Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do you change lossless formats? (Read 2985 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you change lossless formats?

I started out with wavpack's hybrid mode...  then i decided 2 files per track was more of a pain in the ass, so i went to ape extra high...  then i realized the difference between high and extra high is like .1mb per track... but a serious difference in encode/decode time... especially when making an mp3 cd for my car, or doing replaygain and the like...  so now i'm converting down to High (luckily monkey's gui makes that very easy)

but in all honesty... i wouldn't be surprised if i ended up using wavpack again in the future (just without the hybrid mode)... or if flac gets its filesizes down, i'd definately switch to that...

has anyone else had a similiar situation? or am i just extremely neurotic... 

Reply #1
I have truckloads of Shorten files (that's what you get with a damn addiction to in-concert recordings ), and use FLAC and Monkey's Audio for encoding own stuff.. 

Don't worry, the beauty of lossless compression is that you can switch formats any day without compromising quality (duh  )
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #2
Just because I could, I recently decided to "upgrade" a bunch of FLAC files from a pre-1.1.0 version to 1.1.0, in the process ensuring that all of them were compressed with --best.  I don't have any intentions of switching formats, but I do enjoy the luxury of being able to decode and re-encode lossless files as much as I want.  So no, you're not crazy or neurotic...we're just typical audiophiles that treat our music with a certain blend of paranoia and indecisiveness.

Reply #3
haha, good to see i'm not alone on this...