Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newb wanting help with acoustics (near-field, desktop setup) (Read 4633 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Newb wanting help with acoustics (near-field, desktop setup)

Reply #25
If you look through Thomann's selection of measurement mics, even with the cheapest one, once you've got a phantom power preamp, mic stand+clamp and a cable, you'll be paying nearly the same as for a UMIK-1. And the UMIK-1 will be 100% plug and play and works directly with REW.

Literally the only reason why I didn't get one myself is because I already had the measurement mic that came with the DSP box I use as a crossover+EQ.

If you don't want to pay the tolls and taxes, why not set a search agent on DBA.dk for a measurement mic or a UMIK-1 specifically? They do sometimes pop up at decent prices second hand (once people are done using them).

Where in Denmark are you located? Perhaps someone close by could be persuaded to swing by and help you with some measurements?

Reply #26
Now, I am wondering what I can do and what is worth doing with a measurement mic besides correcting frequency response as I have tried to so far.
It really depends on how far you want to go...    It's important to get a good measurement before doing any acoustic treatment (and after).    Acoustic treatment isn't cheap and trial-and-error could get very expensive (and time-consuming).      But, EQ is free (in software) and most people simply EQ by ear for a sound they like.

If you are doing audio production (mixing & mastering) it's important to have accuracy (and that requires accurate measurements).    If you are listening for pleasure, it's not so critical, unless you want to be critical and want  to have an accurate listening environment, and you have the budget for it.     You might not like the sound after measuring and adjusting, and you might end-up with different EQ anyway....

I might consider buying a sound card for dsp purposes if it is worth it.
I'm not sure what a new oundcard will give you that you don't have now.    Some soundcards do come with driver utilities that have EQ and other "enhancements". 

You might want to get a stand-alone equalizer.    JBL used to make a room measurement & correction gizmo that came with a microphone, but it looks like it's been discontinued.   You can buy other automatic equalizers, but I think they tend to be more expensive.

Reply #27
UPDATE: I chose to bleed the money for the UMIK-1 from a local hifi store. Been doing some measurements and experimenting, though nothing serious yet. So now I obviously want to make the best out of it.

Do you know any good ressources on doing the measurements and equalization? Or perhaps you have some general tips, knowing my setup. Eg. how much smoothing should I apply, should I measure both speakers playing simultaneously etc, should I take several measurements and average.. It seems that this is all about trade-offs as no method is perfect.

Basically, I guess I need some good ressources as the subject is vast and it can get as advanced as you want it to be. Very hard to approach.

I'd prefer using my computer for doing the corrections, and if possible the software 'Equalizer APO', which seems to support EQ and FIR-filters while being system-wide, and it is also free.

I can't imagine doing much room treatment besides an odd bass trap in the corner and maybe some acoustic foam on the back wall, though that would be really ugly.

Thanks for your elaborate replies.