN BE SHIPPED TO ME!!

P.S. I thought Solvang was just a tourist town. I didn't realize anyone actually lived there.

Reply #5
Originally posted by SometimesWarrior
P.S. I thought Solvang was just a tourist town. I didn't realize anyone actually lived there.

Haha! No, they actually let people live here. But we have to be of Danish decent, have windmills in our front yard and wear funny costumes when we go outside.

Reply #6
Originally posted by bryant
I have got a lot of information from Ken Pohlmann's classic "Principles Of Digital Audio". It's got a 60 page chapter on "Perceptual Coding" that's not too mathy, and it's got stuff on specific codecs, dither, FFT's, etc. It's over 700 pages altogether and should be in everyone's library.

The Pohlmann is really a MUST for everyone interested in technical digital audio.

It is written well with less errors and with a
lot of British humor.

Note the remark about the Planck limit of
audiophile high resolution recordings.
--  Frank Klemm