Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp MP3 ReplayGain support? (Read 4096 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp MP3 ReplayGain support?

Simple question: are there any plugins for winamp that support replaygain for mp3s?  PP's updated plugins for vorbis work great with oggs, but I can't find anything similar for mp3s --- is there one?

Reply #1
I know it is fully built into WA3 Beta3, but for Winamp2 you would have to physically add it to in_mp3.dll

You can maybe get someone to add it to MAD

Reply #2
this is a dsp plug for winamp that calulate replaygain for any file.

what i'm thinking of doing is modding it to only calculate mp3s and store the value is the id3 tag, rather than in a text file (i move my mp3s around too much for that to practical)

www.xs4all.nl/~walterln/replaygain

-J
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

Reply #3
Hi there,

I'm rather a newbie to mp3 normalization.

1. Has anything changed on this topic (ReplayGain support) ? Any new info available ?

2. What are today my options when Winamp 2 is my player ?  (I just want to kick-off Winamp (perhaps install a plug-in) and start listening to my CDs. I don't want to start programming.)

3. Are there any other players that support ReplayGain ?

4. What's all this talk about MP3Gain and Vorbis ?
4.1 Do they both apply ReplayGain ?
4.2 Do they only differ in how they store their info in the mp3s (Vorbis=id tag)
4.3 Does Winamp2 "support" Vorbis ? If yes, how (plugin ?) ?

Cheers,

Edwin

Reply #4
3. Are there any other players that support ReplayGain ?

Yes, Foobar 2000
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #5
4.3 Does Winamp2 "support" Vorbis ? If yes, how (plugin ?)
                       HAPPY NEW YEAR

Yes, you don't need any plugin, winamp 2.x supports it ogg vorbis (native)
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #6
2. What are today my options when Winamp 2 is my player ?  (I just want to kick-off Winamp (perhaps install a plug-in) and start listening to my CDs. I don't want to start programming.)

¿ If you're asking how to play CD's with Winamp ?:
Winamp 2.81 has a default CD plugin.
Go into Prefs > File types > make sure "Associate with audio CDs" is checked.

If that doesn't work get the CDReader plugin for Winamp.

Be sure to read the readme.txt that comes with it,
for instructions on how to disable the default CD plugin.

Reply #7
Hi!
What does "Winamp support Replay-gain" exactly mean?
That I can stop to use Mp3-gain?
And what about Windows Media Player? What kind of advantage can I have using an mp3 player that supports replay-gain? 

Reply #8
Hi!
What does "Winamp support Replay-gain" exactly mean?
That I can stop to use Mp3-gain?
And what about Windows Media Player? What kind of advantage can I have using an mp3 player that supports replay-gain? 

It means (I think), using APE2 tags for storing/reading the replaygain data like Vorbis replaygains, so you can have the Mp3 in the original volume and tags for both Album and Track/Radio Gain, and choose between them, AFAIK foobar2K is the only Mp3 player that supports this. The difference between tags and Mp3Gain style adjudments is that you just have to strip the tag and the gain is gone, you don't have to remember the original gain, since it is not aplied in the file itself.

The APE2 tag and MP3gain aproach to replaygain are different but basicly do the same.

PS. Sorry for my bad English
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."